Fantasy Matchup: Andre Ward vs Joe Calzaghe

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

Who wins at 168 pounds?

You may select 1 option

View results

Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Fantasy Matchup: Andre Ward vs Joe Calzaghe

Post by Primetyme199 »

The peak for both came at 168. That’s where they made their names and became pound-for-pound list standouts.

Give as much detail as you’d like.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
the13r
TTR

Re: Fantasy Matchup: Andre Ward vs Joe Calzaghe

Post by the13r »

A decision win for Calzaghe imo... Too busy for Ward.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Depends on the ref

If he allows rough in fighting ward wins

If he breaks them calzaghe probably outworks him

I will say this.... old man hopkins gave joe hell. Ward in his prime is similar only quicker than hopkins
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Exactly Bernard past his prime got the short end in some folks minds. Prime vrs Prime Ward would rebound from a slow start over the firs few rounds and would get proper distance, timing and angles dialed in and from there it would be school time.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Ward in a close fight

When was Bhop's prime by the way?
straycat

Post by straycat »

Well he was past his better days for sure, he did improvise later in his career and had a decent run. If JC fights either Jones or Hop 7-8 yrs earlier instead of fighting the bum of the month club in that time frame those fighs would be different outcome wise.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Hopkins is a hard one to place. Of course you'd think a boxer that age would be way past his best, but I can't really point to another time in his career where he was clearly a much better fighter or clearly getting much better results than he would at light heavyweight, including after the Joe loss. In fact several of the higher points in his career came after that fight...
straycat

Post by straycat »

He did have a pretty good run leading into the middleweight unification tournament, went on to set the record for most consecutive wins at thst weight and was pretty much the undisputed and Lineal champ if I am not mistaken before his two losses to Taylor.
Last edited by straycat on Wed May 13, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Its easy to see hopkins prime. Look how he fights against Trinidad vs how he fights against calzaghe. He is at his best against tito with combination punching and using his legs.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Later in his career its one right hand, grapple, headbutt, counter (ie what ward did) that style was effective against joe. I assume a prime ward would have the endurance where old Hopkins gassed down the stretch against joe
straycat

Post by straycat »

He also completely dismantled Kelly in a way nobody else dared too.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I think it was the style he mostly decided to use against bigger guys who weren't former super lightweights, he began using it as soon as he went to 175 and got one one of his best wins against Tarver. He fought differently, but I'm not sure he was really any worse or less effective there than the guy who had just been fighting at MW.

I think throwing more combos would've just opened him up to to Cal's superior work rate and physicality. Against the slower, more predictable and plodding Pavlik he was able to box and move more.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Calzaghe is a tough matchup for hopkins regardless of hopkins age.
.I was more comparing that style he used which is similar to Wards if that makes sense. I assume a prime ward can effectively pull that style off better
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

I think Ward only loses to guys who can just plain old out talent him... I don’t think he can be outworked or bullied or any of that... and while I do think Joe has quicker hands, I don’t think he has enough behind his punches for that advantage to carry him to victory...

I think Ward takes it in a fight where he hurts Joe and frustrates him with his grit.
Last edited by ObJuan13 on Wed May 13, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

We didn't see a prime Joe vs. Hopkins fellas.

A prime match up vs both at 168 would be a fantastic style clash. Joe has insane angles, footwork, stamina, punch selection coming forward or backward and a whole lot of heart to bring to the table vs. Andre. I think we would need a trifecta to see who's style reigned supreme.
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

Ward
straycat

Post by straycat »

Common opponents JC struggled early and had to make adjustments against Kessler where Andre beat him soundly, Bika has that style that make anyone look like they are having a tough time but Andre was able to have a better showing against him but not by much.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Good matchup.

I would take Ward, but mostly because of his adjustments and ability to take things away from other fighters. Cal would have had some success at different times and outhustled Ward in some rounds, but I think that Ward does some little things to come out on top.

I do think this is that type of toss-up fight that would have been a good series of fights, however many times they wanted to get into the ring.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

ObJuan13 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:28 pm I think Ward only loses to guys who can just plain old out talent him... I don’t think he can be outworked or bullied or any of that... and while I do think Joe has quicker hands, I don’t think he has enough behind his punches for that advantage to carry him to victory...

I think Ward takes it in a fight where he hurts Joe and frustrates him with his grit.
IMHO, you're pretty much on the money here. I think Ward wins it down the stretch and chops Joe up.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

On to the next one.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

CALZAGHE ON THE FIGHT:
“I think it would have been quite tactical, I think I would outwork him, I think it would have been quite a close fight because he is very cagey, also he likes to counterpunch, I’m also a counterpuncher – I like to feint and let fighters come onto me, like the Jeff Lacy style fight," Calzaghe told British Boxers TV.

“Andre Ward is a very clever fighter, it’d be quite cagey. I’d win the fight, I think it may be a bit like the fight with Hopkins in some rounds. It’s one of them fights, I think I would have beat him on points but whether it would have been a great fight to watch – I’m not too sure.”
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Interesting take, but of course Calzaghe would think that he would win - I would be disappointed in him if he thought that he would lose.

The more interesting take is whether or not it would be a good fight... I think that he would believe Andre's best chance would be to make it an ugly fight - and he might be right. However, Andre's 'ugly' fights get more interesting as they go on, and I think that this would be no exception. I agree with him that he would outwork Andre in some rounds... I also agree that he likes to counterpunch - but I do think that Andre's style would have limited Cal's chances of theatrics.

I do wonder... when they were initially supposed to fight... would Calzaghe have given Roy Jones, Jr. problems? I can't recall when that fight was announced and then didn't happen... but I know that it was before Calzaghe was a thing in the US and it was supposed to happen at 168 as Roy was transitioning to light heavy (maybe it was in 1996 or 1997?). Two fighters with quick hands - but Roy was special at that time, and Calzaghe hadn't shown he was special as of yet. I do wonder about what that fight would have looked like. We might have missed a fight where Cal was introduced much earlier to the US fanbase.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Yes he would have given roy some issues with his speed and style but roys speed was so tremendous. joe would be reluctant to throw which would kill his chances at winning.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

I'd have picked Ward. Though it'd obviously be a close fight. I think he has more wrinkles to his game.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”