Fantasy Boxing Matchup: GGG vs Toney

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

GGG vs Lights Out at middleweight. Who wins?

You may select 1 option

View results

Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Fantasy Boxing Matchup: GGG vs Toney

Post by Primetyme199 »

GGG vs Lights Out at middleweight. Who wins?
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Re: Fantasy Boxing Matchup: GGG vs Toney

Post by marciano1952 »

Tony as long as he comes in inspired.......If not Golovkin will out work him....
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

At 160 toney took rounds off. Hed carve ggg up but only half the time.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

However, toney has beat much better fighters at 160 than ggg has. Id go with toney
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Toney... I think he’d show up for a fight that big
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:45 am However, toney has beat much better fighters at 160 than ggg has. Id go with toney
He also struggled with fighters he shouldn’t have. He went to a 10-round draw with journeyman Sanderline Williams, Reggie Johnson gave him real problems in a split decision win for Toney. James then went to a draw with Mike McCallum and won a very controversial decision over Dave Tiberi.

I’d go with Toney because I don’t think GGG can stop him and although Toney could come in unmotivated and not perform to his best, I think he’d do enough to win on that kind of night.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Toney by close decision, he had the skills to win handily vs a fighter like GGG, but at that phase in his career he found it difficult to separate himself, regardless of whether the opponent was particularly impressive or had a good resume. Draws, splits, or majority decision vs Tiberi, Sosa, Johnson, McCallum, and Williams, having to come from behind vs Nunn. GGG would outwork him and make it very close, but the accurate counterpunching and better defense of Toney would allow him to edge it. I could see a draw too.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Toney would win by a 115-113 score, possibly a split decision. Toney had the skill and chin to do it. I believe a fight of this magnitude, Toney would show up in shape. At his best, Toney still loses to Jones. Jones was simply in a league his own in his prime.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Toney would probably be able to win, but this would be a tough bout for him.

A tough ask for me too because you're talking about two of my absolute favorites here.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Toney - defense and laser counter punches.

I don't think that GGG's punches would affect Toney as they would most.

Toney is also a bit craftier, although GGG does many things very well.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Primetyme199 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:52 pm
jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:45 am However, toney has beat much better fighters at 160 than ggg has. Id go with toney
He also struggled with fighters he shouldn’t have. He went to a 10-round draw with journeyman Sanderline Williams, Reggie Johnson gave him real problems in a split decision win for Toney. James then went to a draw with Mike McCallum and won a very controversial decision over Dave Tiberi.

I’d go with Toney because I don’t think GGG can stop him and although Toney could come in unmotivated and not perform to his best, I think he’d do enough to win on that kind of night.
Yeah but we are talking his peak 160 i assumed
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Tony was still disciplined at middleweight his style wasn't as polished as GGG but his skillset and crsft would tip this in his favor
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Pretty clear cut for Toney here, I’d thought it would be much closer. On to the next one.

jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Very interesting GGG trajectory on this board. 5 years ago GGG would have dominated this poll
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:20 am Very interesting GGG trajectory on this board. 5 years ago GGG would have dominated this poll
And maybe he wasn't as overrated as suggested...you get a few people who are biased and make extreme predictions, and then some people act like that's what everyone's doing, it happens all the time. A good portion of the forum has been calling him massively overrated for years, that's a reason why there were so many debates about him.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=117712&p=1655482&h ... l#p1655482

Nearly dead even. Now...... i bet it isnt close
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Hagler still ahead by several votes and has lots of support in that thread. Funny enough GGG beating Hagler is another one I've the 'this forum all thinks' stuff with, but that thread shows otherwise. No doubt there ill have been some shift now that he's lost, it happens with all fighters, but I think it's been overstated how highly rated he was.

I remember when GGG was still undefeated someone got touchy because I merely suggested that GGG would be competitive with 160 Toney.

Again, this forum has had multiple sides to GGG for years. Plenty of people calling him overrated and there to make his threads some the most discussed.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I said it was nearly even. Now it would be a hagler landslide. Hence its changed a lot in 5 years
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

GGG only has 16 votes out of 40. The most popular pick is Hagler by stoppage.

Ya, it would probably be different now, but I think it's been exaggerated how highly GGG was rated here. The consensus was never that he was better than the likes of prime Hagler, but that's an opinion that's been attributed to the forum as a while.
Last edited by Tocsin on Sun May 31, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

He had a vocal contingent for sure as most fighters do of his prominence (tito nation comes to mind)

But ggg standing has gone down. Again look at this poll. 15 to 2 for toney
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Agree, gone down for sure, but it was never as generally high as a lot of people claimed it was. Their was a vocal contingent on both sides, both prone to exaggeration--that's why for the last 5 years or so his threads have exploded on the board as much as any other fighter's. Like I said, I've seen people here claim that 'everyone' thought he'd beat Hagler, but even the poll you bring up from back then has Golovkin as the clear underdog and the actual posts certainly aren't in his favour either.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:10 pm He had a vocal contingent for sure as most fighters do of his prominence (tito nation comes to mind)

I think Tony Style wise is a tougher fight than Hagler....Simply Because Hagler would be more Prone to getting hit Clean and trading in a fight...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Could be a dull fight imo... close one too depending which Toney shows up.
kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

marciano1952 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:40 pm
jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:10 pm He had a vocal contingent for sure as most fighters do of his prominence (tito nation comes to mind)

I think Tony Style wise is a tougher fight than Hagler....Simply Because Hagler would be more Prone to getting hit Clean and trading in a fight...
Agreed.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Totally disagree with that take. Hagler would push ggg back and he cant fight going back. Toney would counter but toney can be outhustled

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”