Top Rank draws lowest ratings of summer: 298K

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Top Rank draws lowest ratings of summer: 298K

Post by Primetyme199 »

Top Rank Boxing drew 298,000 viewers on Tuesday night on Tuesday night as its Summer Series continues. The rating is the lowest thus far this summer.

The event featured Alex Saucedo as he defeated Sonny Frederickson via unanimous decision.

Payout Perspective:

The dip to under 300,000 viewers comes right after Top Rank had its highest viewership on Saturday. The 298,000 does not bode well as the summer series of fights continues. It seems as though there is a small core audience but the telecasts are not picking up many casual viewers.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Tocsin

Re: Top Rank draws lowest ratings of summer: 298K

Post by Tocsin »

So much for 'the fans are starved and will watch anything' (though I've enjoyed having televised fights back)
Ledhed

Post by Ledhed »

Saturday vs Tuesday would be one explanation - promoters and networks have conditioned the audience to think boxing belongs on Saturday (careful what you wish for) but yeah, it's discouraging to get the lowest rating at this point while you've had three weeks to build viewership. Gotta bring a higher caliber of fights to the table. Plus it's going to take an extended commitment to attract viewers to boxing on weeknights. I believe it can be and would be good for the sport. But that rarely drives scheduling decisions.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I think it's just non meaningful fights for people...

either make a tournament... or each card features prospects from X country pit in vs top rank guys... So we'd get a look at the top fighters emerging from all the smaller markets...

Or just make sure some of the undercard names come back more often like they did with Ibeh, Isiah Jones and Robsy... make hem fight every 2 or 3 weeks if they don't get injured and build career momentum so people can already reconize hem and follow them.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I will admit not watching the last one. I was happy for some boxing but that is short lived when most of the fights suck
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:14 am I will admit not watching the last one. I was happy for some boxing but that is short lived when most of the fights suck
this....i really have not cared about any fights since they started back.....iv actually watched more UFC Lately...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”