I'll be rooting for Tyson Fury, but I think he might lose to Wilder next month.

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Peat56

I'll be rooting for Tyson Fury, but I think he might lose to Wilder next month.

Post by Peat56 »

I actually like Fury. I was not happy with him some years ago when he was just spewing vulgarities, homophobic remarks, and other insensitive statements. But he appears to have left that all behind. He's talked openly of dealing with mental illness, and has sounded a lot classier in recent time (masturbation comments aside)

What I also like about him is that he's a hell of a boxer and a joy to watch. He said before the first Wilder fight that he does things in the ring that no one else does these days. And he's right! He's a real old school tactical boxer. He reminds me a bit of Larry Holmes.

As great as Fury is, Wilder possess greater physical prowess in most categories. If these two men had equal speed and equal power, Fury would destroy Wilder. But they are not equal. Wilder has the devastating power and he has quicker hands too. Wilder also might have learned a bit in the first fight and bring a different approach.

I thought Fury did win the 1st fight. But if Wilder catches Fury early and harms him, it could get very ugly and Fury would lose.

But is an awesome fight and I look forward to a definitive result to further bolster the heavyweight division's appeal and give it more resolution.
ForceFed_231

Re: I'll be rooting for Tyson Fury, but I think he might lose to Wilder next month.

Post by ForceFed_231 »

In the first fight I had wished Wilder would knock Fury's block off and I thought my wish had come true in the 12th round. But Fury beating the count and coming back in the same round to buzz Wilder made me an instant Fury fan. The fight as a whole showed that Fury's win over Wlad wasn't a fluke and he'd probably always give Wlad problems, even the Wlad that was going after guys earlier in his career before he get starched by Brewster. I'm pulling for Fury in this fight, but I see him getting stopped in the 7th. Wilder has improved some and he'll wait Fury out and let Fury get a false sense of confidence and then lights out. Then we'll have the first lineal American heavyweight champ since Shannon Briggs nearly 23 years ago.
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: I'll be rooting for Tyson Fury, but I think he might lose to Wilder next month.

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

What has wilder improved?

He knocked out brezeale in 1. Brezeale was tailor made for wilder

He lost every round to ortiz before stopping him

If anyone has improved its wilder. His conditioning, reflexes and accuracy should improve from last time considering hes been active
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 pm What has wilder improved?

If anyone has improved its wilder. His conditioning, reflexes and accuracy should improve from last time considering hes been active
Is your second to last sentence a mistake?
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

I didn't say he turned into Lennox Lewis, but he has improved over the first time he fought Fury. He is more patience and even though he Ortiz was winning, not dominating, Wilder was poised throughout, didn't put himself in a situation where he was seriously hurt like the first fight with Ortiz and waited to line that perfect shot up. I think he'll do the same thing to Fury this time.

Fury on the other hand didn't look great in his last fight, but showed lots of guts again fighting through the massive cut. Too me Fury's finest performance was when he lifted the title from Wlad, he weighed in at 246. Hey, I'm pulling for Fury and I hope I'm wrong. Even though it would be nice to have a lineal heavyweight champion from the US.

EDIT: No Fury's finest performance was climbing off the canvas in the 12th round and IMO won the decision against Wilder.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Excellent points! But I do worry that Fury is prone to cuts. But your're quite right - those two wins are not actually that impressive.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

ForceFed_231 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:41 pm

I didn't say he turned into Lennox Lewis, but he has improved over the first time he fought Fury. He is more patience and even though he Ortiz was winning, not dominating, Wilder was poised throughout, didn't put himself in a situation where he was seriously hurt like the first fight with Ortiz and waited to line that perfect shot up. I think he'll do the same thing to Fury this time.

Fury on the other hand didn't look great in his last fight, but showed lots of guts again fighting through the massive cut. Too me Fury's finest performance was when he lifted the title from Wlad, he weighed in at 246. Hey, I'm pulling for Fury and I hope I'm wrong. Even though it would be nice to have a lineal heavyweight champion from the US.

EDIT: No Fury's finest performance was climbing off the canvas in the 12th round and IMO won the decision against Wilder.
I just couldn't see it as a win for Wilder. So many thought Fury won. I was okay with the draw.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

i dont think cuts are the issue against wilder. hes not really an accumulation puncher thatll bust you up and get the TKO on cuts. chances are if the cuts that bad hes putting you to sleep the second you cant see well
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Having your vision impaired by a cut or cuts might not be a good thing against a guy who could turn off the lights with one short right hand as Top said.

I like Wilder in the rematch too. I think he'll be able to find Tyson's chin earlier due to familiarity and comfort. Flip side, Tyson needs to sit down on something from time to time to give him a tick of pause while mixing in the the boxing
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Fury has said that his cut hasn't healed properly so he's not sparring with punches to the head...

He's also said that he's swapped trainer because he's looking for a KO as he can't win a decision in America vs an American...

At first I thought it was just Fury being Fury, but truth is, somehow a judge gave Wilder 7 rounds in what was a Fury shutout victory last time and another 5...!
Tbf, I think it had more to do with the promotor of the card than the nationality of Wilder, but maybe Fury is right... He has to knock Wilder out. And he is that crazy guy who will just change it up completely if he needs to.

Also if that cut hasn't healed, looking for a KO will mean he won't have to fight with it bleeding for as long.

Fury is that crazy MF that will do it.

I think it's a terrible idea because we know he can outbox Wilder with ease, but I didn't give him a 10% chance last time and he proved me wrong by winning pretty much every round last time so f it, might just put a fiver on the KO even if I think it's stupid.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

TheSickness316 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Is your second to last sentence a mistake?
No. Fury has been active against higher comp the last couple years. The first time he fought wilder he had been inactive then fought against garbage

I see it tnow sickness. Yes that should read fury had improved
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

fury is and always has been the better fighter. if he stays on his feet he wins easy. if he allows wilder to rack up 10-8s with KDs again it gets iffy for him. its extremely hard to win fights on points when you hit the deck multiple times. at this point wilder cannot improve enough to be furys equal in boxing ability. hes a 1 trick pony with 1 really good trick. its wise for him to recognize that and stick with it IMO. his awkwardness is what allows him to land his big shots clean. i dont think this fight is about whos improved really. its the same situation. can fury avoid wilders right hand for 12 rounds or not. he has the ability to avoid the shot and has had it all along, for him its about staying focused on that gameplan for the full 36 minutes. a second of lapsed judgement can end his night. if he tries to KO wilder like hes claimed, hes outgunned and will go to sleep.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

As usual i dont care who wins. With this being a big event i just hope for a good fight

My gut says fury wins in fury style....which when coupled with wilders awkwardness makes for a dreadful fight.
NoPropaganda 253

I think the style clash will guarantee a suspense filled fight just like the original regardless who wins.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Yeah but suspense and actual action are 2 different things especially to fans who will be buying a ppv for the only time this year
NoPropaganda 253

Ok. Dreadful is in the eye of the beholder. Especially to fans who choose to purchase this ppv.

We've seen it once right? Folks know what they're paying for. The initial fight had suspense and action in the form of the cat and mouse style clash, the brutal knockdowns and Fury's defensive prowess and amazing recovery. There are legit reasons why both Fury and Wilder could each be more effective in the rematch.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I actually think this fight will be better than the first.

For some reason(I don't know why), I think Fury stands and trades a little more, looking to do more damage...and Wilder doesn't look as lost this time. This should give us some good, definitive action.

It's the biggest fight in boxing in this new year, and it should serve it's purpose and give us some clarity in the HW division.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Wilder always looks lost in there to me unless he has a guy like Breazeale in there....a simple jab and a little movement throws him off....Think we will see it pretty similar to the first fight....question is does Fury get caught this time or not...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:42 pm I actually think this fight will be better than the first.

For some reason(I don't know why), I think Fury stands and trades a little more, looking to do more damage...and Wilder doesn't look as lost this time. This should give us some good, definitive action.

It's the biggest fight in boxing in this new year, and it should serve it's purpose and give us some clarity in the HW division.
See i think hes ever wearier than last time and does his shimmy feint stuff nonstop and they combine for about 14 punches landed per round
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Peat56 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:34 am
ForceFed_231 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:41 pm

I just couldn't see it as a win for Wilder. So many thought Fury won. I was okay with the draw.
I had Fury winning hands down. Actually Wilder won't be able to just set and try to line up the right hand against Fury, the way he did Ortiz. If Wilder does, I don't know if he'll get KO'ed but he'll get busted up probably. Regardless, I still see Wilder finding Fury by the 7th. If that doesn't happen and Fury stays on his feet and boxes well, he should win a decision.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”