Boxing with no crowd

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
ObJuan13

Boxing with no crowd

Post by ObJuan13 »

I think it would be pretty cool, particularly for big fights...

Like imagine Fury v Wilder 3 with no crowd... you’d hear cornermen yelling instructions, punches would sound clearer and the few cameras in the arena would be flashing...

The fighters would be able to hear the commentary and we’d be able hear any shit talking going on in the ring...

With all of this covid stuff there is a very real possibility this scenario will play out... and I’m eager to see it.... Crawford v Spence would be another good no crowd fight
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Re: Boxing with no crowd

Post by straycat »

It would be a change of pace but dunno if I welcome the concept thst much.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

its possible... in studio boxing in many countries is almost without a crowd... in japan noone makes noise while fighters box so it wouldn't be much different as far as people watching on TV

for smaller events, it's doable because purses aren't THAT high and a TV contract is enough to pay for the card... happens a lot in S-America in Mexico where it's free to get in and watch the fights... so you know the TV contract is enough for the promoter to stage the event...

I think GBP have done small shows with free gate in the past

The problem is the proximity with the fighters and the ref... it's a risk... but the risk wont ever disappear...
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

If the networks are smart about how they present the broadcast it could be cool.

I think they should consider doing it in a throwback kind of way. Those of you that are old enough will remember that attending a live fight (or wrestling match) usually meant the whole arena was dark except for the lights above the ring. You could barely see the crowd, sometimes even the first couple of rows were difficult to see. Nowadays you have a ton of lights above the ring that project light out into the crowd and the arena has lights lit up throughout the arena making it easy to see the crowd.

I say...turn all of those lights off except for a few lights above the ring that illuminates the ring itself. It'll bring back that old time feeling of dark, smokey arenas. IMO that action looked a lot more pleasing to the eye when the only light was on the fighters in the ring. With the exception of the crowd noise being absent, you won't notice there isn't any crowd there.

I was also thinking...technology has gotten so good in making CGI look as human as possible, couldn't they computer generate or super-impose a crowd into a broadcast that isn't really there? How hard is it to do something like that? I don't know the ins and outs of it, but if they could project a crowd that doesn't really exist into a fight broadcast, couldn't a producer get "oohs" and "aahs", booing and cheering at the by press of a button? How about CGI the Coliseum in Rome as a background during a fight or even Machu Picchu.

These broadcast companies pay millions for TV rights to sporting events, how about a little innovation here, some creative thinking. All they are doing is complaining there's no crowd. Well...make your own CGI generated crowd. Create something interesting for us.

All I hear are problems, yet no brainstorming ideas or even solutions. I'm really disappointed in the lack of creativity and problem solving from some really big companies like ESPN/Disney that have a lot of resources available to them, not only monetarily but technologically as well.

Hopefully we'll see them get creative somehow.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

If someone slapped it on my plate after months of no fights or even right now I'd definitely feast, but, ideally, the right atmosphere in an arena is created by an enthusiastic crowd and is certainly an essential ingredient in the recipe, even when watching from home.

The fights themselves, in regard to acoustics, would resemble The Contender fights, minus the editing. Corner advice during the course of the action and the shit talking would be a cool thing to look and listen for. We don't get to hear that usually.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Slippery Pete II wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:06 am If the networks are smart about how they present the broadcast it could be cool.

I think they should consider doing it in a throwback kind of way. Those of you that are old enough will remember that attending a live fight (or wrestling match) usually meant the whole arena was dark except for the lights above the ring. You could barely see the crowd, sometimes even the first couple of rows were difficult to see. Nowadays you have a ton of lights above the ring that project light out into the crowd and the arena has lights lit up throughout the arena making it easy to see the crowd.

I say...turn all of those lights off except for a few lights above the ring that illuminates the ring itself. It'll bring back that old time feeling of dark, smokey arenas. IMO that action looked a lot more pleasing to the eye when the only light was on the fighters in the ring. With the exception of the crowd noise being absent, you won't notice there isn't any crowd there.

I was also thinking...technology has gotten so good in making CGI look as human as possible, couldn't they computer generate or super-impose a crowd into a broadcast that isn't really there? How hard is it to do something like that? I don't know the ins and outs of it, but if they could project a crowd that doesn't really exist into a fight broadcast, couldn't a producer get "oohs" and "aahs", booing and cheering at the by press of a button? How about CGI the Coliseum in Rome as a background during a fight or even Machu Picchu.

These broadcast companies pay millions for TV rights to sporting events, how about a little innovation here, some creative thinking. All they are doing is complaining there's no crowd. Well...make your own CGI generated crowd. Create something interesting for us.

All I hear are problems, yet no brainstorming ideas or even solutions. I'm really disappointed in the lack of creativity and problem solving from some really big companies like ESPN/Disney that have a lot of resources available to them, not only monetarily but technologically as well.

Good shit, Pete.

I like the CGI generated crowd idea, especially with Disney in mind. I want see an arena filled with Baby Yodas, Chewbaccas and Avengers getting shit faced drunk and calling out for blood as Spence and Crawford beat the fuck out of each other. Seriously, imagine it. Spence. TC. A wasted Chewbacca.

Sing me up g'dammit.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:19 pm
Slippery Pete II wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:06 am If the networks are smart about how they present the broadcast it could be cool.

Good shit, Pete.

I like the CGI generated crowd idea, especially with Disney in mind. I want see an arena filled with Baby Yodas, Chewbaccas and Avengers getting shit faced drunk and calling out for blood as Spence and Crawford beat the fuck out of each other. Seriously, imagine it. Spence. TC. A wasted Chewbacca.

Sing me up g'dammit.
:D :D
kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

The sumo tournament in March had no crowd and i thought that it felt really weird. Some guys might not have performed their best because of no crowd. The sound echoed a lot due to no fans and when Takayasu got injured on day 4 you knew he was in SERIOUS pain.

Fast forward to 22:21 if you want to see a nearly 400lb guy get his knee fucked up.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

i watched about 5 or 6 days so far. Thanks again for posting Kewl

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”