What Fight Got You Into Boxing?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Slippery Pete II

What Fight Got You Into Boxing?

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Mine was Gerrie Coetzee vs Renaldo Snipes.

It was 1981 and I was 9 years old. My brother and I watched it on one of the big three networks (I think it was CBS).
This fight had some really good action. Good enough to make me want to seek out more of the fight game.

Snipes survived two knockdowns and got a highly controversial split decision win. It's considered one of the more blatant robberies of the 80's.

I was hooked after watching that fight.

What fight got you into boxing?
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Re: What Fight Got You Into Boxing?

Post by marciano1952 »

the one that really Hooked me was Emanuel Augustus vs Ray Oliveira on FNF
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

I started getting into boxing watching old Mike Tyson fights on ESPN Classic when they were shown 5 days a week.

But I guess the one fight that I watched live and caught my eye and got me more hooked is Tyson vs. Lewis.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Hagler vs. Sugar Ray. I was 10. TV got brought out from the "tv room" at my Grandparents for the first time in my life during dinner. Sugar Ray fascinated me and I though he won clean as a kid. Watched it later in life and saw it much closer. I was hooked after that evening.

gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Leonard Dorin vs Raul Balbi - January 5, 2002

Larry Merchant on commentary: "What's this show called? Real men, real fights?"
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

marciano1952 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:44 pm the one that really Hooked me was Emanuel Augustus vs Ray Oliveira on FNF
I always thought it was a really honorable thing of Emanuel Augustus to do that when Ray Oliveira was hurt by an accidental blow to the back of the head, and was showing obvious pain, and trying to fight on in spite of it Augustus never threw another shot at his head for the remainder of the bout.

Eventually Smoger stopped it because it was obvious Oliveira was in no condition to continue.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Paulie Ayala vs Bones Adams
elterrible

Post by elterrible »

Trinidad-camacho was the first fight i remember watching on PPV.

I believe it was the chavez-whitaker card, early 90s.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:46 pm Hagler vs. Sugar Ray. I was 10. TV got brought out from the "tv room" at my Grandparents for the first time in my life during dinner. Sugar Ray fascinated me and I though he won clean as a kid. Watched it later in life and saw it much closer. I was hooked after that evening.

Damn you about 20yrs older than I would of figured.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I was a mma fan... we had MMA on cable before it was in US... it was on RDS and they were showing Vale Tudo (brazil) and UCC which became TKO... (David Loiseau and George St_Pierre...)...

My friend had a black box which could decode analog PPV channels... So we were watching UFC, PRIDEFC, BUSHIDO (Pride prospect league) too...

But thanks to that black box we were exposed to boxing like Don King HW cards and RJJr, DLH, Hopkins, Mosley, Tyson, Holyfield...

But still a MMA fan, it's more when i started to work night shift and catch WNF and FNF which were shown at 11pm on a sports channel here.... I had a TV during my night shift at public works and it was pretty dead when the shifts started at 11...

And one of the GREAT fights i remember catching almost live were the Augustus fight like marciano posted and the Letterlough vs Hall fight!

Letterlough gain

Delvin Rodriguez vs Christopher Henry too

WNF and FNF had great seasons in those years

From then i started to collect boxing and basically got every single career sets available through trades... built imo one of the biggest fight collection known to man and got TTR started.
straycat

Post by straycat »

I remember always watching fights when my dad ("GOD" Rest His Soul) had them on so it be tough to pin point any actual one.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Naseem hamed vs kevin Kelly

What a fight and what a show

the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:11 am Naseem hamed vs kevin Kelly

What a fight and what a show

total package of a fight imo

my 2nd all time best fav fight
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

straycat wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:59 pm
NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:46 pm Hagler vs. Sugar Ray. I was 10. TV got brought out from the "tv room" at my Grandparents for the first time in my life during dinner. Sugar Ray fascinated me and I though he won clean as a kid. Watched it later in life and saw it much closer. I was hooked after that evening.

Not much you figure correctly poor lil buddy. That's why you are who you are lol. :) Good talk.
straycat

Post by straycat »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:48 am
straycat wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:59 pm

Not much you figure correctly poor lil buddy. That's why you are who you are lol. :) Good talk.
Ya got a kid at heart vibe I guess, always nice to feel as young as you can though it gets tougher as the years pass.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
FightFanAL
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion

Post by FightFanAL »

Holyfield-Bowe 1 is when I got hooked.
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

I’ve watched boxing pretty much my whole life. Larry Holmes was my dad’s favorite, so of course I liked him. I really like Hagler as a kid, but my favorite was Michael Carbajal. His fight with Gonzales is what really hooked me.
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

Just from a dumbly watching and enjoying standpoint, Tyson-Spinks and Tyson in general hooked me as a kid, and we always had HBO, USA and ESPN growing up, so fights were typically on in the house whenever they were on those stations, which was pretty often, but I often was only half paying attention and watching just the main events, and we rarely got PPV after Tyson’s apex until I was old enough to to pay for it myself.

From the standpoint of actually taking time to start learning about the history of the sport and really paying attention to what was going on in the ring, Jones-Griffin 2 was what got me really hooked and Jones quickly became, and remains, my favorite of all time.
Mr.TKO

Post by Mr.TKO »

Trinidad VS Mayorga....

I used to watch the occasional fight with my dad but after this one I started watching every big fight.
RIP Scap & Rasta
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Pangloss wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:40 pm Just from a dumbly watching and enjoying standpoint, Tyson-Spinks and Tyson in general hooked me as a kid, and we always had HBO, USA and ESPN growing up, so fights were typically on in the house whenever they were on those stations, which was pretty often, but I often was only half paying attention and watching just the main events, and we rarely got PPV after Tyson’s apex until I was old enough to to pay for it myself.

From the standpoint of actually taking time to start learning about the history of the sport and really paying attention to what was going on in the ring, Jones-Griffin 2 was what got me really hooked and Jones quickly became, and remains, my favorite of all time.
Interesting i never knew that. I always assumed it was wlad but I guess by the time we ended on ttr Jones was done at the top. Also weird o watched that fight tonight out of the blue!
straycat

Post by straycat »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:48 pm
Pangloss wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:40 pm Just from a dumbly watching and enjoying standpoint, Tyson-Spinks and Tyson in general hooked me as a kid, and we always had HBO, USA and ESPN growing up, so fights were typically on in the house whenever they were on those stations, which was pretty often, but I often was only half paying attention and watching just the main events, and we rarely got PPV after Tyson’s apex until I was old enough to to pay for it myself.

Interesting i never knew that. I always assumed it was wlad but I guess by the time we ended on ttr Jones was done at the top. Also weird o watched that fight tonight out of the blue!
They both take a backseat to the Hulkster.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

No particular fight. As a kid I loved watching the card they broadcast every Thursday night from the Olympic Auditorium. Great fights, not so many big names but some.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Cagiva9 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:24 pm No particular fight. As a kid I loved watching the card they broadcast every Thursday night from the Olympic Auditorium. Great fights, not so many big names but some.

It's insane how week day boxing kind of died in America and across the globe... doing the today in boxing history, there were so many great series like tuesday night fight, wednesday night fights... and around the 60s to 80s, LOTS of great cards on Mondays
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

My dad watched a lot of boxing so I kinda just did too. The fight that made something click for me was probably Oscar vs Vargas

I don’t know why... probably had the amount of action and skill I needed to see at that time or something
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

the13r wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:31 pm
Cagiva9 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:24 pm No particular fight. As a kid I loved watching the card they broadcast every Thursday night from the Olympic Auditorium. Great fights, not so many big names but some.

It's insane how week day boxing kind of died in America and across the globe... doing the today in boxing history, there were so many great series like tuesday night fight, wednesday night fights... and around the 60s to 80s, LOTS of great cards on Mondays
Australia is the exception. Their biggest fights have always been on something like a Wednesday night? I've always found that very odd.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”