TEO LOPEZ defeated LOMA by UD

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

Who Wins?

You may select 1 option

View results

TheSickness316

TEO LOPEZ defeated LOMA by UD

Post by TheSickness316 »

I read that this fight might not happen. Apparently Lopez was offered 1.2 million and is saying no while Lomachenko agreed to 3.25 million
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez agreed for October 17th on ESPN

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/8/13/2 ... oxing-news

The mega-clash between Vasiliy Lomachenko and Teofimo Lopez has been salvaged.

After negotiations stalled over money, putting the lightweight title unification in Jeopardy, the terms have been ironed out for the two sides to agree to terms for an October 17th main event in Las Vegas, per The Athletic’s Mike Coppinger. Even better, the fight is lined up for ESPN and not ESPN+ or pay-per-view, so this is one of the best and highest profile boxing matches you could make and it’s on cable television.

Lomachenko (14-1, 10 KOs) is widely considered the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world, and he’s accomplished so much in just 15 pro fights. The two-time Olympic gold medalist has won major world titles in three weight classes, and has notably beaten Jorge Linares, Luke Campbell, and Guillermo Rigondeaux throughout his stellar career. At present, he’s got the WBA and WBO lightweight titles and he’s the WBC “franchise” champion but I won’t waste your time on that bit of nonsense shuffling that the WBC has done.

Lopez (15-0, 12 KOs) is a superstar in the making. The Honduran-American made his pro debut in 2016 and has dominated his competition, culminating in an emphatic second-round TKO of Richard Commey to become the new IBF champion. Instead of an easy title defense against some nondescript opposition, Lopez is going straight for the king.

Of course, we should’ve seen this fight sooner (and with fans) if not for the COVID-19 pandemic. May 30th at Madison Square Garden was the target date but that was never formally announced and indeed the date was postponed.

The aforementioned money issues jeopardized the bout, as no gate and no PPV revenue creates a financial problem for Top Rank Boxing. According to Coppinger, Lomachenko agreed to a pay cut that reduced his purse to $3.25 million to help facilitate this matchup. Lopez and his management balked at what would’ve been a career-high $1.25 million, but persistence paid off and the package that Teofimo has agreed to is $1.5 million.

All things considered, that’s not exactly a cheap fight for a standard ESPN broadcast.

The winner of this is the undisputed best of the lightweights, and you can see it live on ESPN just one week before the other big lightweight title fight between UFC champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and Justin Gaethje.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Primetyme199

Re: Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez agreed for October 17th on ESPN

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.boxingscene.com/lomachenko- ... ed--150880

Lomachenko-Lopez - Deal Reached For October, Team Lopez is Pumped

The much-anticipated Vasiliy Lomachenko-Teofimo Lopez Jr. lightweight title unification fight has been agreed to.

After weeks of difficult negotiations between Lopez and promoter Top Rank, the sides came to terms on Wednesday night, David McWater, Lopez’s manager, told BoxingScene just after he said he and Top Rank chairman Bob Arum finished hammering things out.

Lomachenko had already agreed to terms with Top Rank and was waiting for Lopez to do the same.

The fight, initially penciled in for Oct. 3, will instead take place either Oct. 17 or Oct. 24 with the final call up to broadcaster ESPN, which probably will televise the fight on the network rather than pay-per-view, Teofimo Lopez Sr., Lopez’s father and trainer, told BoxingScene.com.

“The whole world will see it and we will get more recognition when we beat Lomachenko, and that’s good for us,” Lopez Sr. said. “It’s going to be a beautiful fight between two great fighters doing the best that they can do to win.”

Lopez Sr. said they plan to sign the paperwork on Thursday.

“We came to an agreement,” McWater said. “The fight will take place later in October than Oct. 3 but we have a deal. It was a complicated deal but we made it. Arum and I have been talking and we finally got it done.”

Whichever date and platform the fight lands on it will take place inside the bubble of the conference center at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas without spectators due to the coronavirus pandemic, McWater said.

At issue had been the offer of $1.25 million to Lopez out of approximately $4.7 million available to be split between the fighters for a fight that probably would have generated millions in gate revenue. But without spectators allowed to buy tickets it was more difficult to work out the money. In the end, Lopez will get closer to $2 million with Lomachenko said to have been willing to give up a piece of his purse to help get the deal done.

“Bob was a complete gentleman. He never raised his voice to me,” McWater said. “Everything with Bob was completely businesslike. We’re both businessmen. It was easy, not easy. You know? It was one of those things that everybody was a gentleman and polite. We had to make an arrangement and we got to something where everyone was happy.”

The New York-born Lopez (15-0, 12 KOs), who turned 23 last month, was a 2016 Olympian for his parents’ birth country of Honduras and has moved very quickly as a professional. He won the IBF 135-pound world title on Dec. 14 with a spectacular second-round knockout of Richard Commey with Lomachenko seated at ringside.

Lopez had been calling out for a fight with unified world champion Lomachenko, who is regarded by many as boxing’s pound-for-pound No. 1 fighter, since well before Lopez won his world title.

“How do you like my prediction from two years ago,” Lopez Sr. said of his call that his son would fight Lomachenko eventually. “It was supposed to happen. God has not given me this vision for no reason. That’s exactly what’s happening. My son ain’t scared of nobody. He’s from another freakin’ planet. I asked him once to tell me the truth when I asked him, ‘Do you get scared when you go to the ring?’ He said, ‘No, dad, I get excited to put on a big show.’ He belongs in boxing and you guys are going to see who the real deal is.”

With the 32-year-old Lomachenko (14-1, 10 KOs), the two-time Ukrainian Olympic gold medalist, who has won world titles in three weight classes, eager to further unify the division, he quickly approved of fighting Lopez.

“It’s crazy. I remember when Teofimo was like 3-0 and he talked about this fight and here they are,” McWater said. “In my opinion it’s a remarkable story. Teofimo and his father have been singularly focused on this fight for years and we’re making it happen. The power of the human spirit should never be underestimated. We feel like it has a chance to be important fight in history. We’re very excited. For him and his dad the fight is a dream come true.”

Had the agreement, initially reported by ESPN, not been reached, Top Rank was considering matching Lomachenko with Puerto Rican contender Felix Verdejo (27-1, 17 KOs), who notched his fourth win in a row on July 16 when he drilled Will Madera in the first round inside the bubble. Lomachenko defeated Verdejo in the 2012 London Olympics.

Lopez Sr. said he wanted to take the fight when the offer was at $1.25 million but his son told him he knew he could get more.

“I told him to take the money, this is going to be for the legacy because that’s what we fight for,” Lopez Sr. said. “But my son said, ‘Dad, I know I can get more. I said, ‘Do your thing.’ He promised me he won’t lose this fight. I said, ‘OK, do your negotiations and that’s what he did. He knows what he’s worth. And with the fight in October, we have enough time for training. My son has been training and now it’s a matter of me putting the tactics in on how to beat this guy.”

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

2 straight weeks of big fights in combat sports in October. Glad they got this done
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Nice! Great fight, Loma has a lot more experience but Lopez looks the goods, can box and punch and might just have that combo of strength, power, and skill to do it.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

The sport needs more Big fights to bring back the casuals. This one will help
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Great fight!!!

And the even greater thing is: IT'S ON REGULAR ESPN!!!
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Lomachenko vs Lopez

Post by marciano1952 »

Who you got?
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Tocsin

Re: Lomachenko vs Lopez

Post by Tocsin »

Lopez!
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Tocsin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:10 amLopez!
Reasoning?
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Voted for Lopez. I think Loma has slowed just enough for Lopez to pull the upset.
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

I think Loma wins fairly easy after 4 tough early rounds
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:40 am
Tocsin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:10 amLopez!
Reasoning?
I think he has the mix of size, two-handed power, skill, and freshness to make things rough and edge out a Loma who is already past his ideal weight class (which was possibly even 126 rather than 130). I think Loma is struggling to impose his skill to the same extent as a lightweight , and though still very good he's not the same dazzling fighter we've seen. Specifically, he is more hesitant to attack and turn up the heat, and seems to be feeling his opponents' power and strength more. I think it starts cagey, Loma gets a bit of an edge, then Lopez starts coming on and putting it on him for a close but deserved decision.

A Lopez win would give us a new star who probably has a lot of years left in the game, it would be a good thing.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

dwightmac83 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:09 pm I think Loma wins fairly easy after 4 tough early rounds
I do think Loma needs to weather the early storm, but I don't think the end will be easy for the Ukrainian, unless Teofimo becomes mentally frustrated in the ring as we saw vs. physically challenging Masayoshi Nakatani. If Teofimo keeps his cool and his shots straight after the first third of the fight, this scrap could go down to the wire. He is fast, strong and long enough to catch Loma coming in with a short, straight counters a la Linares, if he can maintain focus, easier said than done vs. a talent of Loma's stature. The weight class and aging process are also variables that could inhibit a Loma route.

I like Loma here, but I wouldn't wager a large sum on this one.
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:54 am
dwightmac83 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:09 pm I think Loma wins fairly easy after 4 tough early rounds
I do think Loma needs to weather the early storm, but I don't think the end will be easy for the Ukrainian, unless Teofimo becomes mentally frustrated in the ring as we saw vs. physically challenging Masayoshi Nakatani. If Teofimo keeps his cool and his shots straight after the first third of the fight, this scrap could go down to the wire. He is fast, strong and long enough to catch Loma coming in with a short, straight counters a la Linares, if he can maintain focus, easier said than done vs. a talent of Loma's stature. The weight class and aging process are also variables that could inhibit a Loma route.

I like Loma here, but I wouldn't wager a large sum on this one.
Good breakdown. I probably should have worded it different instead of saying easy i should have said tough hard fought win. Because i do believe Loma will win and he is maxed out at this weight so the size will play a big role. I just don't believe Lopez can catch Loma therefore in will win a 8-4 ish type of fight. But i wouldn't bet any money on this fight.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

I got Loma
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Loma likely wins but he better be more cautious than usual. Lopez is going to be looking to time Loma with a big right hand straight up the middle
NoPropaganda 253

marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Loma Always Starts off a little Slow until he figures his guy out.......first 4 rounds will likely be very cagey.....Loma is fighting Well Above his best weight class so the Size and youth of Lopez will play a part.....But i think the most likely scenario is Loma by UD or Later TKO oonce Lopez has Slowed a little and Loma has him where he wants him....
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

TTR TO RECOGNIZE ROSARIO-CHARLO AND LOMACHENKO-LOPEZ WINNERS AS LINEAL CHAMPIONS

Post by KSTAT124 »

KSTAT124

Re: TTR TO RECOGNIZE ROSARIO-CHARLO AND LOMACHENKO-LOPEZ WINNERS AS LINEAL CHAMPIONS

Post by KSTAT124 »

bump
NoPropaganda 253

Re: TTR TO RECOGNIZE ROSARIO-CHARLO AND LOMACHENKO-LOPEZ WINNERS AS LINEAL CHAMPIONS

As they should be. Good call Professor Stat
Primetyme199

Teofimo Lopez: There's No Rematch Clause In Contracts For Lomachenko Fight

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.boxingscene.com/teofimo-lop ... ht--151764

Whoever wins the Vasiliy Lomachenko-Teofimo Lopez fight won’t owe his opponent a rematch.

Lopez confirmed during a recent appearance on the DAZN/SiriusXM “Ak And Barak Show” that there is not a rematch clause in the contracts for their lightweight title unification fight. Ukraine’s Lomachenko (14-1, 10 KOs) and Brooklyn’s Lopez (15-0, 12 KOs) are scheduled to meet October 17 in a 12-round main event ESPN will air from MGM Grand Conference Center in Las Vegas.

“There ain’t no rematch clause, and I know why,” Lopez said. “But it is what it is.”

Lopez didn’t elaborate on why there isn’t a rematch clause in their contracts. If Lopez upsets the favored Lomachenko, the IBF 135-pound champion will focus on facing someone other than the three-division champion in his following fight.

“We’ve gotta wait and see, man,” Lopez said. “Right now, it’s this fight and then, you know, I’ll plan it out afterwards, to see what we can do. You know? Whatever the future holds, you know, obviously y’all see that I’m not the type of fighter to just talk my stuff and not back it up, you know? And I step up to the plate all the time, you know? If you don’t like me, and I definitely don’t like you, we’re gonna make that fight happen. I’ll throw it out there. You know, I don’t duck or dodge no fighter. How do you expect to the be the best if you limit yourself? You know what I mean?

“How [are] you shorting yourself? Like, I didn’t need to take this fight. You know what I mean? I didn’t need to take this fight, but I wanted to take this fight. Not because of who I’m facing, but because of the achievements I’m about to get from it. You know what I mean? Becoming undisputed lightweight world champion. You know what I mean?”

Handicappers have made the 32-year-old Lomachenko at least a 3-1 favorite over Lopez. Nevertheless, Lopez is nine years younger than the WBA/WBO lightweight champion and the two-time Olympic gold medalist will end a 13-month layoff the night he enters the ring to oppose Lopez.

QuickStoppage

Re: Teofimo Lopez: There's No Rematch Clause In Contracts For Lomachenko Fight

Post by QuickStoppage »

Love Teo's attitude...he's right people have gone into the fights with Loma scared similar to GGG in the past. They make these guys seem like gods as if Orlando Salido didn't exist as if Canelo didn't bust his ass too... Hope Teo wins so all the idol worship will stop over a man who has less than 20 fights...

Don't give a damn about his amateur background...
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Saturday 17, October 2020
The Bubble, MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

light
Vasyl Lomachenko 14 1 0
:idea:
Teofimo Lopez 15 0 0
World Boxing Association Super World Light Title
International Boxing Federation World Light Title