Old Dog Analogy For Wilder

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Old Dog Analogy For Wilder

Post by straycat »

Could another trainer teach him a new trick or two to get out of trouble. It looked like in the beginning if he saw the jab coming a quick left counter hook was there and take his chances shot for shot. Freddy might be one foot in the door retirement wise at this point, Hunter, Garcia, Atlas maybe, or is he a complete lost cause retooling at this point?
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
FightFanAL
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion

Re: Old Dog Analogy For Wilder

Post by FightFanAL »

I get the feeling Wilder does his things his way and he doesnt listen too well.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I highly doubt it, he's hardly shown any change and will be 35 soon. He's set in his ways and has admitted he hasn't tried to adjust his style because he doesn't think he needs to.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Fury didn't wind things up till round 4, anything that could made him adjust to find something different could of bought a few more rounds. I did see Wilder try a few left hooks towards the end but he was to battered at thst point.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

We could see it before, but now the bubbles burst its so much more obvious.

He has no left hand, he's incapable of throwing a combination, his footwork and balance is horrible, and quite frankly just listening to him speak it's obvious he's pretty thick.

A trainer can't fix that now, they can refocus what he works on, but they can't teach him something new. It's taken him 10 years to learn to throw a jab and that has nothing on it.

The best thing he can do is work on his fitness. Come out faster and throw that wild right hand more often, be able to take a few more shots. Maybe even go full Butterbean style like he used to be. This patient style he has now means he can't even win a round.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

straycat wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:47 pm Could another trainer teach him a new trick or two to get out of trouble. It looked like in the beginning if he saw the jab coming a quick left counter hook was there and take his chances shot for shot. Freddy might be one foot in the door retirement wise at this point, Hunter, Garcia, Atlas maybe, or is he a complete lost cause retooling at this point?
We cannot know the answer to this. But I would say its possible. If Wilder is open to it, then maybe. But I do wonder if he could. Something I read (was it here, I can't recall) was that Wilder's style really hasn't changed at all since his pro debut. I don't like the sound of that. But any fine trainer should be happy to get his hands on Wilder and see what can be done. The tools are all there - great size, tremendous power, more than enough speed, and he's also quite well conditioned. If he could learn something new, maybe he would rise up again.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

Most people that has ever watched Wilder knew he is as raw as they come in terms of boxing ability. HE has one great skill and the rest is mediocre. If he learned how to use his left, jab a little bit, punch in combinations and effectively have lateral movement to turn opponents while punching, he would be on a legit world class level.
BadlyBrowned
______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

He never had to learn how to fight inside. You figure in a rematch with a dude who's taller than you he'd have to at least get some decent sparring in where you are able to get inside the range of a long jab but he literally did nothing. If he truly wants the belts back he needs to be honest with himself and know that he would have to train differently because now everyone knows he can get punked on the inside and fold
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

He hasn't learned anything thus far in his career.....doubt he thinks he needs anything differant with the excuses pulling up and the talk of how he was never out of the fight due to him having power....he will forever be the same guy he has always been in the ring
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

A couple years ago Breland put wilders skillset at around a 15 year old mark breland

Wilder is a one punch ko artist. Maybe he hits fury next time around. Its possible
straycat

Post by straycat »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:53 pm A couple years ago Breland put wilders skillset at around a 15 year old mark breland

Wilder is a one punch ko artist. Maybe he hits fury next time around. Its possible
He stilll beats anbody else but for now Fury has his #.
Once Fury figured Wilder had no awnser to the jab it was T Off time, then the body shots came and that was it.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I'm not sure he beats everyone else. He's 35 soon and the type of athletically reliant, low skilled fighter who might fall fast when he does start falling (he was down 6-0 and 5-1 in his last 2 fights btw). The first fight was competitive enough even though most thought Fury won, but things got far worse for the rematch. I think that's an important point too; another fight isn't just a rematch, it would be their 3rd meeting. They already had time to adjust and it was Fury who did far better, not Wilder. Perhaps we should have seen that coming better considering the inactivity and dreadful opposition Fury had prior to their first meeting. Funny that so many, myself included, counted on greater improvement from Wilder.

I'd be interested in what he looks like vs a second tier guy now, but it seems like his side is going for the third fight, and I know Deas and Finkel were unhappy Breland threw in the towel and were perhaps a bit delusional about Wilder's chances at that point. I don't think a 3rd fight will end well for DW, but I guess at 35 take the big money and chance for redemption while it's there. Oh ya, and this time don't wear such a heavy costume to the ring.

To me there is next to no chance of him changing much as a fighter. The only thing is that he is an excellent puncher, so there is always the chance of him landing the fight ending shot, even if it's becoming an increasingly low one. Although, even then we've seen Fury get up each time he was dropped and fight back hard.
undefeatedchamp

Post by undefeatedchamp »

Tocsin- I'm not sure anyone has the size to maul and brawl Wilder like Fury did or the skill to do what Fury did. Maybe AJ, hard to say if Whyte could, doubt anyone else could do it.

I think Wilder's game plan was to train to fight the Fury from the first fight who was dancing and dodging, or fight how he did with Ortiz, wait him out until he saw and opening and go for the kill. Fury did not give him an opening and clinched his right arm often taking his right hand away from the 4th round on.

Fury obviously used the Wlad/Lennox style of maul and brawl like what Lennox used on Tyson, what Wlad used so often. I am trying to think of who was successful against it in their primes and I am drawing a blank. Wilder's best shot would be to use the same strategy as them and just try to get off first. But then again, he would still be the smaller guy in there, giving up 50+ lbs and looking up to the 6'9 Fury.

Max Kellerman said instead of jumping straight into a rematch, Wilder should fight one fight to build confidence back, one fight of a guy with similar size of Fury, & then rematch Fury. I think you could combine the first 2, and just fight Price or Wach for height, or Hughie Fury for the similar style to Tyson.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

I posted this back in November:

This statement by Wilder to me shows he doesn't want to or work at becoming more well rounded.

“To be honest, I never worry about if I’m losing the fight or not,” Wilder said. “I’ve been blessed with something these other guys haven’t been blessed with, and that’s tremendous power. I know that when I hit guys, it hurts them. When you have power like I have, you’re not worried about whether you’re winning rounds or not.”

https://www.dazn.com/en-US/news/boxing/ ... cuzwhg8bb9

To me this shows he hasn't and doesn't really work on anything else to get better. I was listening to Cooney months back on his radio show and he said how he'd love for Wilder to come to him for 6 months to learn how to throw an uppercut and fight inside.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”