Bob Arum: ‘I would love to have’ Terence Crawford fight Conor McGregor in boxing and MMA

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Bob Arum: ‘I would love to have’ Terence Crawford fight Conor McGregor in boxing and MMA

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/1/22/2 ... g-mma-news

Thanks to Conor McGregor’s emphatic TKO win over Donald Cerrone at UFC 246, we can officially kick the needless push for McGregor to fight a pro boxer into overdrive. When McGregor isn’t doing it himself, you now have Bob Arum expressing interest in having one of his biggest stars face off against the Irishman.

Yes, the Top Rank Boxing promoter went on Michael Woods’ TalkBOX podcast to discuss multiple topics, including his desire to see WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford face McGregor in a two-fight, two-sport showdown.

“I would love to have [Terence] Crawford fight McGregor, once MMA rules and once boxing rules,” Arum said. “Crawford has a background in wrestling and would not be adverse to fighting McGregor with UFC rules.

“That’s something that’s occurred to us in the last couple of days, and we’ll be pursuing it with Dana White,” Arum added.

Top Rank and the UFC are under the same ESPN banner, but let’s just say that Arum and White working together is probably the one thing less likely than the idea of McGregor vs. Crawford under any rule-set.

Crawford (36-0, 27 KOs) is known as one of the best pound-for-pound boxers in the world, but he does have that aforementioned wrestling background and is notably friends with UFC featherweight Mirsad Bektic. While Crawford has respect for MMA and its fighters, he has gone on record as saying he doesn’t intend to compete in the sport, stating that MMA doesn’t pay well enough.

...Of course, that hasn’t stopped him from teasing fans on social media by tweeting at Dana White.

Terence Crawford

@terencecrawford
@danawhite do I need to get my mma gloves ready?

Hopefully this silliness never gets off the ground and that Top Rank instead has its sights set on finally getting meaningful fights for “Bud” against the top welterweights in the division.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Hillsinitialrebirth

Re: Bob Arum: ‘I would love to have’ Terence Crawford fight Conor McGregor in boxing and MMA

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Shouldn't Arum be pushing for TC to fight one of the PBC Welters?
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: Bob Arum: ‘I would love to have’ Terence Crawford fight Conor McGregor in boxing and MMA

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Hahahahaha sure Bob
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Get him the boxing matches he deserves, scumbag
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Yeah, I was gonna say how about some top boxers?

I definitely wouldn't wanna see Crawford in MMA.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

This is embarrassing for TC.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Translation: "I can't get him a boxing fight, so let's change the subject."
TheUltimateFan

Post by TheUltimateFan »

Bob Arum is a crooked opportunist at his fighters (Crawford's) expense. Crawford should fire him. Crawford would get destroyed by McGregor in a true rules MMA fight!
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Hey Bob, do you remember this?

https://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport ... ridiculous

MANILA, Philippines – Top Rank Promotions chief Bob Arum is admittedly not a big fan of the rumored crossover bout between unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr and UFC featherweight titleholder Conor McGregor.

The fight has been discussed to take place under boxing rules on New Year’s Eve in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The 84-year-old longtime promoter described the match-up between Mayweather and McGregor as “ridiculous,” citing the 27-year-old Irishman’s lack of experience in the sport of boxing.

“[Why] would you put any money into a card that matches an extremely good professional boxer, if not the best, in Mayweather fighting against a guy who has never had a professional boxing match? It’s lunacy. It’s ridiculous,” Arum said in an interview with Fight Hub TV.

Arum expects a complete shutout victory from Mayweather if he agrees to come out of retirement to step into the ring with McGregor.

“If they fight based on MMA, you know with the wrestling and the kicking so forth, Floyd will never have a chance against McGregor,” he stated. “As a boxing match, McGregor has no chance against Mayweather. Are you crazy?”

Arum, who promoted the likes of Manny Pacquiao and Muhammad Ali in the past, does not see McGregor standing a chance against any of his boxers in his current roster.

“McGregor couldn’t beat anybody in my gym. He’d go into the gym and pick any of those fighters. He couldn’t beat one of them,” he stressed.

If the highly-publicized confrontation between Mayweather and McGregor pushes through, Arum believes that it will hurt the boxing scene.

“What shouldn’t happen is to denigrate the sport of boxing to a point where it becomes farce. And a Mayweather-McGregor fight is a farce either way,” he asserted. – Rappler.com

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

arums such a clown
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Floyd Mayweather wants to rematch Conor McGregor in the ring, Manny Pacquiao wants to box him, and undefeated WBO 147-pound champion Terence Crawford want to face McGregor under both MMA and boxing rules.

Boxing promoter Bob Arum recently explained.

“It’s not fair to the UFC and to Conor McGregor to say, ‘Well, let him fight this fighter, that fighter, but only in boxing’ – because he’s a good athlete, Conor McGregor, but he’s not a boxer. He’s a mixed martial arts guy,” said Arum, as transcribed by Simon Head for MMA Junkie. “So I’m saying, ‘OK. Let’s test it out.’ Terence Crawford will do McGregor in the Octagon, and then three months later they can do it in the boxing ring. The Octagon would be first because I don’t want them to think we’re playing around.

"Let the octagon be first, because Terence Crawford is a really tough dude who has a wrestling background, so it’s not like a guy like Mayweather who’s just a great boxer and would be lost, pretty much, in the octagon. Crawford would not be lost in the octagon because he comes from a wrestling background. He is, I think, a world-class wrestler. So let’s see. Let them take the challenge. I think it would be massive.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Crawford pins McGregor in an MMA fight. I really mean that. I think Crawford’s a better wrestler than McGregor is.”

“Let’s test this out. But you’ve got to fight the guy on his ground if you expect him to fight on your ground, and that’s what we propose."

“No, you don’t talk to Dana White about it. You let Dana White read about it and hear about it, and then if he’s interested, he’ll know how to contact us. The answer is we haven’t talked to him. We have some people who talk to Dana White, but I haven’t.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LMFAO, he's going to pin him.

NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:04 pm Floyd Mayweather wants to rematch Conor McGregor in the ring, Manny Pacquiao wants to box him, and undefeated WBO 147-pound champion Terence Crawford want to face McGregor under both MMA and boxing rules.

Boxing promoter Bob Arum recently explained.

“It’s not fair to the UFC and to Conor McGregor to say, ‘Well, let him fight this fighter, that fighter, but only in boxing’ – because he’s a good athlete, Conor McGregor, but he’s not a boxer. He’s a mixed martial arts guy,” said Arum, as transcribed by Simon Head for MMA Junkie. “So I’m saying, ‘OK. Let’s test it out.’ Terence Crawford will do McGregor in the Octagon, and then three months later they can do it in the boxing ring. The Octagon would be first because I don’t want them to think we’re playing around.

"Let the octagon be first, because Terence Crawford is a really tough dude who has a wrestling background, so it’s not like a guy like Mayweather who’s just a great boxer and would be lost, pretty much, in the octagon. Crawford would not be lost in the octagon because he comes from a wrestling background. He is, I think, a world-class wrestler. So let’s see. Let them take the challenge. I think it would be massive.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Crawford pins McGregor in an MMA fight. I really mean that. I think Crawford’s a better wrestler than McGregor is.”

“Let’s test this out. But you’ve got to fight the guy on his ground if you expect him to fight on your ground, and that’s what we propose."

“No, you don’t talk to Dana White about it. You let Dana White read about it and hear about it, and then if he’s interested, he’ll know how to contact us. The answer is we haven’t talked to him. We have some people who talk to Dana White, but I haven’t.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LMFAO, he's going to pin him.
:) Lol.

Classic Scumbag Bob
undefeatedchamp

Post by undefeatedchamp »

How about a relevant fight for Bud? Spence, Thurman, Pac, Porter, Garcia any of them would do.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”