Canelo and GGG agree for 3rd bout

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
TheSickness316

Canelo and GGG agree for 3rd bout

Post by TheSickness316 »

Looks like the 3rd fight is happening. Both agreed to the fight and are taking interim bouts.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/ ... erim-bouts
Tocsin

Re: Canelo and GGG agree for 3rd bout

Post by Tocsin »

Canelo may stop him this time
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Good news for DAZN and boxing. Maybe, Princess can separate himself this time against an even older Triple. Assuming 168 will be the weight class.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

If China is to be used as a measuring stick, there will be no fights taking place in front of crowds for the next 4 months or so.

They are saying this outbreak began over there in mid-November. The Chinese just resumed their live sporting events, but there are no crowds allowed inside the arenas.

Mid-November to mid-March.

That means Canelo-BJ Saunders best case scenario is mid-June...and that's wishful thinking. Just when are they going to fit Canelo-Golovkin in?

The citizens of North America aren't taking this seriously enough. Disney World in Orlando was packed over the weekend.

The Chinese took drastic measures. In North America people are being "advised" to stay home. Nobody is listening. This is going to to be a shit-show of epic proportions in North America.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Slippery Pete II wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:12 pm If China is to be used as a measuring stick, there will be no fights taking place in front of crowds for the next 4 months or so.

They are saying this outbreak began over there in mid-November. The Chinese just resumed their live sporting events, but there are no crowds allowed inside the arenas.

That means Canelo-BJ Saunders best case scenario is mid-June...and that's wishful thinking. Just when are they going to fit Canelo-Golovkin in?

The citizens of North America aren't taking this seriously enough. Disney World in Orlando was packed over the weekend.

The Chinese took drastic measures. In North America people are being "advised" to stay home. Nobody is listening. This is going to to be a shit-show of epic proportions in North America.
Well, I read GGG is scheduled currently to fight in June. So if we can get back to things by June, they can fight in October or November. September could also happen, but I think October or November is the safer route.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

TheSickness316 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:00 pm
Slippery Pete II wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:12 pm If China is to be used as a measuring stick, there will be no fights taking place in front of crowds for the next 4 months or so.

Well, I read GGG is scheduled currently to fight in June. So if we can get back to things by June, they can fight in October or November. September could also happen, but I think October or November is the safer route.
I know Golovkin is scheduled to fight somebody in June and that Canelo-Saunders is supposed to take place around that time as well, but it would have to be with no crowd. And even then, how are they going to run a full, normal camp? A lot of camps fly sparring partners in. A lot of gyms are closed. Airlines are shutting down. I think it's unrealistic to expect any fights to go down in June. Right now it seems that airline travel is a contributing factor to the spread of this disease. It's now worldwide because of it. Camps would most likely have to rely on as much of the local talent they could get for sparring and even then, you don't know if the guy showing up to spar with your fighter is carrying the virus.

I read an interview with the President of a UK talent agency that books concert tours. He said all the tours that have been postponed are being re-booked for no earlier than September. Nobody is going to be playing in front of crowds before then. That's a best case scenario for the concert business, and I would assume sports as well.

It's all a big mess.

Look for the purses to be cut dramatically. We are looking at a potential 20% unemployment rate in North America. Not a recession, but a depression. The live gate will take years to get back to what it was...if it ever does. On Monday in Illinois 65,000 filed for unemployment in a single day. It's catastrophic.

Every facet of life is being affected by this. A commentator on TV likened it to an asteroid hitting earth. Everything has shut down.

Attempting to hold a card in June only works IMO if you severely limit sparring in camp for a fighter, and as a promoter you'll have to hold it with no crowd. Profits for those that put up the money to stage a fight are going to go down the tubes.
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

Canelos slowing a bit but so is ggg so I'm picking cinnamon by Decision.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Canelo is slowing based on what?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

It's a wide UD for Canelo... but i'm wondering if he can make a statement... he is moving to higher weights so a statement is needed to stamp that trilogy
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Thanks to TTR, & Astor I can remember watching Canelo dominating gnarly old veterans as a lightweight on late night Telemundo & Univison cards... Back then Canelo was headlining those late night cards live from Mexico as a teenager... That Canelo is light years away from who the guy he is now and Canelo is way younger and way stronger than GGG is now too..... That said, I'm rooting for GGG in an upset what called out Canelo 5 + years ago but am picking the favorite to win.....
Chef
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Is it just me or is the excitement that used to be there for GGG just is NOT anymore?

I mean, I heard about this and shrugged. It will be a good enough fight, but there is no excitement there for me. I would rather watch Fury/Wilder III, even knowing that I think there is little that Wilder can do to win outside of catch Fury with something huge - which Fury ain't gonna let him do.

I don't feel that there is any drama here, though... Canelo will either get a wide decision or retire GGG by knocking him out. Neither intrigues me.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Just a guy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:55 pm Is it just me or is the excitement that used to be there for GGG just is NOT anymore?

I mean, I heard about this and shrugged. It will be a good enough fight, but there is no excitement there for me. I would rather watch Fury/Wilder III, even knowing that I think there is little that Wilder can do to win outside of catch Fury with something huge - which Fury ain't gonna let him do.

I don't feel that there is any drama here, though... Canelo will either get a wide decision or retire GGG by knocking him out. Neither intrigues me.
the Writing is on the wall at 37 he is there for the taking...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

I think the writing is on the wall, but if GGG can rise to the occasion, he can cement greatness by pulling a rabbit out of a hat and dominating Canelo. GGG is coming off a tough fight and there is a layoff now that will hurt him more than Canelo due to age, but hopefully that layoff can get him fully recovered and he can give it his all for one fight. I still think this fight is intriguing enough if GGG has the heart to go deep and try an take out Canelo

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”