RYAN GARCIA down once but got the KO vs CAMPBELL in USA

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
TopNotch86

Re: RYAN GARCIA down once but got the KO vs CAMPBELL in USA

Post by TopNotch86 »

Tanks a tough fight for him for sure. Ryan needs to improve defensively but he did get off the deck and recover nicely. Tanks got more pop and hand speed than campbell so he’ll need to be cautious of taking shots like that. Ryans got a 1 hitter quitter too though so who knows. Canelos D has improved significantly under the reynosos so maybe ryans can too. He definitely has promise offensively and seems to be incredibly marketable. I think hes a little corny myself but hes wildly popular in the younger demographic
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Campbell has no killer instinct and Garcia’s footwork is pretty bad, but it was a fun fight
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Now of course Oscar is backpedaling about Garcia fighting Tank next. Saying shit like " Ryan doesn't need the other champions, they need him", and "maybe Ryan's not quite ready for Davis".

But did we expect anything different? The Campbell fight scared the shit out of them. Don't expect Garcia in the ring against anybody worth a damn for a while.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:15 am Now of course Oscar is backpedaling about Garcia fighting Tank next. Saying shit like " Ryan doesn't need the other champions, they need him", and "maybe Ryan's not quite ready for Davis".

But did we expect anything different? The Campbell fight scared the shit out of them. Don't expect Garcia in the ring against anybody worth a damn for a while.
Yeah. Not surprised at all.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Kid has elite hand speed, pop on the hooks, really good timing, balls to throw with his opponent and heart to get up off the canvass and still go for the kill. Footwork is sloppy alongside his posture, too upright and stiff, and tendency to back up with his head on a tee that need fixing. With Canelo's team he is definitely in the proper hands to remedy his flaws.

Just as some folks are too quick with hype, some are too damn quick with the salt. Kahn didn't get his ass back up when Prescott dropped him and Luke Cambell had never been stopped or dominated while facing Lomachenko and Linares. Either way the kids' story plays, it looks like it will entertain.
BadlyBrowned
______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:07 am Just as some folks are too quick with hype, some are too damn quick with the salt.
People just find him annoying because if he's not training he's always engaging in social media so they just want him to shut up.

Be that as it may, I find Tank even more annoying
BadlyBrowned
______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:15 am Now of course Oscar is backpedaling about Garcia fighting Tank next. Saying shit like " Ryan doesn't need the other champions, they need him", and "maybe Ryan's not quite ready for Davis".

I too wouldn't throw him in against Tank / Lopez just yet. I think Devin Haney would be the next litmus test. Ryan clearly wants the smoke, I say let him get it.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

BadlyBrowned wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:54 pm

I too wouldn't throw him in against Tank / Lopez just yet. I think Devin Haney would be the next litmus test. Ryan clearly wants the smoke, I say let him get it.
I would love a Haney fight... no more stalling for these guys.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Anybody know if or how many times Ryan and Haney met in the amateurs? That isn't always an accurate predictor but I'm curious.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

BadlyBrowned wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:07 pm
NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:07 am Just as some folks are too quick with hype, some are too damn quick with the salt.
People just find him annoying because if he's not training he's always engaging in social media so they just want him to shut up.

Be that as it may, I find Tank even more annoying
I can believe it. I have no social media, so I'm not really affected by that aspect of the kid. Looking to fight Linares and then Cambell after a Fonseca was the type of ambition I applaud as I do in the way he competed Saturday.

I love Tank the fighter, could give a shit about Tank the person unless his it effects him in the ring. He's been in the spotlight for a minute now and I'm not seeing him look to challenge himself, although he does what he needs to do in the ring against the opponents he has been allowed to face. The Santa Cruz fight didn't do much for me while I loved that knockout just as the Rigondeaux fight meant dick to me for Loma. Leo hasn't looked that good at 130 and Tank has proven power up to 135 lbs.

I do love the young guns(Toeofimo, Shakur, Garcia, Haney) looking to fight the best and I'll wait until that ambition is derailed for whatever reason until I throw them under the bus as if they already have.

I tell you what, 130 to 135 is where it's at for me in regard to future and current fight anticipation. A lot talent there, if only the usual roadblocks can get the fuck out the way for once.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Cagiva9 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:41 pm Anybody know if or how many times Ryan and Haney met in the amateurs? That isn't always an accurate predictor but I'm curious.
I read they were 3-3, with Haney winning the last 2 or 3
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Garcia has options, if the politics don't get in the way and his management wasn't scared too bad from the knockdown. That should be more encouraging to them, that he got off the deck and basically did what he had to do.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Garcia has options, if the politics don't get in the way and his management wasn't scared too bad from the knockdown. That should be more encouraging to them, that he got off the deck and basically did what he had to do.
Definitely encouraging that he got off of the floor. But take the knockdown away, and what I'd be worried about is how easily Campbell was landing his shots(when he let his hands go). And Garcia being a flat-footed plodder, keeps his chin high, and pulls straight back more than he should. I think Oscar, and some of his handlers saw this too. Against better fighters, this could lead to some serious trouble.

We'll see what happens though. His next fight will truly tell how they feel about him....
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:09 pm
Definitely encouraging that he got off of the floor. But take the knockdown away, and what I'd be worried about is how easily Campbell was landing his shots(when he let his hands go). And Garcia being a flat-footed plodder, keeps his chin high, and pulls straight back more than he should. I think Oscar, and some of his handlers saw this too. Against better fighters, this could lead to some serious trouble.

We'll see what happens though. His next fight will truly tell how they feel about him....
garcia strikes me as an incredibly gifted talent who didnt have to work hard to beat most of the fighters hes faced thus far. maybe the KD will be a wakeup call to him to put the work in and improve his D. most of the time hes fast enough to get off first on his opponents. he starts moving up in class in the loaded division hes in and hes going to encounter equal handspeed. if he doesnt learn to protect himself better hes going to take some beatings
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”