If a prime Lewis, Bowe, Tyson, and Holyfield were around now, how would they do?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Peat56

If a prime Lewis, Bowe, Tyson, and Holyfield were around now, how would they do?

Post by Peat56 »

It would be asking A LOT of today's top heavyweight to beat all four of these greats.

Here's how I see it (and to be honest, I was Holyfield's biggest fan way back)

How do these four greats do against the big 3 - FURY, WILDER, and JOSHUA?

Holyfield -- Probably has serious problems with the big 3 now. However, Holy is such an exciting fighter that even his losses are explosive fights were fans demand a rematch. Holy might score a victory over the amateurish Wilder. He's 50/50 vs Joshua in one or two utterly thrilling bouts, but he cannot out box Tyson Fury. He scores some great combos against Fury, maybe draws blood, but its not enough for the score cards.

Mike Tyson - I think he has a great shot at kayoing all these guys. But it has to happen early. If the fight goes into the middle rounds they all find a way to stop Tyson as be begins to fade.

Bowe - Beats them all!

Lewis - He was inconsistent during his career, knocked out by some guys who are only foot notes in heavyweight history. But if its his best night, Lewis can beat all these guys.

What do you think?
ForceFed_231

Re: If a prime Lewis, Bowe, Tyson, and Holyfield were around now, how would they do?

Post by ForceFed_231 »

I think a prime Tyson bulldozes Wilder, because Wilder is so easy to hit and Tyson was so fast and such a great body puncher and he'd swarm Wilder early. Wilder wouldn't be able to set back looking to land the right hand against Tyson. It would take a lot more than a single good right hand in round 6 to stop Tyson. Tyson demonstrated a good chin against single hard punchers, see Tyson vs Ruddock. Joshua would probably last longer, but he too gets KO'ed in 6 or 7. Tyson gives Tyson the toughest fight, but I think Tyson wears Fury down with a body attack and gets him late. Remember, the fights Tyson lost he was taking a beating against Douglas and Holyfield I, so it wasn't a matter of fading but rather getting his ass kicked. It would've been nice to have seen how Mike Tyson who used his jab, upper body movement and body punching would've done against Holyfield and Douglas. Had Douglas not ran out of gas, we'd would've seen Tyson vs Douglas on August 1st 1987.

Bowe on his best beats all their asses, knocking out Joshua within the first 3 rounds. As soon as he gets in close against Wilder, boom he stops WIlder with an uppercut. Bowe wins a late round knockout or decision against Fury.

Lennox either wins a decision over all three or ko's all 3 depending on what Lewis decides to do.

Holyfield beats AJ and Wilder. Fury might be able to eek out a decision, but not sure.
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: If a prime Lewis, Bowe, Tyson, and Holyfield were around now, how would they do?

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Bowe is being massively overrated given how short his prime was

Holyfield is always underrated by everyone because of his size

Lennox can beat anyone or lose to anyone
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Would have been just like in their era's....win some lose some....come in overweight and under motivated for some and come in primed and confident for others.....
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”