RIP TO KOBE THE LEGEND

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
ObJuan13

RIP TO KOBE THE LEGEND

Post by ObJuan13 »

Childhood hero of mine. Rest In Peace!!

Huge loss
Last edited by ObJuan13 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cagiva9

Re: RIP KOBE THE LEGEND

Post by Cagiva9 »

Hard to believe. I kept checking and rechecking news sources hoping there was a mistake. Unconfirmed reports some of his kids were onboard also.

Horrible news.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

They talked quite a bit about him last night on local sports radio as LeBron was lookijg to pass him as #3 all time scoring. So sad man here today gone tomorrow.
RIP
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Cagiva9 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:02 pm Hard to believe. I kept checking and rechecking news sources hoping there was a mistake. Unconfirmed reports some of his kids were onboard also.

Horrible news.
Yeah, one of his daughters died too...

Saddest news I’ve heard in a really long time. Devastating to the family.

RIP Gianna Bryant
Tocsin

Re: RIP TO KOBE THE LEGEND

Post by Tocsin »

It's a terrible tragedy, especially when someone so young is killed. Helicopters are one of the more dangerous ways to fly I think..
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

RIP
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Truly a sad story. Kobe was one of the fiercest competitors the game has ever seen.

RIP
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

RIP Kobe. You're too f'ing young to be gone
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

To have been one of the all time greats at your chosen profession to the point that you've become a legend in your own time, retired young, multi-millionaire. The World is your oyster, and you and your daughter die in a Helicopter crash.

Just unimaginably horrible.

RIP to Kobe, his daughter, and the other passengers.
TheUltimateFan

Post by TheUltimateFan »

Initially was hoping it was just a cruel, stupid, trolling hoax, but when I realized it wasn't a hoax, I was emotionally crushed. Pray for his wife and daughters who must be numb with grief and devastated.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

I hate to be that guy...but I will.

If we are going to look at the totality of the guy he was a great player, but he never saw a shot he didn't want to take.

His teammates didn't like him. He was a ball hog. You don't drop 81 points in a single game without being a selfish player.

All you have to do is look at his last season. It didn't appear like he cared at all about where the team was going, only that he go this shots and padded his stats.

The NBA players that are all upset and showing emotion right now were too young to have ever played with him. All those superstars, if they were on his team they'd most likely ask to be traded because they'd never get the ball. To him Kobe was a hero because of all those points that he scored. But again, if they were on his team it would have been at their expense.

They won three titles in LA with Kobe and Shaq. They traded Shaq because he couldn't get along with Kobe.

There was only ever room on the Lakers for one superstar and that was Kobe. That's the way he wanted it and that's the way he got it.

Kobe won two more titles after that trade, they picked up Gasol to replace Shaq.

Shaq won another championship while he was in Miami.

Kobe also settled out of court on that sexual assault in Colorado. By all accounts he never got close to being in any kind of trouble ever again.

I feel bad for his family. His wife lost a husband and child. Their kids lost a Dad.

I just think that...yes...he was a great scorer and a great player. But he was not liked all that much by the guys he played with when he was in the league and that speaks volumes.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Slippery Pete II wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:34 pm
The NBA players that are all upset and showing emotion right now were too young to have ever played with him. All those superstars, if they were on his team they'd most likely ask to be traded because they'd never get the ball. To him Kobe was a hero because of all those points that he scored. But again, if they were on his team it would have been at their expense.
Well, I mean, you can have disliked him as a team mate but still be upset that he and his daughter died
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Slippery Pete II wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:34 pm I hate to be that guy...but I will.

If we are going to look at the totality of the guy he was a great player, but he never saw a shot he didn't want to take.

His teammates didn't like him. He was a ball hog. You don't drop 81 points in a single game without being a selfish player.

All you have to do is look at his last season. It didn't appear like he cared at all about where the team was going, only that he go this shots and padded his stats.

They won three titles in LA with Kobe and Shaq. They traded Shaq because he couldn't get along with Kobe.

There was only ever room on the Lakers for one superstar and that was Kobe. That's the way he wanted it and that's the way he got it.

Kobe won two more titles after that trade, they picked up Gasol to replace Shaq.

Kobe also settled out of court on that sexual assault in Colorado. By all accounts he never got close to being in any kind of trouble ever again.

I feel bad for his family. His wife lost a husband and child. Their kids lost a Dad.

I just think that...yes...he was a great scorer and a great player. But he was not liked all that much by the guys he played with when he was in the league and that speaks volumes.
Who really cares though? I happen to think Shaq was a notably better and greater player...

But Kobe is an all time great and flat out legend, and he died tragically with his daughter. Hardest hitting celebrity death of my lifetime
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Duplicate post
Last edited by ObJuan13 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Anyone else used to have Kobe Bryant's NBA Courtside?
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

Slippery Pete II wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:34 pm I hate to be that guy...but I will.

I am not a big Lakers fan and although I thought Kobe was a great player, I never really was a fan of him as he played for the Lakers. But I am not sure i agree with you on there. A lot of his peers seemed to genuinely enjoy him as both a basketball player and a person. I think many stars didn't like playing for a 'loud' alpha like Kobe that keeps barking at teammates. They enjoy the laid back style of Shaq, the fun teammate. Lebron gets similar vibe to Kobe. More stars wanting to leave Lebron than line up to be free agent on Lebron's team. Many other stars also don't want their star dimmed by a loud player like a kobe or Lebron. Heck, even players on the lower tier like Chris Paul, players don't like the barking. But there is still mad respect for them and genuinely friendship both on and off the court. Many stories will tell you the MJ was not likeable as well, with his intense style.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

He was a ball hog. You don't drop 81 points in a single game without being a selfish player.
David Robinson hung 71 on the Clippers, if I remember correctly...and he was hardly selfish.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Was that post really necessary Slippery Pete?
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Tocsin wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:08 pm Anyone else used to have Kobe Bryant's NBA Courtside?
Yup
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

gilgamesh wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:52 pm Was that post really necessary Slippery Pete?
i feel for the family. terrible for his wife and daughters.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

It was definitely a sad say here in L.A.

Kobe the person was far from perfect, but he definitely was a contributor to the community, and good father. His family is definitely going to miss him, and I feel for them more than anybody else involved in this situation. Same for the other parents and children that were killed in the crash.

People who are not familiar with L.A. area traffic, just can't seem to comprehend taking a helicopter to get around. I would never do it, but it's a lot more common here than most people think. The traffic here is TERRIBLE, and it makes people go to extreme measures(any Angeleno can attest to that). And if you have the means, and the money, taking a helicopter around town is a viable option. Of course you never think of something like this happening, until it happens.

RIP
chef97

Post by chef97 »

As a die hard Golden State Warriors fan it was hard to watch Kobe beating us back in the day but the world lost one of the best athletes of his generation...

RIP Kobe & GiGi....
Chef
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

His death hit hard and hurt. Felt like a family member died. Shed tears and lost sleep.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:47 pm It was definitely a sad say here in L.A.

People who are not familiar with L.A. area traffic, just can't seem to comprehend taking a helicopter to get around. I would never do it, but it's a lot more common here than most people think. The traffic here is TERRIBLE, and it makes people go to extreme measures(any Angeleno can attest to that). And if you have the means, and the money, taking a helicopter around town is a viable option. Of course you never think of something like this happening, until it happens.

RIP
Worse than just LA traffic. Kobe was travelling from the middle of Orange county (Newport Beach), across LA county into Ventura County (Thousand Oaks). That almost isn't drivable, to be honest. You would have to commit yourself to about 4 hours in the car, there and back :( . Without the means to shorten that up, I doubt he would ever have signed up for that Sports Academy partnership.

I don't know if there's truth to it but one story says that Kobe and his wife agreed to never be on the same helicopter flight for this very reason. Makes sense if you are the parents of small children. Tragic as it was, it could have been even worse.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Worse than just LA traffic. Kobe was travelling from the middle of Orange county (Newport Beach), across LA county into Ventura County (Thousand Oaks). That almost isn't drivable, to be honest. You would have to commit yourself to about 4 hours in the car, there and back :( . Without the means to shorten that up, I doubt he would ever have signed up for that Sports Academy partnership.

I don't know if there's truth to it but one story says that Kobe and his wife agreed to never be on the same helicopter flight for this very reason. Makes sense if you are the parents of small children. Tragic as it was, it could have been even worse.
Agree.

That's what I meant by "L.A. Area". Not just L.A. County, but all of the surrounding counties as well, when it comes to horrible traffic. People who have never seen it, lived here, or driven through it, just can't comprehend it. It literally will drive(no pun intended) you crazy.

One of my first real jobs(way back in the day), I would get off of work at 4:30 pm, then me and some co-workers, would go to a park that was close to the job, and play basketball for 2-3 hours. Then we would get in our cars, and go home when the traffic died down. It was either playing basketball for 2-3 hours, and getting home around 7:00...or sitting in traffic right after work for 2-3 hours, and getting home around 7:00.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”