Mayweather CEO Embraces Conor McGregor's Talk of Rematch

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Mayweather CEO Embraces Conor McGregor's Talk of Rematch

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather- ... ch--145924

Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, suggested Floyd Mayweather would be up for fighting Conor McGregor again after the Irishman declared he would win a rematch.

Mayweather stopped McGregor in the 10th round when the UFC superstar made his professional boxing debut in August 2017. Their pay-per-view bout generated over 4 million buys.

The unbeaten Mayweather retired for the third time after that bout, but announced last November that he would resume his career yet again in 2020 for a "spectacular event".

McGregor will make his UFC comeback against Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone on Saturday and the 31-year-old Dubliner took the opportunity to call out Mayweather prior to the fight.

He told told Ariel Helwani's MMA Show on ESPN: "Most certainly, I'd like to rematch Floyd. I think we should rematch Floyd.

"He keeps flirting with it [coming out of retirement] and he can go and pick someone else but it's not going to be the same. I did phenomenal in that fight and the only reason I lost that bout was because I prepared for a back-foot style of opponent.

"And when the fight was like that I was picking him apart. Then he came forward and started pressing and I wasn't sinking into my shots like I am now with my boxing coaches.

"I know I'd beat Floyd if we rematched. When we rematch. It's not going to be a mixed martial arts bout like he said. It was supposed to be me boxing then we'll do a mixed martial arts bout.

"It wasn't written but it was verbal. But that's not going to happen and I'm not even going to push him on it."

Ellerbe tweeted in reply to a video of the interview: "@TheNotoriousMMA are you really sure about that champ, you know we can make that happen, asking for a friend?"
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Peat56

Re: Mayweather CEO Embraces Conor McGregor's Talk of Rematch

Post by Peat56 »

The two sports - boxing and MMA - are totally dissimilar. Its like asking Floyd to enter into solo canoe races with the solo canoe racing champion of the world -- whoever that is...
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Peat56 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:38 am The two sports - boxing and MMA - are totally dissimilar. Its like asking Floyd to enter into solo canoe races with the solo canoe racing champion of the world -- whoever that is...
maybe a bit different since there is boxing involved in MMA. and connor is a stand up type fighter. while not nearly the same there is at least some overlap in abilities. that being said i have no interest in seeing this cash grab take place again. mcgregor has plenty of good options in the UFC right now
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Don't think anyone really has an interest in it taking place again, except for them since it will be an easy payday.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:31 am Don't think anyone really has an interest in it taking place again, except for them since it will be an easy payday.
Might be a little more interesting if Floyd were to keep his word and fight Conor under MMA rules like he said he would. Lol

Maybe James Toney can teach Floyd the side check kick, LOL.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

TheSickness316 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 am
Primetyme199 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:31 am Don't think anyone really has an interest in it taking place again, except for them since it will be an easy payday.
Might be a little more interesting if Floyd were to keep his word and fight Conor under MMA rules like he said he would. Lol

floyd would last about as long as aldo or cowboy did in an MMA match.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

There is 0 chance floyd fights mma. He doesnt put himself in a position to lose in boxing he sure as hell isnt fighting mma
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Who added the James Toney part to my post?
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

McTappy: Boxing's willing pawn
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

He mentioned Pacquiao... that would be an ass whooping of gigantic proportions

Pac would floor him often with that combination he dropped Thurman and cotto with.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

The two sports - boxing and MMA - are totally dissimilar. Its like asking Floyd to enter into solo canoe races with the solo canoe racing champion of the world -- whoever that is...
I liken Boxing and MMA, to Hockey and Figure Skating.

In boxing and MMA, people always say: Well in boxing, it's the art of throwing punches, and in MMA, they throw punches too. So there should be a natural transition between the two. Completely disregarding the glaring differences between the two sports.

It's like saying: Well hockey players skate on ice, and figure skaters skate on ice...so there should be a natural transition between the two sports.

Boxing and MMA, are the only two sports, where people continually(ignorantly) blurr the lines.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

TheSickness316 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:56 pm

Who added the James Toney part to my post?
Had to be me, I must have hit edit instead of quote. Sorry

Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

The only interest in this will be people hoping Mayweather is old and rusty enough that McGregor can actually catch him. They'll make plenty of money if they do it, but it will be completely meaningless of course. Something that would be way more interesting and make money would be if McGregor angled for a K-1 style fight with Alvarez. Wouldn't have the low hanging fruit of black-white racial animosity to play on though.
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

Floyd didn't even train the last fight and he was in ty he strip club to 5am the day of the fight floyd carried McGregor it would be the same result.
TheUltimateFan

Post by TheUltimateFan »

NO one is interested in a boxing rematch between the two and everyone sees it simply as a huge money grab by both fighters. However, I'd pay to see Conor destroy Mayweather in an MMA bout, if Floyd was arrogant and stupid enough to do it. MMA is a whole different animal within the Fighting Arts.

Money Mayweather would forever be known as "Mangled Mayweather". Conor would humiliate Floyd in the Octagon.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”