TEO LOPEZ defeated LOMA by UD

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

Who Wins?

You may select 1 option

View results

ForceFed_231

Re: TEO LOPEZ defeated LOMA by UD

Post by ForceFed_231 »

BadlyBrowned wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:05 pm Rewatched.

Clear rounds:

Lopez: 1 3 4 5 6 12

Loma: 8 9 10 11

toss up rounds: 2 and 7

I was more inclined to give Loma round 7 than 2 because Loma started to step on the gas once he realized he could flurry with his superior handspeed, overjab and flurry, score and reset. On first watch i gave it to Loma but again it was close. Lopez controlled the tempo of round 2 but it was kind of uneventful for me until Loma flurried at the end. On first watch i gave that to Loma. Im more inclined to give that to Lopez upon 2nd watch but can see why it would be scored for Loma. All things above considered a draw would have been a stretch but scorable if you gave the swing rounds to Loma.

If I'm Loma i try and secure a rematch if i still feel i won (yes i know there's no rematch clause). That 4 round stretch he showed why he can make even the most dominant fighters look pedestrian but he was in there with a big, mean, composed future of the sport. A 2nd fight would probably be even better because 1) Loma will look at the tape and see that if he can get Lopez backing up first it would be a different fight and 2) Lopez would look at the tape and see that he took the best of Loma without flinching, and could hurt him really bad in exchanges if he forces them
I hope he gets a rematch and get his chance to win back his belts, but Loma is now older has some wear and tear on his 33 year old body and Lopez looks so much physically stronger that Loma and I'm inclined to believe that Loma had to wait for Lopez to slow down a little before attacking.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

BadlyBrowned wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:05 pm Rewatched.

Clear rounds:

Lopez: 1 3 4 5 6 12

Loma: 8 9 10 11

toss up rounds: 2 and 7

I was more inclined to give Loma round 7 than 2 because Loma started to step on the gas once he realized he could flurry with his superior handspeed, overjab and flurry, score and reset. On first watch i gave it to Loma but again it was close. Lopez controlled the tempo of round 2 but it was kind of uneventful for me until Loma flurried at the end. On first watch i gave that to Loma. Im more inclined to give that to Lopez upon 2nd watch but can see why it would be scored for Loma. All things above considered a draw would have been a stretch but scorable if you gave the swing rounds to Loma.

If I'm Loma i try and secure a rematch if i still feel i won (yes i know there's no rematch clause). That 4 round stretch he showed why he can make even the most dominant fighters look pedestrian but he was in there with a big, mean, composed future of the sport. A 2nd fight would probably be even better because 1) Loma will look at the tape and see that if he can get Lopez backing up first it would be a different fight and 2) Lopez would look at the tape and see that he took the best of Loma without flinching, and could hurt him really bad in exchanges if he forces them
I hope he gets a rematch and get his chance to win back his belts, but Loma is now older has some wear and tear on his 33 year old body and Lopez looks so much physically stronger that Loma and I'm inclined to believe that Loma had to wait for Lopez to slow down a little before attacking.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Cagiva9 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:55 pm I don't know who was on the button keeping punch stat numbers but I have my suspicions.

Now we're going punch stat conspiracy 'ey Cagiva? :) Change that handle to QAgiva9

He got his ass beat in the 12th, bud.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

If you think Lopez won 7-5 or even 8-4, that’s fine, I would disagree but I could see it. If you think Lopez won the fight 10-2, not so much.

If you think Lopez won the 12th round easily, I’m fine with that. I think the round was pretty close but I did give the round to Lopez and have said so. If you think Lopez landed 50 scoring punches in the 12th, just over 50% of all the punches he threw, I didn’t see that.
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

Close fight.

I gave Lopez 1, 3-5, and 12 clear.
I gave Lomachenko 7-11 clear.

I thought 2 and 6 could go either way.

So 115-113 either way or a draw would have been fine by me. I could sort of see 116-112, but not really.

Lomachenko definitely looked like he’d lost a step, and very literally so footwork wise. Credit to Lopez for making him as tentative as he did the first 5 rounds though. Boxed really well. Also showed a lot of guts taking the 12th the way he did, when he actually looked like he might be getting close to being on his way out of there in the 11th. Sucked it up and took that last round, although he apparently didn’t need to on the official cards.

Lomachenko’s a naturally small guy and also doesn’t have the ideal dimensions for even a little boxer with his t-Rex arms and long torso, so he can’t really win fighting safety first like a longer fighter could. He has to get in there tight to do his work, and the pace, reflexes and footwork that requires to successfully walk that razor’s edge are things that fade quickly with age. 400ish high level amateur fights also mean a lot more miles on his clock than your typical fighter.

I’d be interested in a rematch to see if Lomachenko can maybe start faster and if the layoff really played any role. My hunch is he’s on the slide and it will start going faster. If Lomachenko can’t get a rematch at 135 though, I’d like to see him move back down to 130 and try to reunify there. I’m not interested in watching him hang on as a top contender or just another belt holder, but ultimately just an attraction not actually trying to be the best at his weight, like Pacquiao has unfortunately done.

I can see why Lopez would just want to move on though, as there are a lot of other big fights to potentially be made at 135 with Haney, Garcia, Davis and then plenty at 140 as well. I think he starts running into some trouble pretty quickly moving up though, where his size and power won’t be as intimidating of factors. We saw he has skills too of course, but he didn’t show me that he was particularly elusive, which will be a problem with guys who can match or exceed his physicality. In light of that, of the guys at lightweight, I’d really like to see him in with Haney, assuming he looks good against Gambia, as he can match Lopez’s size and speed. Davis has power and speed, but I ultimately think would be too little to beat him.

Hopefully Lopez will go on to be the same sort of champ as Lomachenk has been with matchmaking. He’s certainly off to a good start and seized the opportunity here.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Lopez-Lomachenko Fight Peaked At 2,898,000 Viewers; Averaged 2,729,000 Million
By Keith Idec

More viewers watched ESPN’s Teofimo Lopez-Vasiliy Lomachenko fight on Saturday night than any boxing match on American television in more than three years.

According to viewership figures released Tuesday by Nielsen Media Research, the Lopez-Lomachenko main event was watched by an average audience of 2,729,000. Viewership peaked at 2,898,000 toward the end of their 12-round main event, which Lopez won by unanimous decision.

That makes their lightweight title unification fight the most-watched boxing event on U.S. TV since Australia’s Jeff Horn upset Manny Pacquiao in the debut of ESPN’s partnership with promoter Top Rank in July 2017.

ESPN’s telecast of Horn’s surprising, unanimous-decision victory over the Filipino icon peaked at 4,400,000 viewers and averaged 2,812,000.

The entire five-hour, 47-minute broadcast Saturday night averaged 1,534,000 viewers. The telecast started at 7:10 p.m. ET and included six bouts before Lopez’s career-changing victory over Lomachenko.

The Lopez-Lomachenko bout didn’t begin until 11:54 p.m. ET, which makes the viewership it attracted even more impressive. The viewership numbers Nielsen revealed Tuesday don’t include those who watched on ESPN Deportes and ESPN+, both of which offered the entire Lopez-Lomachenko card live as well.

ESPN has approximately 83 million television subscribers in the United States.

Before Saturday night, ESPN’s highest viewership for live boxing in 2020 was the average of 850,000 that watched a one-hour block of Tyson Fury-Deontay Wilder undercard bouts before the pay-per-view portion of that show began February 22 from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Boxing’s previous viewership peak since the Pacquiao-Horn bout was 2,765,000 for FOX’s telecast of Keith Thurman’s 12-round, majority-decision defeat of Josesito Lopez in January 2019 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The average audience for the Thurman-Lopez main event was 2,480,000.

Promoter Bob Arum told BoxingScene.com before the Lopez-Lomachenko bout that he hoped between two and three million viewers would watch it, even with U.S. television viewership down significantly for all sports in recent months, so that it would encourage ESPN’s decision-makers to air more of Top Rank’s best fights live on the network. ESPN executives considered televising Lopez-Lomachenko on pay-per-view or on ESPN+, its $6-per-month streaming service, but they ultimately decided to televise Lopez’s star-making performance live on the network.

Lopez out-boxed Lomachenko, who was a 4-1 favorite, to win unanimously in boxing’s biggest fight since the COVID-19 pandemic essentially shut down the sport for nearly three months earlier this year. Judges Julie Lederman (119-109), Steve Weisfeld (117-111) and Tim Cheatham (116-112) scored their bout for the 23-year-old Lopez (16-0, 12 KOs), who became the youngest fully unified champion in boxing’s four-belt era.

The 32-year-old Lomachenko (14-2, 10 KOs), who lost for the first time in 6½ years, was commonly considered one of the top three boxers, pound-for-pound, in the sport prior to Saturday night. Before Brooklyn’s Lopez upset him, Ukraine’s Lomachenko hadn’t lost since Mexico’s Orlando Salido defeated the three-division champion by split decision in their 12-round, 126-pound championship match in March 2014 at Alamodome in San Antonio.
lopez-lomachenko-fight-peaked-2898000-viewers-averaged-2729000-million--152608

One thing folks should be able to completely agree upon, boxing won this past Saturday.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

YES!!!

Make great fights and people watch
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Pangloss wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:59 pm Close fight.

So 115-113 either way or a draw would have been fine by me. I could sort of see 116-112, but not really.

Lomachenko definitely looked like he’d lost a step, and very literally so footwork wise. Credit to Lopez for making him as tentative as he did the first 5 rounds though. Boxed really well. Also showed a lot of guts taking the 12th the way he did, when he actually looked like he might be getting close to being on his way out of there in the 11th. Sucked it up and took that last round, although he apparently didn’t need to on the official cards.

Lomachenko’s a naturally small guy and also doesn’t have the ideal dimensions for even a little boxer with his t-Rex arms and long torso, so he can’t really win fighting safety first like a longer fighter could. He has to get in there tight to do his work, and the pace, reflexes and footwork that requires to successfully walk that razor’s edge are things that fade quickly with age. 400ish high level amateur fights also mean a lot more miles on his clock than your typical fighter.

I’d be interested in a rematch to see if Lomachenko can maybe start faster and if the layoff really played any role. My hunch is he’s on the slide and it will start going faster. If Lomachenko can’t get a rematch at 135 though, I’d like to see him move back down to 130 and try to reunify there. I’m not interested in watching him hang on as a top contender or just another belt holder, but ultimately just an attraction not actually trying to be the best at his weight, like Pacquiao has unfortunately done.

I can see why Lopez would just want to move on though, as there are a lot of other big fights to potentially be made at 135 with Haney, Garcia, Davis and then plenty at 140 as well. I think he starts running into some trouble pretty quickly moving up though, where his size and power won’t be as intimidating of factors. We saw he has skills too of course, but he didn’t show me that he was particularly elusive, which will be a problem with guys who can match or exceed his physicality. In light of that, of the guys at lightweight, I’d really like to see him in with Haney, assuming he looks good against Gambia, as he can match Lopez’s size and speed. Davis has power and speed, but I ultimately think would be too little to beat him.

Hopefully Lopez will go on to be the same sort of champ as Lomachenk has been with matchmaking. He’s certainly off to a good start and seized the opportunity here.
I picked Lopez to win, but win by stoppage in the 7th or 8th. I figured his size and strength advantage would wear Loma down, I wasn't so surprised to hear the decision win but I was surprised that it was Lopez who took the early rounds. I need to watch the whole fight, but it sounds like Loma's chin held up pretty good.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Pangloss wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:59 pm Close fight.

I picked Lopez to win, but win by stoppage in the 7th or 8th. I figured his size and strength advantage would wear Loma down, I wasn't so surprised to hear the decision win but I was surprised that it was Lopez who took the early rounds. I need to watch the whole fight, but it sounds like Loma's chin held up pretty good.
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

I gave Lopez rounds 1-7 and 12
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

nice to see lots of old reg post about that big meaningfull fight!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post!
FightFanAL
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion

Post by FightFanAL »

Thought Lopez won rounds 1-6, Loma 7-11, and Lopez closed strong in 12 winning 115-113. The body work paid off for him late and Loma was out of gas. Loma waited WAY too long to let his hands go. Quality work from Lopez though to the body and taking what he was given in the first half. He didnt try to overpress, and cleanly took easy rounds.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”