Tszyu-Horn negotiations hit a snag

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Tszyu-Horn negotiations hit a snag

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://fightnews.com/tszyu-horn-negoti ... more-67130

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

The promoters of former WBO welterweight champion Jeff Horn and IBF #7, WBO #9 light middleweight Tim Tszyu met today but negotiations have hit a snag that could prevent an agreement for the biggest names in Australian boxing to clash in April.

Horn’s promoter Dean Lonergan says Tszyu’s promoter Matt Rose will not agree to two points. The Horn camp wants the fight to be contested over ten rounds, while the Tszyu camp insists on a twelve round bout. Secondly, the Tszyu team will not agree to a rematch clause.

“They want the fight over 12 rounds, we want it over 10 and we’re not moving,” Lonergan said. “There will be no fight without a rematch clause and we’re adamant on that. Matt got very heated in the debate. He said ‘we’re not going to have that, if we win this we’re onto a world title.’

“I personally think they’re kidding themselves because I know the landscape backwards. A world title at the back of this is not a possibility.

“It might be for Jeff Horn, but not for Tim Tszyu. Jeff Horn has got a much bigger name than Tim Tszyu.

“Right now, the fight absolutely hangs in the balance and they’re very aggressive on these points which I find fascinating. It got very heated.

“We’re probably going to give ourselves seven days to do it. If they can’t concede to it, I struggle to see it going ahead.”
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Tocsin

Re: Tszyu-Horn negotiations hit a snag

Post by Tocsin »

Doesn't sound like Horn's side is too confident in him?
Primetyme199

Re: Tszyu-Horn negotiations hit a snag

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://fightnews.com/horn-i-want-more- ... r-12/67672

Horn: I want more $ to fight Tszyu over 12

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

Former WBO welterweight champion Jeff Horn wants more money if he fights IBF#7 light middleweight Tim Tszyu over twelve rounds. Negotiations have hit a stumbling block on two issues, a rematch clause and whether the fight is ten or twelve rounds.

“If they want to make it a 12-rounder, they will have to pay me more,” Horn said. “If I was getting offered this type of fight at the stage of the career Tim is in, I’d be jumping at a 70-30 split. Even if it was 80-20, I’d be raring at the bit at trying to get it…I was exactly the same with Manny Pacquiao, I didn’t think about what money I was getting for that fight. I just took it.

“Tim Tszyu is going off his dad’s name, as well. Certainly, I wouldn’t be asking for a lot more if he was in his position without his family history.

“People are excited about it. The majority of people expect me to lose, as normal. On social media, I read everywhere that they’re going for Tim, that I’m past it and that I’ll lose the fight. Hopefully I can prove them wrong once again. That’s what I’ve continually got to keep doing. I think I’ve got too much experience at this stage, it’s definitely early on in his career.”
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”