Of course Mike Tyson should never fight as a pro again. But he might get offers to do so.

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Peat56

Of course Mike Tyson should never fight as a pro again. But he might get offers to do so.

Post by Peat56 »

Its cool that he's going to fight some 3 or 4 round exhibition fights. And of course they will not be against anyone who could hurt or embarrass him.

But do you think Tyson will get offers from some promoters to fight for real again? I am imagining some shifty promoter thinking of Tyson in one of those freak show kind of fights, such as the once planned George Foreman-Larry Holmes match (which, interestingly, both fighters received partial payment for even though the fight never happened) or fights like Iran Barkley-Gerrie Coetzee for something called the "WBB Heavyweight Championship"?

I just hope that this does not happen. Tyson is an ATG, without question, but he passed his prime fully 25 years ago.

Take care of yourself, Mike. Give us some good shows but don't get any ideas.
TheSickness316

Re: Of course Mike Tyson should never fight as a pro again. But he might get offers to do so.

Post by TheSickness316 »

Of course he'll get offers. I know rumor he was offered 20 million to fight in the BKFC.
the13r
TTR

Re: Of course Mike Tyson should never fight as a pro again. But he might get offers to do so.

Post by the13r »

TheSickness316 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:25 pm Of course he'll get offers. I know rumor he was offered 20 million to fight in the BKFC.
That is probably the further he'll go when we're talking a full comeback... vs someone paid to get ktfo... otherwise it will be like vs T-Rex which was awfull...

I remember DKim had paid for the ppv for TTR and we watched it all... terrible.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Remember he lost to McBride. McBride was terrible. I remember seeing mike mollo kick the shit out of McBride in Chicago. McBride couldnt carry mike mollos jock and tyson lost to McBride...
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I will say this.... 4 round fight tyson vs james toney im watching
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:44 pm I will say this.... 4 round fight tyson vs james toney im watching
That would meet the definition of the sad sort of freak show I was talking about.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Peat56 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:22 pm
jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:44 pm I will say this.... 4 round fight tyson vs james toney im watching
That would meet the definition of the sad sort of freak show I was talking about.
I'm sure both would agree into a BKB freak show PPV type of setting involving millions
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Who is the best opponent he could realistically beat? Byron Polley or Dorian Darch or someone like that?
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

What is "BKB"?
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Oh, wait --- bareknuckle boxing. Gosh, I hope Mike Tyson would not do that. I'm just not a fan of boxers, great ones or lesser ones, doing anything but boxing. Deontay Wilder should no more fight the MMA champion than he should have a swimming race against Michael Phelps.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Peat56 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:38 am Oh, wait --- bareknuckle boxing. Gosh, I hope Mike Tyson would not do that. I'm just not a fan of boxers, great ones or lesser ones, doing anything but boxing. Deontay Wilder should no more fight the MMA champion than he should have a swimming race against Michael Phelps.
But technically Tyson would still be boxing. Lol
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Yes, I see what you mean. But when I say "boxing" I refer to modern boxing of the gloved era under the Queensbury rules. Bareknuckle boxing, while having roots that go back very far, is a new phenomenon.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Looks like he will fight Holyfield in an exhibition most likely held in Dubai or something like that.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

the13r wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:17 am Looks like he will fight Holyfield in an exhibition most likely held in Dubai or something like that.
I saw someone I know post a photo about that. I don't know if I should believe it or not.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Holy's team confirmed they were talks
threadkiller

Post by threadkiller »

I am bad, I would pay to watch it.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

threadkiller wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:29 pm I am bad, I would pay to watch it.
Me too, because especially Tyson and Holyfield. Mike Tyson didn't get me into watching boxing as I watched both Holmes vs Spinks fights and Hector Camacho vs Jose Luiz Ramirez. But Tyson for sure got me hooked.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

If Mike Tyson is motivated by money to get back in the ring I don't think he should be fighting other boxers that are in their 50's. I just don't see that selling all that well and I don't think Tyson can stay motivated long enough to string some wins together in order to get a really big payday, whether it's against other 50 year olds, or the younger crop of fighters in the heavyweight division today, he just isn't good enough.

If big money for one fight is his motivation and I was advising/managing Tyson I would propose a "one fight and done" huge money scenario.

Mike Tyson in a 4 round boxing fight against Brock Lesnar. Get Dana White involved on the promotional end.

First off Lesnar is still a huge draw. Pretty sure when he headlines a PPV he brings in as many buys as Connor McGregor, and if not he's still pretty close.

Second, Lesnar is not known for his striking. He's a wrestler, so even though Lesnar would have a size and age advantage, Tyson would have the skill and punching power advantage. It would all seem to even things out in a way.

This fight on PPV would do over 1 million buys easily. Tyson would be guaranteed minimum at least $20 million, Lesnar probably $10 million.

IMO if Tyson is looking for a one fight blockbuster money making splash and then just walk away, a fight with Lesnar is the one to make.

Add in the exposure you'd get from it being tied in with the UFC, it's a no-brainer for Mike. ESPN would cover this with their bullshit first take crap all day, every day. Max Kellerman and Stephen A. Smith would have a field day with this.

I think the age vs youth, and skilled boxer/brawler vs MMA/WWE personality would sell this fight extremely well. You would be getting the boxing fan and MMA fanbase interested. That's a lot of eyeballs and a lot of PPVs.

If Iron Mike still owes the IRS money, or even if he doesn't and just doesn't even want to think about how he's going to generate money anymore...it is THE fight to make for him.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

You’d have to get the WWE involved. Lesnar is contracted to them not the UFC. Lesnar has no standup so if it’s totally boxing no MMA fan would have any interest in it. Lesnar gets KO’d in 1.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:57 pm You’d have to get the WWE involved. Lesnar is contracted to them not the UFC. Lesnar has no standup so if it’s totally boxing no MMA fan would have any interest in it. Lesnar gets KO’d in 1.
But doesn't Lesnar have it in his contract with WWE that he's allowed to take a fight in the UFC?
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

TheSickness316 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:26 pm
Primetyme199 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:57 pm You’d have to get the WWE involved. Lesnar is contracted to them not the UFC. Lesnar has no standup so if it’s totally boxing no MMA fan would have any interest in it. Lesnar gets KO’d in 1.
But doesn't Lesnar have it in his contract with WWE that he's allowed to take a fight in the UFC?
No clue since he signed a new contract with the WWE and not the UFC, but even if it is that doesn’t include boxing. The WWE would have to be involved.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Supposedly Tito Ortiz has been contacted about a potential fight with Tyson.

Assuming it'd take place in a Boxing ring this could be a shrewd move on Tyson or Tyson's managements part.

Take on a guy with a reputation, but at a sport where his best assets won't shine.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

BKFC to up $20 million offer to Mike Tyson, Wanderlei Silva pitched as potential foe

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/5/24/2 ... ential-foe

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship will next week issue another offer to Mike Tyson in hopes of bringing the 53-year-old boxing legend out of retirement.

BKFC President David Feldman told MMA Fighting the contract will exceed the $20 million offered to Tyson earlier this month, adding additional sweeteners that include charitable donations. He said he wasn’t able to provide the exact value of the contract because it’s still being finalized.

“I think I know what we need to do to make this thing happen,” Feldman said.

The race to get Tyson back into the ring has heated up ever since the former champ signaled his desire to compete again, potentially in a charity match. Several promoters, including BKFC, have jumped into the mix with million-dollar offers, and fighters from across the combat spectrum have volunteered themselves as opponents.

UFC Hall of Famers Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock were among those who expressed interest in a potential fight, regardless of the medium. On Sunday, Ortiz claimed someone close to Tyson had inquired about a potential matchup; Ortiz did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Feldman said matching Tyson with “the right kind of guy” is central to BKFC’s offer, and an opponent like former PRIDE champ Wanderlei Silva, who immediately reached out to BKFC after the offer to Tyson, is right now a more desirable matchup than Ortiz.

“I didn’t offer that (to Ortiz),” Feldman said. “I don’t know that it really draws. I think a Wanderlei Silva, someone of that nature. No matter how old Silva gets, he’s dangerous, and I think that would be an intriguing matchup. Something like that, but I don’t actually have anything in mind right now.”

Ortiz most recently fought this past December, submitting Alberto Del Rio inside one round in Combate America’s inaugural pay-per-view event. The ex-UFC champ has talked up a rematch with Silva, whom he defeated in the octagon in 2000. Silva most recently fought in 2018, losing a second-round TKO to rival Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.

“First, I want to see if we can make the Mike thing happen, period, and then we’ll start talking opponents,” Feldman said. “We’re not successful yet in making that Mike thing happen. But I don’t think the door’s shut.

“He did say no immediately. But I think there’s room there.”

Tyson, who retired after quitting on his stool during a 2005 boxing match against McBride, recently talked up a charity rematch with boxing rival Evander Holyfield. Retired boxer Shannon Briggs also has claimed he’s already signed an offer to fight Tyson in an exhibition match.

“There are a lot of people out there that need help, and something like that could help a lot of people, that’s in need for help,” he told TMZ.

Feldman said BKFC will restart its event promotion schedule on June 26 with enhanced safety measures in place to address the threat of the COVID-19 virus. A location has not yet been finalized.

gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

I'll just be glad when something is actually official one way or the other with him. Seems like there's a new rumored opponent, and outlet who's interested in putting it on on a day to day basis.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

gilgamesh wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:41 pm I'll just be glad when something is actually official one way or the other with him. Seems like there's a new rumored opponent, and outlet who's interested in putting it on on a day to day basis.
Just shows how popular Tyson still is.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”