ESPN Chooses Not To Renew Dan Rafael's Contract

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Slippery Pete II

ESPN Chooses Not To Renew Dan Rafael's Contract

Post by Slippery Pete II »

This is being reported by a couple of boxing insiders.

There are a lot of people going through some tough financial times right now, so even though I never liked the guy all that much I'm not going to take any joy in this development.

With that said, I think he did himself no favours when he started to write in a derogatory way about some of the fighters and their styles. He went out of his way to insult a few of them in writing and even got into a war of words with a few.

You can say what you want about ESPN on air personality Stephen A. Smith, but he never came off as mean spirited in his comments, they was always a certain toungue in cheek to them, and when he had a little dig at a player, it was always with the understanding that it was never personal, he'd go out of his way to say the guy is a good person before leveling any criticism towards them .

I felt Rafael crossed the line when it came to that type of stuff. He's supposed to be a journalist, there's an expectation that you will have a certain level of professionalism in your work. He severely lacked that in the last couple of years and when you are using the written word people take it literally.

I also think his TV appearances were somewhat amateurish. He came across as a mouth breathing, disheveled slob on air and it has nothing to do with his weight. He didn't have the voice or look for TV. He was a writer but I felt he took it too far when he got personal with the insults aimed at certain fighters in his articles.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”