Dillian Whyte splits with trainer Mark Tibbs just six weeks from fight with Alexander Povetkin

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Dillian Whyte splits with trainer Mark Tibbs just six weeks from fight with Alexander Povetkin

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.badlefthook.com/2020/7/8/21 ... oxing-news

Dillian Whyte is just about six weeks away from arguably the most important fight of his career to date, when he takes on Alexander Povetkin on Aug. 22 in a Matchroom Fight Camp main event, but the 32-year-old fighter has made a big move in training, splitting with trainer Mark Tibbs.

“Just to let everyone know, Mark Tibbs and I are no longer working together as boxer and trainer. I’m training in Portugal, Mark has a young family, and his own new gym in the UK,” Whyte wrote on social media.

“As it stands it just hasn’t worked out in the way we both hoped it would. Mark came into my team four years ago and has helped me turn into the world class fighter I am today. Mark is a great trainer and I will always be grateful to him and his dad for all they have done.”

Whyte (27-1, 18 KO) didn’t mention who will take over as his chief second for the bout with Povetkin (35-2-1, 24 KO), but at the very least the split seems amicable. It’s tough timing in a tough situation, but more just one of those things, and isn’t coming with some big camp blow-up or anything, it appears.

If Whyte beats Povetkin next month, he’ll maintain his spot as the WBC heavyweight mandatory challenger, awaiting a potential shot at either Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder by early next year, he hopes. If he loses, that dream is dashed for the time being.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”