Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier 2 this year???

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
TheSickness316

Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier 2 this year???

Post by TheSickness316 »

After Dana and the UFC found out Conor and Dustin were going to do a charity event, they offered them a fight for January 23rd.

Dustin accepted and Conor has gone on Twitter and says he accepted the offer, but doesn't want to wait until January. He wants to fight this year, and the UFC has 2 ppv cards in need of a main event.

Dana and the UFC would be stupid if they don't book the fight for this year.
TheSickness316

Re: Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier 2 this year???

Post by TheSickness316 »

Looks like Dana and the UFC are being stupid.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

They want gate money i guess???
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

the13r wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:19 pm They want gate money i guess???
Then they could book them in Florida or Texas this year. They just want to play hardball because Conor doesn't want to wait.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

Conor agreed to the January date
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:02 pm Conor agreed to the January date
I saw that. Let's see if they'll have the fight at Cowboy Stadium like he hopes.

Me personally, I still wish they'd do the fight this year. It would be perfect for the winner of this fight to take on the winner of Gaethje vs. Khabib and not have to wait.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

I think there's more likely a chance for Texas in January then this year. They already have their main events set for the rest of this year and they are title fights in the timeframe Conor wanted. Which would bring it back to the whole issue of Conor not being the main event.

The only date in December besides the fight nights is UFC 256 but there are 2 title fights scheduled. Nunes vs Anderson and Yan vs Sterling.

The other issue the UFC has/had with Conor and his demand to fight this year is there aren't really any spaces available on cards for him. Being so close to the end of the year they have to get fighters the fights they are contracted to have. Most of the contracts have the clauses in them that if they aren't offered a certain number of fights the fighters can end the contract. Even if the fighters say no to the matchup and don't fight, the UFC is covered on their end because they offered it.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:53 am I think there's more likely a chance for Texas in January then this year. They already have their main events set for the rest of this year and they are title fights in the timeframe Conor wanted. Which would bring it back to the whole issue of Conor not being the main event.

The only date in December besides the fight nights is UFC 256 but there are 2 title fights scheduled. Nunes vs Anderson and Yan vs Sterling.

The other issue the UFC has/had with Conor and his demand to fight this year is there aren't really any spaces available on cards for him. Being so close to the end of the year they have to get fighters the fights they are contracted to have. Most of the contracts have the clauses in them that if they aren't offered a certain number of fights the fighters can end the contract. Even if the fighters say no to the matchup and don't fight, the UFC is covered on their end because they offered it.
UFC could easily change one of the fight night cards to a PPV card if they wanted. I mean, the UFC wasn't even going to have a ppv in January until they booked Conor vs. Cowboy. I'm just pointing that out that they could do this if they wanted to. But Conor is willing to fight in January, though I wish it happened this year, I'm okay with it.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

They really can’t. They are contracted to ESPN and ESPN+ for a certain number of cards. They just can’t decide to change one of them from ESPN To PPV and say to them sorry we aren’t going to follow our contract with you because one of our fighters is demanding something.

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm They really can’t. They are contracted to ESPN and ESPN+ for a certain number of cards. They just can’t decide to change one of them from ESPN To PPV and say to them sorry we aren’t going to follow our contract with you because one of our fighters is demanding something.
But they could go to ESPN like apparently they did to get the date for January. And I'm willing to bet ESPN would be okay with it.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Honest question?

Are ppl still excited about Conor Mcgregor? He seems like such a part time fighter who loses nearly as much as he wins...
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

ObJuan13 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:13 pm Honest question?

Are ppl still excited about Conor Mcgregor? He seems like such a part time fighter who loses nearly as much as he wins...
Yes. Someone mentions his name and it becomes a headline. I mean, look at the fight with Cowboy. They announced that fight on Thanksgiving last year and the fight happened on January 18th. And that fight did 1 million buys. And he's only part time because he and the UFC haven't been able to come to agreements, though he does want to fight.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Looks like Ariel Helwani and I have the same thought about Conor fighting this year

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/301 ... s-worth-it
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Dana said no to Texas

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:54 pm Dana said no to Texas
Fact he said no shows me he's the reason Conor only fought once this year. Dana was saying how he wanted a crowd the next time Conor fights, and so Texas gets brought up and you can hold 50% capacity. And if it's held at Cowboys stadium, you will get more people than in T-mobile arena. Yet, now it's we'll only go back when there are no restrictions. So clearly this was never about having fans in the stands.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Conor finally signed the bout agreement to fight on January 23rd, Poirier signed it last week.

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:02 pm Conor finally signed the bout agreement to fight on January 23rd, Poirier signed it last week.
I saw. I can't wait. I was going to post a link about it. I thought they might hold off and announce it on Thanksgiving like they did last year. So they're a week early.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”