Andy Ruiz Jr fires trainer Manny Robles

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Andy Ruiz Jr fires trainer Manny Robles

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.badlefthook.com/2020/1/23/2 ... nny-robles

Respected veteran trainer Manny Robles confirmed to ESPN last night that he’ll no longer be working with former champion Andy Ruiz Jr. after leading him to become an unlikely unified heavyweight titleholder last summer. Robles was informed that he would be let go by Ruiz’s father in a meeting yesterday morning.

Ruiz would shock the world last June, but essentially went on tour afterwards, celebrating his newfound fame. That led him to coming in grossly under-prepared for his contractual rematch with Joshua this past December. Against all expectations Ruiz — who had been ridiculed by some for looking like a sloppy fat boy this first time around — came in even heavier for the rematch and laid an egg as Joshua easily outboxed him over the distance.

During the post-fight press conference Ruiz would apologize to his trainer for not doing what he was supposed to in training camp, but in the end it’s the trainer who gets the axe.

“I’ve seen it coming, I’ll be honest with you,” Robles said late Wednesday night. “I’ve seen it coming during camp. I saw it coming, Andy was just doing whatever the hell he wanted to do. The dad, obviously with him being the manager, he just had no control over his son. None of us had control of him, for that matter.”

Robles would say that Ruiz’s father told him his firing really came at the behest of powerful advisor Al Haymon himself, who wanted to ensure that there wouldn’t be another training camp like this last one.

“They apparently told them that they didn’t want the same thing to repeat itself, again,” Robles said. “It is what it is, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s not the first time it’s happened to me. I’m sure it’s not the first time it’s happened to other coaches. It happens time and time again. We always end up getting the short end of the stick. But it is what it is, you keep moving forward.”

In spite of parting ways with Ruiz Jr., Robles says he’s thankful for the experiences he had with him, particularly with becoming world champion as team. Robles however finishes by saying he was fully intent on having Ruiz repeat his feat over Joshua last December, but if the fighter doesn’t show up then it’s simply out of his hands.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: Andy Ruiz Jr fires trainer Manny Robles

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Definitely his trainers fault he is a fatass
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

if the fighter doesn’t show up then it’s simply out of his hands.

Hard to argue with that :(
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Cagiva9 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:18 pm if the fighter doesn’t show up then it’s simply out of his hands.

Hard to argue with that :(
You mean it's not the trainers job to babysit him 24/7 and hold his hand to make sure he gets where he's supposed to be?

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

I think trainers are in lose lose situations here and are easy scapegoats, but on the flip side, if there is no turning of the tide with one trainer, gotta try something new to shake things up. Similar to coaches getting canned when it might not necessarily be their fault.

Whether right decision or not, looks like Ruiz was not responding to Robles anymore. No guarantee a new trainer would get a better response, but I think they are desperate to turn the ship around, so taking desperate measures.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

If you can't get up for, and train your ass off, for the biggest fight of your life...then what can you get up for?
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Andy certainly has the motivation to get up and go to Burger King
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Tocsin wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:36 pm Andy certainly has the motivation to get up and go to Burger King
Maybe not, perhaps he uses Grubhub. LOL

Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:44 pm
Tocsin wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:36 pm Andy certainly has the motivation to get up and go to Burger King
Maybe not, perhaps he uses Grubhub. LOL
He has motivation to get up and use the toilet at least!
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:30 pm If you can't get up for, and train your ass off, for the biggest fight of your life...then what can you get up for?
The first fight was the biggest fight of his life. He showed up for that one but I think the money put out his fire.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:30 pm If you can't get up for, and train your ass off, for the biggest fight of your life...then what can you get up for?
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

The first fight was the biggest fight of his life. He showed up for that one but I think the money put out his fire.
You're correct: The first fight was the biggest of his life(at that point)...but the second fight was even bigger. So for the biggest fight of his life, the rematch, that EVERYBODY and their Uncle, was interested in watching...he shit the bed during training.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:13 pm
You're correct: The first fight was the biggest of his life(at that point)...but the second fight was even bigger. So for the biggest fight of his life, the rematch, that EVERYBODY and their Uncle, was interested in watching...he shit the bed during training.
Nah he ate the bed

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”