Boxrec P4P Top 10 All time

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Boxrec P4P Top 10 All time

Post by marciano1952 »

1 Ezzard Charles
2 Archie Moore
3 Sugar Ray Robinson
4 Floyd Mayweather Jr
5 Bernard Hopkins
6 Joe Louis
7 Harry Greb
8 Henry Armstrong
9 Billy Conn
10 Manny Pacquiao

Who do you Add/Take away and who do you Shuffle?
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: Boxrec P4P Top 10 All time

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Ezzard charles is underrated but number 1 seems kinda nutty

Bhop at 5?
elterrible

Post by elterrible »

Hop and floyd over SRL? I dont see it.
undefeatedchamp

Post by undefeatedchamp »

These lists are purely subjective, I tend to agree with most of the TTR lists. I have Floyd between 9-13, Pac between 13-15, B-Hop I think I had in the top 25.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:35 pm Ezzard charles is underrated but number 1 seems kinda nutty

Bhop at 5?
It does, but he was such a badass
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

RJJ no show🤔
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

RJJ isn't going to make the cut on a resume based system
straycat

Post by straycat »

Tocsin wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:57 pm RJJ isn't going to make the cut on a resume based system
He had the talent to compete with some of the greatest. Was it his fault the era lacked the type of fighters to build that resume. He has a win against BHop early in both there careers.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
straycat

Post by straycat »

straycat wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:15 am
Tocsin wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:57 pm RJJ isn't going to make the cut on a resume based system
He had the talent to compete with some of the greatest. Was it his fault the era lacked the type of fighters to build that resume. He has a win against BHop early in both their careers.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

They have RJJ number 4 at 175 all time

Charles
Archie moore
Billy conn
Roy

He has a prime win over toney and the early bhop win. Mike mcallum and virgil hill wins too. Thats 4 wins over hof fighters. Had he not crashed and burned so fast i think more people would have roy high on lists but his fall was petty epic
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

They have RJJ number 4 at 175 all time

Charles
Archie moore
Billy conn
Roy

He has a prime win over toney and the early bhop win. Mike mcallum and virgil hill wins too. Thats 4 wins over hof fighters. Had he not crashed and burned so fast i think more people would have roy high on lists but his fall was petty epic
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

McCallum looks good as a name, but he was 40 and at 175 not the same fighter he was at 154 and 160. Fabrice Tiozzo had dropped him and beat him clearly shortly before Roy did....at that time RJJ beating Tiozzo would've been a better win in reality.

Roy had some good wins no doubt, and was obviously incredibly talented, but his record is just filled with guys who mean nothing historically and are hard to remember today. When talking about the P4P ATG elites, he takes a hit whenever resume is considered, but in terms of pure talent he's right up there.
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

P4p is so subjective, but I’d say Conn, Hopkins and Moore are the most out of place on that list. All great fighters, but not top 10 p4p all time material IMO
straycat

Post by straycat »

Tocsin wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:55 pm McCallum looks good as a name, but he was 40 and at 175 not the same fighter he was at 154 and 160. Fabrice Tiozzo had dropped him and beat him clearly shortly before Roy did....at that time RJJ beating Tiozzo would've been a better win in reality.

Roy had some good wins no doubt, and was obviously incredibly talented, but his record is just filled with guys who mean nothing historically and are hard to remember today. When talking about the P4P ATG elites, he takes a hit whenever resume is considered, but in terms of pure talent he's right up there.
There is Hill, and Trinidad tho Tito was a bit past his best days. JC waited him out, and that Michlecheski guy never wanted to fight him.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I don't value the Tito win much given the circumstances, but the Hill win was very good (Hill is an underappreciated fighter). One of the best body shot knockouts ever.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Yeah i forgot about tito since it was so late... same with Hopkins beating Roy get little notice
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

What about his win over Tarver?
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Good win but tarver isnt a hall famer i was limiting it to those wins

Montell Griffin is a good win too
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:00 am Good win but tarver isnt a hall famer i was limiting it to those wins

Montell Griffin is a good win too
Okay. I saw you mention people being in the hall of fame, but didn't know if that is what you were using as your criteria.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Tocsin mentioned his resume so i was pointing out hof fighters he beat

Roy has a good resume. Not as good as the rest of those boxrec top 10 guys though
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:08 am Tocsin mentioned his resume so i was pointing out hof fighters he beat

Roy has a good resume. Not as good as the rest of those boxrec top 10 guys though
I get it. You were going based on hall of fame fighters that he beat. So I get why Tarver wasn't mentioned.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

marciano1952 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:33 pm 1 Ezzard Charles
2 Archie Moore
3 Sugar Ray Robinson
4 Floyd Mayweather Jr
5 Bernard Hopkins
6 Joe Louis
7 Harry Greb
8 Henry Armstrong
9 Billy Conn
10 Manny Pacquiao

Who do you Add/Take away and who do you Shuffle?
Mayweather, Pacquiao and Hopkins are in my opinion The Big 3 so far of the 21st century. That being said. I wouldn't have them P4P Top 10 All Time. Though Pac and Floyd are IMO Top 20, which is nothing to scoff at considering the sports rich history, and hell Pac is still doing noteworthy things so who knows, he may climb yet.

Charles, Robinson, Moore, Louis, Greb and Armstrong all stay.

I'd bring in Sam Langford, Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard to round out the list.

And speaking of historically underrated as Ezzard Charles often is (though not on this list obviously)

I'm gonna give an honorable mention to Gene Tunney. Victories over Greb, and 2 decisive wins over Jack Dempsey (often considered Top 10 all time Heavyweight), his only loss being to Greb, but he gets no love a lot of the time. Including from me, and that's a shame on me. So I'd like to at least acknowledge him now.

So many great fighters throughout Boxing history though. It's a shame at the footage we don't have from some of the old legends.

At least in the modern era we can see these guys in most every fight, and from multiple angles.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Roy has a good resume , no doubt, but we are talking the all-time P4P top 10 here. A number of these wins mentioned, like 40 year old McCallum, blown up light heavyweight Tito who hadn't boxed in 3 years or won in 4, and an MD over Tarver really don't mean too much historically when you look at the circumstances rather than just dropping fancy names--I mean are people actually impressed by him beating a spent, heavy Tito who was last seen 3 years earlier getting 120-107'd by Winky? To me a win like that is pretty much irrelevant.

The win over Toney was excellent though, and he scored very good wins over Hill and young and yet to be established Hop too. And even though it was just Ruiz, moving up to dominant and capture a HW belt highlighted his incredible gifts.

Compare his resume to other greats and his accomplishments simply don't stack up on that level though, even if his talent did. It depends how you judge P4P and whether you lean towards talent and what a fighter might have been able to do, or more towards what they actually did. On talent he's right up there.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I have a hard time rating guys like greb who ive never seen. Since 1990 id say the 10 best fighters ive seen are

Mayweather
Pacquiao
Roy jones
Hopkins
Juan Marquez
Holyfield
Whitaker
Barrera
Morales
James toney

There are probably smaller guys im forgetting off the top of my head.

I was thinking of overhyped guys too. Shane mosley in my view was always overhyped. Tito was a great puncher but he was completely embarrassed by hopkins and wright. Oscar and canelo fought everyone but had some dubious decisions (both ways for oscar). Wlad ruled a division and Lennox ruled as well but in a p4p sense i dont think they make the top 10

Let me know who i missed!
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

That's a good group for sure. Ward might also make my list for 90s on guys...

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”