WBSS to launch fantasy heavyweight tourney

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Tocsin

Re: WBSS to launch fantasy heavyweight tourney

Post by Tocsin »

My favovurite was probably way back with KK 2001, it felt more like actual boxing than anything else I've played and had an excellent jabbing setup for the boxer style fighters. Boxing games have really struggled with realism IMO and have been far behind the major league sports games. There are ongoing issues of

-Gameplay that is overly heavy on button mashing and brawling, or just bizarre stuff like the parry system in FNF 3. Jabs are weak and flimsy for the most part and this leads to an over-reliance on power shots.

-Far too many knockouts, with decisions happening mainly just if you try to carry your opponent

-Lack of movements and styles unique to each fighter. In reality each fighter has their own unique motions and way of carrying themselves, but in the EA games they punch, move, etc like all the other guys in their style cluster, and there are only a few of those.

-Pretty much total absence of KDs or stoppages unless you batter the guy into an empty health bar (this has been improved though). Virtually no ref interventions if you are pummeling a guy

-Unrealistic knockdowns that look like the floored boxer is doing some sort of dramatic faint or interpretive dance. A good model to use is the one they had for Ippo's Road, where there wasn't really a predetermined set of kds, and instead the guy's body would just crumple according to the situation

-I would like the option of playing with a ref in the ring, like they have for the WWE games
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Fight night round 4 for me felt the best.....Always used the Stick for punching and that really Set EA apart from the others coming out at the time for me.....the biggest problem i had with the games over and over again was the Lack of interesting opponents in Career Mode....Same fighters over and over and fighter with 20-11 Records being recycled over and over again as your title contenders once you won the title....games also needed more Drama like Broken hands and other injuries.....online needed to be fixed to avoid the hook spammers....
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Winky Wright vs Sugar Ray Robinson in the Middleweight Final...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Tocsin wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:49 pm My favovurite was probably way back with KK 2001, it felt more like actual boxing than anything else I've played and had an excellent jabbing setup for the boxer style fighters. Boxing games have really struggled with realism IMO and have been far behind the major league sports games. There are ongoing issues of

-Gameplay that is overly heavy on button mashing and brawling, or just bizarre stuff like the parry system in FNF 3. Jabs are weak and flimsy for the most part and this leads to an over-reliance on power shots.

-Far too many knockouts, with decisions happening mainly just if you try to carry your opponent

-Lack of movements and styles unique to each fighter. In reality each fighter has their own unique motions and way of carrying themselves, but in the EA games they punch, move, etc like all the other guys in their style cluster, and there are only a few of those.

-Pretty much total absence of KDs or stoppages unless you batter the guy into an empty health bar (this has been improved though). Virtually no ref interventions if you are pummeling a guy

-Unrealistic knockdowns that look like the floored boxer is doing some sort of dramatic faint or interpretive dance. A good model to use is the one they had for Ippo's Road, where there wasn't really a predetermined set of kds, and instead the guy's body would just crumple according to the situation

-I would like the option of playing with a ref in the ring, like they have for the WWE games
I agree with all of this... not gonna bother with a boxing game until they fix those issues
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

What I liked about KK2001 was how landing a jab would stop whatever attack your opponent was coming with. So if they were throwing a loaded up power shot and you popped them with a jab, their punch stopped and their attack was negated. I know that's not completely realistic either, but it allowed you to box with skill in a way that I haven't experienced with the other boxing games, barring having it on the lowest difficulty and just being able to clown the CPU like you want.

I think most of the games make it too easy for power shot spammers to walk through people who are trying to box skillfully as if it were a real match.You could offset powershots more in FN3 with that power parry that would essentially freeze the guy, but that was an even worse system and annoying as hell.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

marciano1952 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:42 pm Winky Wright vs Sugar Ray Robinson in the Middleweight Final...
Winky KOing Leonard and Monzon :lol:

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”