So.....

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Cagiva9

Re: So.....

Post by Cagiva9 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:36 pm

Canvas wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:53 pm

Where did you get the %3 mortality number? I have read It has so far been estimated at % 0.1 mortality rate. One tenth of one percent.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... try/italy/

The numbers in Italy, if this ^ page can be relied on, are frightening.

https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-death-r ... rica-next/

I wonder where, between Italy and Germany the US and Canada will fall.

The company I work for has gone a bit crazy. On the plus side, our stock is at an all time high. On the negative side we really have more work than we can properly do. Our product is incorporated into many, if not most of the higher end ventilators.

One of the sales reps, given that sales guys are not always to be relied on for accurate info, says that as many as 10% of the cases will need a ventilator. There are not nearly that many ventilators available if this is so. A lot of our office staff will be working from home but people like me, who share test equipment, will need to be in every day.

NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:03 pm

.1 % mortality rate is that of the common flu. Folks need to get off reddit.

NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:27 pm

TopNotch86 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:04 am
Slippery Pete II wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:15 am
How ironic is it that today China announced travel restrictions. They are going to close the borders because they say most new cases there are from travelers entering the country.

If only our leaders had done the same a month ago, this wouldn't be the global pandemic it is today.
Ours would have been labeled “racist” for doing so by the same folks who are now asking why they didn't do it sooner...
Ours would have been labeled "Dumb as a fucking rock" for calling it a hoax 2 weeks ago.

Diagnose the problem. Attack the problem. Too bad ours didn't have China's leaders intuition and common sense. Fucking idiots.

Canvas

Post by Canvas » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:10 pm

Yeah I just double checked what I had read earlier, it was a quote from some infectious disease expert in the US testifying to congress. What he actually said was, paraphrasing : the flu kills %0.1 per year. This is 10 times more deadly.

So that would place the mortality rate at around %1. That was my mistake.

That would be consistent with the newspaper article I posted in this thread, where a cruise ship with 3700 total passengers...700 became infected. 7 people died, all were in their 70's or 80's. The majority of the infected didn't get sick.

Does anyone know why Italy has been so hard hit? I had read that the first infected cruise ship from China docked there and passengers freely deboarded and it just spread rapidly. I have no idea if that is accurate.

jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:57 pm

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:27 pm
TopNotch86 wrote:
Slippery Pete II wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:15 am
How ironic is it that today China announced travel restrictions. They are going to close the borders because they say most new cases there are from travelers entering the country.

If only our leaders had done the same a month ago, this wouldn't be the global pandemic it is today.
Ours would have been labeled “racist” for doing so by the same folks who are now asking why they didn't do it sooner...
Ours would have been labeled "Dumb as a fucking rock" for calling it a hoax 2 weeks ago.

Diagnose the problem. Attack the problem. Too bad ours didn't have China's leaders intuition and common sense. Fucking idiots.
Trumps a fool but china ignored it for a month so i wouldnt commend them either....

jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:58 pm

Canvas wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:10 pm
Yeah I just double checked what I had read earlier, it was a quote from some infectious disease expert in the US testifying to congress. What he actually said was, paraphrasing : the flu kills %0.1 per year. This is 10 times more deadly.

So that would place the mortality rate at around %1. That was my mistake.

That would be consistent with the newspaper article I posted in this thread, where a cruise ship with 3700 total passengers...700 became infected. 7 people died, all were in their 70's or 80's. The majority of the infected didn't get sick.

Does anyone know why Italy has been so hard hit? I had read that the first infected cruise ship from China docked there and passengers freely deboarded and it just spread rapidly. I have no idea if that is accurate.
Old population, population density, affectionate culture..

Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:18 am

25% of Italy's population is over the age of 65.

They are also very touchy feely. Over there it's not just a hand shake, everybody greets each other with a kiss on the cheek and sometimes a hug.

Just looking at the mortality rates in older people, the countries that have a large population of older people are going to get hit hard, especially if they are an affectionate culture as someone has already mentioned here.

The CDC in the US just recommended that people refrain from any gathering of more than 50 people for 8 weeks (this statement was released Sunday evening).

This will not work. This whole self isolation thing isn't going to work unless there's real muscle to back it up.

The cops drove right up the middle of jam packed Bourbon Street in New Orleans Saturday night with sirens on and a megaphone telling people to get in their hotel rooms and stay there.

People just aren't getting the severity of this.

Italian authorities have issued hundreds of tickets to people that were on the streets without a good excuse (you need to be going to or from work, going grocery shopping or going to the pharmacy for meds).

If you are going to try a quarantine for a few weeks there needs to be someone out there to enforce it because people are ignorant. I know, the thought of the Army on the streets enforcing curfews etc. sounds crazy and I can see how it could be worrying to a lot of people, but what else can you do? I think Cuomo in New York State asked the President to send the troops to NYC, I think it's been met with deaf ears.

Denmark just enacted some very strict laws. Their Government can now legally seize your property (I'm going to assume this is to take over large buildings to put sick people in i.e. hotels, motels etc) and can force you into getting treatment if you are sick. Very hardcore stuff that tests democracy on many levels and they are being heavily criticized for it by the locals. Denmark also has a high number of older people. I think 20% of their population is over the age of 65.

Somebody posted this on twitter: "Our Grandparents were asked to go to war and made the ultimate sacrifice, all you're being asked to do is sit on your couch and play video games...stay home!"

NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:32 am

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:57 pm
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
TopNotch86 wrote:

Trumps a fool but china ignored it for a month so i wouldnt commend them either....
I commend the way they are testing and attacking the problem in comparison. South Korea as well. One has to recognize an issue as such before it can be remedied. At least we are now following suit. Besides the older folks in society, the economy is going to be in trouble.

All bars and restaurants are now closed in Washington state as are those in NY and Jersey. Good idea on the controversial fight score run vback. Definitely going to be time for it.

jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:39 am

Yeah if anyone is in those non essential service or food industry its brutal.

I have a friend who owns a pizza by the slice shop next to the bucks stadium. He is bleeding

NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:59 am

The bleeding will spread throughout the economy. All the tools utilized to offset a failing economy, dips in the stock market, etc., have already been wasted to further prop up an economy that didn't need it. Hope to be wrong, man, but I think folks have some dark days ahead

TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:07 pm

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:

China didn't just ignore it they covered it up and arrested doctors who tried to blow the whistle earlier. The fools blaming our president are comical. Had he locked everyone down 2 weeks ago the same fools would be calling him a dictator and say hes overreacting. Im glad he doesnt try to cater to the moronic trolls because they flip flop the second he does what they want anyways. that being said we are clearly easing into a lockdown situation. Probably strategic to limit the chaos somewhat. People are already fighting over toilet paper imagine if he announced a nationwide lockdown? People have freedoms and businesses need to make money. Its not easy to just shut things down like the asshats who it wont affect much financially seem to assume... bars restaurants gyms etc still gotta pay their bills even if their doors are closed.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."

NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:29 pm

TopNotch86 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:07 pm
jeff_lacy_ko wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:

China didn't just ignore it they covered it up and arrested doctors who tried to blow the whistle earlier. The fools blaming our president are comical. Had he locked everyone down 2 weeks ago the same fools would be calling him a dictator and say hes overreacting. Im glad he doesnt try to cater to the moronic trolls because they flip flop the second he does what they want anyways. that being said we are clearly easing into a lockdown situation. Probably strategic to limit the chaos somewhat. People are already fighting over toilet paper imagine if he announced a nationwide lockdown? People have freedoms and businesses need to make money. Its not easy to just shut things down like the asshats who it wont affect much financially seem to assume... bars restaurants gyms etc still gotta pay their bills even if their doors are closed.

The president could literally shit on the faces of the women in your family and you would be cool beans with it you lovable, simple bastard.

Last post of thread from me lol

:)

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm

TopNotch86 wrote:
jeff_lacy_ko wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:

He does cater to moronic trolls, they're called his supporters.

straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Shit his the fan here 5 SFBA counties are advised to self quarantine.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.

Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:12 pm

straycat wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:28 pm
I just saw that memo. ANy idea on how they will enforce it? Man, day by day getting worse and worse

Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:13 pm

The Stock Market is often a lagging indicator. The deep hurt is already built into the economy. Q1 numbers will show a little, but Q2 numbers will be brutal. Just hope all the money printing will keep the credit markets open and somehow jobs does not go down the deep end.

straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:25 pm

Danielk015 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:12 pm
straycat wrote:
I just saw that memo. ANy idea on how they will enforce it? Man, day by day getting worse and worse
I was home for personal reasons. Went to fecth a few things. Man I need to change the method of shopping. Being down the sreet from a supermarket meant I could drop in for an occasional item or two. The social distancing rule meant a line waiting to get in, only admitting a few a a time. Someone at our district office popped hot and I along with 3 other coworkers was there just Wed for a mandated class. Kind of as close to home instance for the time being. The office is shutdown with all non essential employees going home doing what they can from there. I will calmly return to work untill instructed to do otherwise. Right now chilling at home listening to music gonna catch a tidbit of news in a bit then prolly back to spinning records.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.

jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:01 pm

Danielk015 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:13 pm
The Stock Market is often a lagging indicator. The deep hurt is already built into the economy. Q1 numbers will show a little, but Q2 numbers will be brutal. Just hope all the money printing will keep the credit markets open and somehow jobs does not go down the deep end.
I agree. We have been in a functional mild recession but this just exposed everything at once.

Debt levels are all time highs on corporate and personal levels. A month with little income is going to be devastating. As noprop correctly pointed out central bank meddling has led to diminishing returns. Not to mention supply chain disruptions from china and germany manufacturing while they fight it....

Economic impact is going to be felt by everyone.

Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:15 pm

straycat wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:25 pm
Danielk015 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:12 pm
straycat wrote:
I was home for personal reasons. Went to fecth a few things. Man I need to change the method of shopping. Being down the sreet from a supermarket meant I could drop in for an occasional item or two. The social distancing rule meant a line waiting to get in, only admitting a few a a time. Someone at our district office popped hot and I along with 3 other coworkers was there just Wed for a mandated class. Kind of as close to home instance for the time being. The office is shutdown with all non essential employees going home doing what they can from there. I will calmly return to work untill instructed to do otherwise. Right now chilling at home listening to music gonna catch a tidbit of news in a bit then prolly back to spinning records.
dang bro. stay safe up there

Peat56

Post by Peat56 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:09 am

ObJuan13 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:22 pm
Don’t know anyone who’s sick. But I work a couple blocks away from an area that had 70 confirmed cases last week (Biogen)

Call me crazy but I think there’s a slim chance I already had it last week or so. Was sick for few days... had trouble breathing, head cold and was dehydrated to the point that I was walking around with adult pedialyte for a few days.
I know a couple of people who suspect they have already had it

Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 am

Peat56 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:09 am
ObJuan13 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:22 pm
Don’t know anyone who’s sick. But I work a couple blocks away from an area that had 70 confirmed cases last week (Biogen)

Call me crazy but I think there’s a slim chance I already had it last week or so. Was sick for few days... had trouble breathing, head cold and was dehydrated to the point that I was walking around with adult pedialyte for a few days.
I know a couple of people who suspect they have already had it
One of the biggest problems is the lack of the ability to be tested. It isn't going to do much good if only the worst cases get quarantined and everyone else with a more mild case is out walking about.

I don't know what the logistics involved would be but it seems like testing should be somewhere near the top of the priority list.

TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm

TheSickness316 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm
TopNotch86 wrote:
jeff_lacy_ko wrote:

You mean Those supporters of his in the rural and manufacturing areas that his detractors in big cities are now begging to make hand sanitizers and medical supplies to help them survive? Thankfully the rural trump supporters dont have the same condescending smug attitude toward those with different political views as his detractors do...
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:50 pm

TopNotch86 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm
TheSickness316 wrote:
TopNotch86 wrote:

You mean Those supporters of his in the rural and manufacturing areas that his detractors in big cities are now begging to make hand sanitizers and medical supplies to help them survive? Thankfully the rural trump supporters dont have the same condescending smug attitude toward those with different political views as his detractors do...
You mean wanting them to do their jobs? Or maybe asking because the moron in the White House intentionally let things get this way when he was told in January that this would get bad and did nothing? Or how he was telling everyone this is a hoax and said it would magically disappear come April?

jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:25 pm

Now now sickness it isnt april yet....

NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:40 pm

TopNotch86 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm
TheSickness316 wrote:
TopNotch86 wrote:

Throw a Coronavirus Party, Top, and show all the losers how a real man handles a crisis! :)

Seriously, do it. Invite all your friends and family. Folks will recall it fondly for years to come. :)