Sugar Ray Leonard vs Bhop and Roy Jones would have been really interesting

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Peat56

Sugar Ray Leonard vs Bhop and Roy Jones would have been really interesting

Post by Peat56 »

Well my friends, like probably many you I am not doing much these days due this dreaded Covid19 Coronavirus. So I was just sipping some Brandy and watching some old Ray Leonard fights.

Leonard fought as a middleweight, dethroning a perhaps slightly faded Marvin Hagler. He also moved to to claim titles at 168 and 175, somehow in the same fight.

Anyway, if Leonard and faced Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr, I really wonder what would have happened?

I give Ray a shot at Bhop. He might out box Bhop over 12 rounds. But that would be a tall order as Bhop would have numerous natural advantages. It would have been a really great fight to watch and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Bhop got the better of Ray.

Leonard vs RJJ. forget it. Ray would not have a chance. He might show some flashes of greatness early in the fight. But RJJ would walk right through it and eventually KO him.
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: Sugar Ray Leonard vs Bhop and Roy Jones would have been really interesting

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Which version of bernard??
One that fought tito ? Or 175 older bernard?
Just a guy

Re: Sugar Ray Leonard vs Bhop and Roy Jones would have been really interesting

Post by Just a guy »

I love Roy. But I don't know if Roy walks through Ray. At 168? Sure... possibly. At 175? Definitely.

However, at 160, the Roy that didn't use the jab and relied on reflexes would be fighting a guy who was quick, had a good jab that could keep him at distance, and quick enough hands to connect every so often. I don't thnk that SRL had the power at 160 to keep Roy at bay, but Roy wasn't an attack mode guy very often. I think it's an interesting fight.

B-Hop... the wiser version figures some things out and it is competitive... but the younger version may not see what SRL is doing and it might look a lot like the first RJJ fight - more that than the Tito fight (I don't like that comparison). Hopkins got better as he got wiser - but I don't put B-Hop in the same ring with Hagler and have B-Hop coming out on top, so I also can't have him beating Leonard.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”