Ppv hypothetical

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

Would you buy Charlo vs derevyanchenko ONLY for $25?

You may select 1 option

View results

jeff_lacy_ko

Ppv hypothetical

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

This is an idea ive had given covid. Want to see your thoughts
NoPropaganda 253

Re: Ppv hypothetical

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

How about 5 dollars, Jeff? What's the point of the thread.
Purses are inflated, yet contracts exist hence the PPV's. Every boxing fan would like to watch the best fights for free, but the business model is fucked in boxing so the only consistent offering from the hurt business is frustration. Folks who want to see this event, whose co-main event are imo the most meaningful and competitive fights since covid hit, will pony up as they always have from Mike to Oscar to Floyd to Canelo.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

If I had to pay for 1 fight this month it would be Dorticos-Briedis, which to me is the best fight since COVID took over. Two well-established world class fighters with big punches, consensus 1 vs 2 to make a clear lineal champ, and a true 50-50 to me (I think the Charlo fights are more like 60-40 and 70-30).

I think it's a good question though. A lot of of the time there is really only 1 or 2 attractive fights on a PPV card, and I'd rather pay less and just have those than have the price inflated by some undercard I'm not too interested in. Both the Charlo fights are good, but Figueroa and Nery are both in with heavily padded guys they should smash. Roman-Payano is decent but not something I'm really eager to see. For my interest level $75 is an exorbitant price tag.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:04 pm How about 5 dollars, Jeff? What's the point of the thread.
Purses are inflated, yet contracts exist hence the PPV's. Every boxing fan would like to watch the best fights for free, but the business model is fucked in boxing so the only consistent offering from the hurt business is frustration. Folks who want to see this event, whose co-main event are imo the most meaningful and competitive fights since covid hit, will pony up as they always have from Mike to Oscar to Floyd to Canelo.

Im curious if people would pay a lower fee for 1 good fight. Thats the point.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

The sports changing rapidly. Im wondering how many more people would pay 1 lower price for 1 fight rather than 75 for a whole card.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Now, that's makes some sense, clarity achieved. I think this would work for weaker cards with a more coveted main as a hypo from a fans' perspective. I want to see Jermell/Rosario as well.

From a promotions stand point this idea would increase PPV sales in buys, but decrease revenue generated as the main events percentage of total purse payout would be greater than adjusted PPV cost. Contracts still exist, guarantees are still what they are, the promotion would lose substantially.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Agreed but more eyeballs is better for long term is what im thinking

So youd obviously need many more buys at a lower price - but if it were more commonplace in the future where an Undercard is on espn then you pay 20 bucks for a lomachenko fight? I dont know food for thought
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

I wouldn't mind paying for just 1 fight, but it really comes down to how much it would cost for that 1 fight compared to the total price for the card. I mean this is paying for a third of the total ppv.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I think most people would pay a lower cost for just one fight, I know I would. If you said to me, I could watch Floyd vs Manny, for 5-10 bucks, I think we would all jump on that.

The problem however, would come from the networks, sponsors, and promoters. Networks or sponsors, wouldn't risk a shit load of money in commercials or ads, for a fight that could potentially be short. They bank on things lasting longer, so they can stuff the broadcast full of ads, TV spots, and commercials. Even if the one fight we're paying for lasts 12 rounds, that's only about an hours worth of promotion, compared to 4-5 hours of a normal PPV.

Same with promoters: The more fighters from their stable they can have on card, the more money they make. Would promoters be willing to take a pay cut, for the overall promotion of just one fight? I think we all know the answer to that.

Good idea though. It would definitely be a win for us fans.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Sadly with stræming and pirating becoming the norm the entertaiment industry seems to need some kind of gimmick
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”