NFL to experiment with alternative to onside kick at Pro Bowl

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

NFL to experiment with alternative to onside kick at Pro Bowl

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/285 ... k-pro-bowl

The NFL will experiment with an alternative to the onside kick during Sunday's Pro Bowl, an indication that the league is still considering the option despite the fact that owners rejected it last year.

As in past years, there will be no kickoffs at all in the Pro Bowl. The twist this year is that teams will have two options after scoring.

The first is to give the ball back to the opposition, which would start its drive at its 25-yard line. The new, second option for the scoring team would serve as a substitute for an onside kick. It would allow it to run one additional play from its own 25-yard line.

If the scoring team gains 15 or more yards, it would retain possession. If it falls short, the opposition would take over at the dead ball spot. Essentially, it will be a fourth-and-15

Onside kicks have been more difficult to recover since the NFL's 2018 overhaul of the kickoff. Among other changes, the new rule prevented the kickoff team from getting a running start before the kick. Onside kick recoveries dropped from the league's historic rate of about 21% through the 2017 season to 7.7% in 2018 and 12.9% in 2019.

The Denver Broncos proposed a similar change last winter, but owners voted it down in March. The NFL does not always adopt Pro Bowl rule changes, but the presence of the onside kick alternative is an indication that at least some league decision-makers would like to see it in action.

Also this year, Pro Bowl officials will be instructed to use a different standard for false start penalties on receivers who are flexed from the line of scrimmage. It will not be a false start if a receiver flinches or lifts one foot off the ground, provided he resets for one second and/or keeps one foot on the ground.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: NFL to experiment with alternative to onside kick at Pro Bowl

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Seems too easy compared to onside kick rates
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:43 pm Seems too easy compared to onside kick rates
is the clock running on this play? if they get the first down and the clock is moving that could be a pretty big factor at the end of a game. onside kick essentially gives you the ball at your own 45 and the clock stops. converting the 4 and 15 from your own 25 with the clock ticking could eat into a lot of the time you need to get into FG range.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

4 and 15 has 12.5 percent chance of conversion which is better than current onside kicks but lower than previous kicks before the new rule
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:57 pm 4 and 15 has 12.5 percent chance of conversion which is better than current onside kicks but lower than previous kicks before the new rule
the odds of getting it are much higher sure. i was just saying the odds of scoring after getting it at the end of the game may not be much higher if you gotta waste 10-15 seconds running up to the line after converting when time is of the essence at the end of the game. i just wonder if it will be too easy for some teams. i can see the chiefs for example, picking up 4 and 15s a good amount of the time
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”