Mike Tyson coming back for exhibition bouts for charity?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
TheSickness316

Mike Tyson coming back for exhibition bouts for charity?

Post by TheSickness316 »

Anyone else here about this?
Tocsin

Re: Mike Tyson coming back for exhibition bouts for charity?

Post by Tocsin »

The Mexican exhibitions are fun. I wouldn't mind seeing some retired names return for light stuff.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

I don't care for exhibitions.

I actually watched Tyson's exhibition with Corey "T-Rex" Sanders in 2005 or 2007 or whenever the hell it was.

I'll never bother with another so called Exhibition bout.

The one that I might would watch is Erik Morales asked Barrera if he'd want to do one for charity, and because the hate runs so deep with those guys that I can't imagine they don't wind up really trading serious blows at some point then I'd be interested.

Friendly sparring? No thanks.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

53 years old. That man still has a whole lot of pain for the wrong person. Legend
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Damn... He moves great for his age
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:33 pm 53 years old. That man still has a whole lot of pain for the wrong person. Legend
So awesome
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

the balance ain't there anymore (legs) to afford the speed and pop but it's still very impressive for his age... if he would've taken care of himself, he could've box really late and still pick up decent wins here and there.

I see this vid trending on social medias... it all looks like a publicity campaign to put himself out to promote stuff like this DVD
NoPropaganda 253

the13r wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:12 pm the balance ain't there anymore (legs) to afford the speed and pop but it's still very impressive for his age... if he would've taken care of himself, he could've box really late and still pick up decent wins here and there.

I see this vid trending on social medias... it all looks like a publicity campaign to put himself out to promote stuff like this DVD
Knee on the front leg looks like it feels 53. Father time will always have his say
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

It's amazing, and little bit sad how many people saw this and said in all seriousness "I still think Mike could make a run for the title" or "I think Mike could beat Wilder" or something insane like that.

Hitting the mits, winning a fight are too vastly different things.

I'm sure Mike would still beat the shit out of all of us average Joe's, but that's as far as it goes.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

gilgamesh wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:07 pm It's amazing, and little bit sad how many people saw this and said in all seriousness "I still think Mike could make a run for the title" or "I think Mike could beat Wilder" or something insane like that.

Hitting the mits, winning a fight are too vastly different things.

I'm sure Mike would still beat the shit out of all of us average Joe's, but that's as far as it goes.
It's nostalgia.
NoPropaganda 253

Mike could knock out a much higher caliber man than the average joe even at 53, but the other hyperbole is nonsense and to be expected in 2020.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:51 pm Mike could knock out a much higher caliber man than the average joe even at 53, but the other hyperbole is nonsense and to be expected in 2020.
I mean he could beat some chinny Journeymen maybe, but I don't see him beating anyone in the Top 50 at this point.

Kevin McBride wasn't considered Top 30 when he beat Mike 14 years ago.

That being said, student of the game that he is, I'm sure Mike is not foolish enough to think he could make a comeback, and in fairness to him he hasn't even suggested anything of the sort, just some fans talking out of their ass.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

If we are talking boxers, obviously he's not beating anyone worth much considering he couldn't go past 6 rounds vs mediocre McBride 15 years ago. As far as random untrained dudes on the street go, I'm sure he'd still beat them all up, whether they are tough guys or not.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Heard hes been offered $20mill to fight in the bareknuckle circuit
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

TopNotch86 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:44 am Heard hes been offered $20mill to fight in the bareknuckle circuit
He’s 53 years old, but depending on how much money he currently has, he really has to sit down and think about that offer. I hope he’s doing well financially and doesn’t have to take the fight, but 20MIL is just so much damn money... he might be smart to take it... who knows
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

ObJuan13 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:26 pm
TopNotch86 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:44 am Heard hes been offered $20mill to fight in the bareknuckle circuit
He’s 53 years old, but depending on how much money he currently has, he really has to sit down and think about that offer. I hope he’s doing well financially and doesn’t have to take the fight, but 20MIL is just so much damn money... he might be smart to take it... who knows
I'd take it if I were him honestly. Because the Bareknuckle Fighting Championship will probably be very happy to scrape the bottom of the barrel, and find someone that's very, very beatable for him to fight. Because they'd hope to have him fight more than once for them I'm sure so they'd dig up corpses if they needed to just for him to look badass, and sell some PPV's.

Maybe Tank Abbott or someone like that would be interested.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

John Fury called him out too.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

gilgamesh wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:16 pm
ObJuan13 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:26 pm
I'd take it if I were him honestly. Because the Bareknuckle Fighting Championship will probably be very happy to scrape the bottom of the barrel, and find someone that's very, very beatable for him to fight. Because they'd hope to have him fight more than once for them I'm sure so they'd dig up corpses if they needed to just for him to look badass, and sell some PPV's.

Maybe Tank Abbott or someone like that would be interested.
If they feed him a tomato can then yeah, there’s really nothing to think about, even if it’s a bum who has a shot at beating home... as long as it’s not anyone who would really hurt him, he should probably take it... maybe losing a fight to a nobody hurts his new brand that he fought so hard to build, but to the tune of 20MIL??
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Mike Tyson is living off of who he was in the 1980's. His losses in 2004 and 2006 didn't hurt his brand. Why would a loss when he's 53 hurt his brand?

Hell even if it did, is his "brand" gonna be making him 20 Million dollars in the next 5 or 10 years?
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

gilgamesh wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:10 pm Mike Tyson is living off of who he was in the 1980's. His losses in 2004 and 2006 didn't hurt his brand. Why would a loss when he's 53 hurt his brand?

Hell even if it did, is his "brand" gonna be making him 20 Million dollars in the next 5 or 10 years?
I don’t know... he’s got the “respected elder statesmen” thing going for him now with his podcast and social media stuff... so maybe that would take a hit... but you’re probably right
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Rumor hes fighting shannon briggs but sounds bogus to me
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.badlefthook.com/2020/5/7/21 ... oxing-news

Mike Tyson vs Shannon Briggs is not set for Bare Knuckle FC
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I mean IF that were to happen briggs would crush him.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Someone created a fake account of the BKFC president and tweeted that they both agreed to fight.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

I have heard he will fight some exhibitions. So, what would that mean? Some 3, 4 rounders? Against who? No one of note, I would assume.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”