National Anthems before bouts

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Just a guy

National Anthems before bouts

Post by Just a guy »

Pit this if this is political or shouldn't be a thing, but I am curious - especially since we have people that frequent TTR from across the world and it is NOT just about the USA.

Do you feel strongly about the national anthems of the fighters who are participating being played before the main events of different cards of MMA or boxing?

I, personally, don't see the enhancement of value in professional sports to play the anthem. I am not anti-anthem, but does it put the focus correctly on the idea that someone is representing a particular nation?

What I find is that, particularly for larger events, the focus is on the performer and the performance rather than the fact that the anthem was played. One mistake and people lambast the performer. An original take on the anthem and a performer might draw praise or scorn. A great performance might give a leg up or a larger stage for a performer. But none of that is about more or less pride in one's nation, is it?

I coach basketball at the high school level, and I can tell you that many coaches would SO much rather warm up and get into the game rather than waiting after the warmup for the anthem. When we play tournaments and the anthem is played before the first game (but not the rest), we are sometimes grateful that we can just get it on.

Do we, as fans, find value in the anthems before fights?
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
the13r
TTR

Re: National Anthems before bouts

Post by the13r »

me and marciano i think have been saying for a long time we don't need anthems anymore... I think boxing is a global sport... it should be treated as such meaning it has no frontiers.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

the13r wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:01 pm me and marciano i think have been saying for a long time we don't need anthems anymore... I think boxing is a global sport... it should be treated as such meaning it has no frontiers.
Yes.....If they must be played i say play them for all the countries with participating fighters at the start of the show......It Kills the energy and build up right before the fight and is very annoying to me lol
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I don't like them, for the simple fact that it's just longer to wait before the fight starts
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Tocsin wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:57 pm I don't like them, for the simple fact that it's just longer to wait before the fight starts
Same
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Has National Anthems been done during MMA fights? I can't remember ever seeing them done watching UFC.

But anyway, to me it doesn't really matter. If they don't do it, no sweat off my back. If they do it, fine. If they are to be done, do it before the fighters walk to the ring.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

I thought I remembered them at some MMA before main events, but not all.

I could be mistaken there... I have watched many boxing main events - precious few MMA.

Homer J. Simpson
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I hate anthems before any event. Never cared. Get to the action
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Although if ranking them God Save the Queen is the best due to brevity
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

the13r wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:01 pm me and marciano i think have been saying for a long time we don't need anthems anymore... I think boxing is a global sport... it should be treated as such meaning it has no frontiers.
Global but definitely tribal with polish, Puerto rican, mexican and British fans for sure. Look at how our UK posters almost universally pick their fighters in every fight. Heck Lurk made a case for that British stiff Canelo fought (name slips me)
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:51 pm
Global but definitely tribal with polish, Puerto rican, mexican and British fans for sure. Look at how our UK posters almost universally pick their fighters in every fight. Heck Lurk made a case for that British stiff Canelo fought (name slips me)
Rocky Felding?
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Yeah thats it!!
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

I was at a fight in Vegas once and had to sit through not one, not two, but three national anthems. Pretty sure it was a Pac fight. Maybe it was against Marquez, not sure. But it was Phillipines, Mexican and then US anthems. One after another.

It was ridiculous.

Only time a national anthem should be played before a sporting event is when athletes are officially representing their countries...and not their wallets. Olympics, World Cup, Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, World Championships etc. Otherwise, it’s just a waste of time.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Boxing is an international sport and the anthem has always been customary. The many times we let tradition become erroded by the whims of brown shoe types.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Anthems have become tradition - but should they be?

I get it at the Olympics, where athletes are absolutely representing their country with their efforts and the outcomes of the bout affects the scores of the country.

Again, I am not anti-anthem - what I am wondering is if somehow the traditions have become that just because it is what we did at some point. Would we notice it if we went straight to the bout and didn't do the anthem?

Homer J. Simpson
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Are they even tradition? Most cards I've seen don't have them...
straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Just a guy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:54 pm Anthems have become tradition - but should they be?

I get it at the Olympics, where athletes are absolutely representing their country with their efforts and the outcomes of the bout affects the scores of the country.

Again, I am not anti-anthem - what I am wondering is if somehow the traditions have become that just because it is what we did at some point. Would we notice it if we went straight to the bout and didn't do the anthem?
Once again its an international event in lots of cases, antipatriotic rhetoric might be a trending topic in some circles here but the Brits love their Anthem, as do the Mexicans, the Philippines, the Russian and other splintered countries from that region. Be mindful the ceremony happens prior to the main even regardless of whether fights take place in the US or not.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Ledhed

Post by Ledhed »

From what I've seen this doesn't typically happen in America. Or Britain, Mexico, Japan. I've seen it consistently in France and Italy for title bouts. Sometimes the anthems for each fighter AND the ref!

I don't watch many fights live. I just find it annoying when the uploader includes the anthems. And the ringwalks for that matter. Just get to the fight. But it can affect fight prep if the boxers have to wait through one or more anthems while standing in the ring.

David Price lost to Tony Thompson because the locals booed the Star Spangled Banner. Thompson didn't take kindly and took it out on Price.

One of the funniest things I saw was when that Russian ring announcer - the deep voiced guy who's on most big shows - did double duty and sang the Russian anthem himself. I dunno I found that rather bizarre.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

I dont mine the anthems if played for big fights, but I do have a problem with them if they do it while the fighters are in the ring. If they want to run through 2 anthems (no reason for more than that), then that is fine. Many fighters take pride fighting for their countries and in a brutal sport like boxing, at a big stage, no problem the fighters getting to promote their countries. I think it is more for the fans anyways that comes to watch, especially if the fight is in the US and the participants are from out of country.

I also wouldn't lose sleep if they didnt do any anthems. All good either way
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

I dont mind it as its traditional. As long as they play the anthems for all countries involved i dont see an issue. I do find it odd when they play the US anthem when two foreign fighters square up. Kind of takes forever when they have to do 3 anthems. Guess its because the fight is here though
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:51 pm
I mean thats no different than picking your home team in other sports. Its cool to see someone from the same place as you succeed. Especially with smaller countries
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”