Lets rescore fights

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
the13r
TTR

Re: Lets rescore fights

Post by the13r »

Tua vs Ike now in the living room and ready to be scored
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

ForceFed_231 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:29 am
ObJuan13 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:45 pm
ForceFed_231 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:14 pm

These are the two I would like everyone's input on. I've watched Lara and Canelo several times now. I come up with a different score each time.
I had Lara winning the 2 times I watched it, and I feel like it was clear... but ppl whose opinion I respect had Canelo winning and they speak as if it was a clear victory so...
I watched it and scored it. I had my round by round score card with comments and I was getting ready to write my comments and winner for round 11 and I don't know what happened. I watched the fight with an open mind and scored it. I had Canelo up 7-4 going into the 12th. It was Canelo's body shots that did the damage and won him the fight. I need to watch the 12th still, but I have Canelo winning 7-4 in rounds at the end of the 11th. Lara absorbed and massive body shots and he proved his toughness. Canelo, well I have to give him more credit than I have been and the ease with which Mayweather beat Canelo, well that steps up my level of respect for Floyd. Canelo couldn't get close to landing anything significant on Mayweather.
I personally had Canelo beating Lara very clear. To me it felt like his body shots were the most damaging punches in the bout, and Lara was just too much on the backfoot to ever be particularly effective with his offense.

Obviously he holds his own, and does well, but I rarely feel like he's getting the better of the action.

I never saw any controversy in that bout whatsoever.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Lara was catching most of Canelo's body work and it was being scored as if it landed. That was the difference on cards imo. Lara caught the body shots, made Canelo miss up top and stayed scoring with the straight counter. Not many of those rounds were clear and Canelo definitely didn't win that way.

Still, I blamed Lara now and then for knowing the score and not engaging more than he did. Can't win swing rounds against Princess.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

gilgamesh wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:56 am
I had Lara winning the 2 times I watched it, and I feel like it was clear... but ppl whose opinion I respect had Canelo winning and they speak as if it was a clear victory so...
I watched it and scored it. I had my round by round score card with comments and I was getting ready to write my comments and winner for round 11 and I don't know what happened. I watched the fight with an open mind and scored it. I had Canelo up 7-4 going into the 12th. It was Canelo's body shots that did the damage and won him the fight. I need to watch the 12th still, but I have Canelo winning 7-4 in rounds at the end of the 11th. Lara absorbed and massive body shots and he proved his toughness. Canelo, well I have to give him more credit than I have been and the ease with which Mayweather beat Canelo, well that steps up my level of respect for Floyd. Canelo couldn't get close to landing anything significant on Mayweather.
I personally had Canelo beating Lara very clear. To me it felt like his body shots were the most damaging punches in the bout, and Lara was just too much on the backfoot to ever be particularly effective with his offense.

Obviously he holds his own, and does well, but I rarely feel like he's getting the better of the action.

What indication was given that Lara was getting damaged by those body shots? Did he wince or bend over or anything like that? At no point in the fight do I recall either guy reacting like any particular shots were making much of an impact, very little of note landed, though I thought Lara was landing a bit more.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Whether he indicated damage or not, the shots were heavier to his body than the shots he was landing to Canelo's anywhere.

Canelo's body shots carried the fight.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

That fight sucked and canelo won. Even gino scored it for canelo after rewatching
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

And many others didn't have it for Canelo. The press was pretty much split and there was a lot of fan variance too. Sure, Lara was very negative, but Canelo didn't step up and do much himself either (he did do a lot of chasing and missing however), and I certainly don't see how he won it beyond doubt. I also don't buy this talk of Canelo's damaging body shots because I didn't see either guy take any damage or clearly react like they were hurt. There were hardly any notable punches and Lara was landing a bit more.

The average press card was 114-114, and of 89 cards there were 34 Canelo, 30 Lara, and 25 even

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/opinion ... -showdown/

Lots of fan cards here, with only 33 percent having Canelo winning and the rest split between Lara and draw

https://eyeonthering.com/boxing/honor-g ... landy-lara

Of course, Canelo had a legit argument, no doubt, it wasn't some robbery, but no way IMO was it a clear, hands down win, regardless of what Gino had.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

I'm not a judge, that much is clear, but when I watched it live I did score it for Lara. The fact that I had to watch it again and again, shows that I wasn't paying attention to Canelo's attack. Canelo is a better fighter than I've given credit for. Maybe at 22 he was a bit too raw for Mayweather, but damn Mayweather made it look easy.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Tocsin wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:01 pm

What indication was given that Lara was getting damaged by those body shots? Did he wince or bend over or anything like that? At no point in the fight do I recall either guy reacting like any particular shots were making much of an impact, very little of note landed, though I thought Lara was landing a bit more.
Disagree, the body shots did hurt Lara several times.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Tocsin wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:22 pm And many others didn't have it for Canelo. The press was pretty much split and there was a lot of fan variance too. Sure, Lara was very negative, but Canelo didn't step up and do much himself either (he did do a lot of chasing and missing however), and I certainly don't see how he won it beyond doubt. I also don't buy this talk of Canelo's damaging body shots because I didn't see either guy take any damage or clearly react like they were hurt. There were hardly any notable punches and Lara was landing a bit more.

The average press card was 114-114, and of 89 cards there were 34 Canelo, 30 Lara, and 25 even

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/opinion ... -showdown/

Lots of fan cards here, with only 33 percent having Canelo winning and the rest split between Lara and draw

https://eyeonthering.com/boxing/honor-g ... landy-lara

Of course, Canelo had a legit argument, no doubt, it wasn't some robbery, but no way IMO was it a clear, hands down win, regardless of what Gino had.
It was for me. 8-4 or maybe 7-5 on my scorecard. Canelo did step and land and put some heat on Lara. Lara was able to land straight 1-2s just too far and few between. I had a stretch rounds that Canelo and Lara just wasn't doing enough. I had the first for Lara, clear cut. The second went to Canelo, clear cut. I'll post my scorecard again.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

ForceFed_231 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:11 am

When? Tell me the rounds. I'd like to rewatch those moments to see if you're right.

I find it hard to believe that I'd miss every single instance if Lara was indeed hurt many times.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

ForceFed_231 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:08 am

I'm not a judge, that much is clear, but when I watched it live I did score it for Lara. The fact that I had to watch it again and again, shows that I wasn't paying attention to Canelo's attack. Canelo is a better fighter than I've given credit for. Maybe at 22 he was a bit too raw for Mayweather, but damn Mayweather made it look easy.
Oh yeah Floyd blanked him. I don't remember Canelo landing a significant punch all fight long.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Tocsin wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:36 am
ForceFed_231 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:11 am

When? Tell me the rounds. I'd like to rewatch those moments to see if you're right.

I find it hard to believe that I'd miss every single instance if Lara was indeed hurt many times.
I don't recally any of the tell tale signs of him being hurt from body shots. Doubling over in pain, quickly dropping your arms to defend the body, etc. (thought the 2nd one might've happened, it's easier to miss)

I do know that it was obvious the body punches were the heaviest of the fight by either fighter.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”