Kovalev Beats Women/Dogs Update

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
NoPropaganda 253

Kovalev Beats Women/Dogs Update

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Sergey Kovalev's trial date for assault case postponed
2:48 PM PT
ImageDan Rafael
ESPN Senior Writer

Former three-time light heavyweight world titlist Sergey Kovalev, who faces up to four years in prison if convicted of the felony assault charge he faces in California, has changed attorneys and had his trial delayed.

At a hearing on Monday, when Kovalev's trial date was supposed to be scheduled, Judge Dwight W. Moore of the Superior Court of California for San Bernardino County delayed Kovalev's next pre-trial hearing until April 8 and did not set a trial date, according to San Bernardino County online court records.

One of the reasons for the delay likely was the fact that Monday's hearing was the first for Kovalev at which he was represented by a new attorney, Keith Bruno of Carpenter, Zuckerman & Rowley. According to court records, Kovalev relieved attorney Dmitry Gorin, who had been representing him in the case.

The trial was originally scheduled to begin Nov. 25, according to online court records, but was postponed with a hearing scheduled for Monday.

By the time Kovalev's trial begins it likely will have been more than two years since he was arrested on June 9, 2018, in connection with an incident at a party in Big Bear Lake, California, in which he allegedly punched a woman in the face, broke her nose, gave her a concussion and displaced a disk in her neck after she rejected his sexual advances.

Kovalev was released on $50,000 bail, according to the court records, and was eventually charged with assault likely to cause great bodily injury. He pleaded not guilty.

Since being charged Kovalev (34-4-1, 29 KOs), 36, a Russia native fighting out of Los Angeles, has boxed four times, losing his 175-pound world title to Eleider "Storm" Alvarez by upset seventh-round knockout, regaining it by dominant unanimous decision over Alvarez in an immediate rematch, defending the title by 11th-round knockout of Anthony Yarde in a Russia homecoming fight in August, and then losing the belt by 11th-round knockout to Canelo Alvarez on Nov. 2 in Las Vegas in one of the most significant fights of 2019.
https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/ ... -postponed

Jamie Frontz claims she met Sergey at the grand opening of a boxing gym in Big Bear.

Frontz -- a model and actress -- claims Sergey and a friend followed her home from the party and Kovalev aggressively tried to have sex with her.

"At one point, Kovalev pinned Jamie to the couch, leaning over her with his hands on either side of her shoulders, such that she could not move away."

Jamie claims her dog sensed the danger and tried to intervene -- but Kovalev shoved the dog away and then kicked it in the chest.

While tending to her dog, Jamie claims, "Kovalev turned to [her] and punched her with full force directly in the face one time with a closed fist."

In her suit, Jamie claims Sergey fled the scene -- so, she called the cops.

TMZ broke the story ... cops tracked down Kovalev and arrested him. He's been charged with felony assault and faces up to 4 years in prison. Kovalev has pleaded not guilty.

Jamie claims she went to the emergency room where she was treated for a broken nose, head injuries and a concussion. She also claims to have suffered severe back and neck injuries.

The next morning, Jamie claims she saw Kovalev crawl out of the bushes near her cabin, and he yelled her name -- so, she called 911 and later got a restraining order against him.
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: Kovalev Beats Women/Dogs Update

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Too bad he only sits on his punches against women and saved the pawing love tap jabs for canelo
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Think I'll wait to see what comes out at the trial.

The whole story sounds strange.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Cagiva9 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:50 pm Think I'll wait to see what comes out at the trial.

It does sound strange. This woman suffered some serious injuries, according to what I read and given that I would've thought that there would've been a push from the prosecutor to get Kovalev. With medical evidence, it should be pretty cut and dry. Furthermore, I'm surprised he was allowed to travel to Russia to fight given there probably isn't an extradition treaty with Russia. Floyd wasn't even given this much leeway when he was charged with assault.

Money talks I guess.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

ForceFed_231 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:17 pm
Cagiva9 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:50 pm Think I'll wait to see what comes out at the trial.

It does sound strange. This woman suffered some serious injuries, according to what I read and given that I would've thought that there would've been a push from the prosecutor to get Kovalev. With medical evidence, it should be pretty cut and dry. Furthermore, I'm surprised he was allowed to travel to Russia to fight given there probably isn't an extradition treaty with Russia. Floyd wasn't even given this much leeway when he was charged with assault.

Money talks I guess.
Just look up the War Machine and Christy Mack case. It took over 2 years for that to finally go to trial.
NoPropaganda 253

Money talks I guess.
We know Floyd and his team had more money, so me thinks it was something else that was doing the talking. That's the good ol American justice system for ya.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:54 pm

Money talks I guess.
We know Floyd and his team had more money, so me thinks it was something else that was doing the talking. That's the good ol American justice system for ya.
Well, Floyd was assault, Kovalev's is more serious with felonious assault. Surprised Kovalev wasn't also charged with sexual assault.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Floyds kids were witnesses and backed up their mom

No witnesses here
NoPropaganda 253

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:49 am Floyds kids were witnesses and backed up their mom

No witnesses here
The dog counts, Jeff.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Haha

Floyd also did a plea deal where this seems headed for jury trial. And im guessing the plea deal was predicated on a prosecutor telling floyd his kids would have to take the stand and tell everyone dad punched mom
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Did Kovalev get charged with assaulting someone before this? I ask because that is something that could have been used against Floyd if he didn't do a plea deal.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Money talks I guess.
What do you think that something else was?
NoPropaganda 253

Tocsin wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:59 pm

Money talks I guess.
What do you think that something else was?
Had to be the witnesses, right? :)

What do you think it was, "Tocsin"?
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I dunno, you're the one mentioning it. There are usually all sorts of reasons why cases take different lengths to progress (examples above) and I wasn't sure what you meant, hence the question.

There doesn't have to be witnesses but it certainly can help if there are!
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

I am sure most of this will come out if it indeed goes to trial. I wonder how the pictures the cops took at the hospital look as the picture the victim put up on her instagram page after the incident does not look 'that bad' compared to the way she describes it. If Kov did hit her without a glove to break her nose in 2 places and have other facial injuries to the point her spine needs surgery, somehow I would think her pictures of the after would look much different.

"As most of you know, I was assaulted almost a year ago by a professional boxer named Sergey Kovalev. June 9th will be the one year mark since this nightmare began. I have chosen until now, not to post photos of my face due to trying to preserve the brand Ive worked my whole life for. I truly thought at this stage Id have been able to fix what he did to my nose as well as have the numerous other surgeries Im facing because of the injuries I suffered that night. Sadly, I have not been able to fix my nose yet, despite multiple consultations with plastic surgeons. So the journey continues in trying to find the right surgeon who can correct it and a way to pay for it. At this stage, it just seems to make more sense to allow y’all to follow with me as I try to navigate the rest of this journey. In addition to him breaking my nose in two places, giving me facial contusions & a severe concussion, I also suffered two spinal injuries. I have had several rounds of injections trying to get the swelling & fluid out of my neck & spine and to try to alleviate the pain & nerve damage. I had to undergo ACDF surgery last month. I now have a titanium plate & 4 screws in my neck where it was then fused to my spine. I have a large scar across the front of my neck. My nose is beyond crooked, collapsing on top now that swelling has subsided, breathing is difficult & it runs or bleeds pretty much chronically. At this point the amount of permanent damage that he caused not only physically but also emotionally & mentally is undeniably going to affect the rest of my life and career. So, there is no longer a reason for me to not post my face and every other aspect of this journey with all of you. The legal system as Im sure most of you are aware is a long, arduous, drawn out process. Both the criminal and civil legal proceedings are still going. In the meantime, I am going to therapy & trying to heal inside and out. Scroll for before/afters. "
TheUltimateFan

Post by TheUltimateFan »

I wonder of the Russian mafia wasn't paid their full cut from his last fight or lost big money and got the corrupt Russian judiciary to file this no witness charge?
NoPropaganda 253

TheUltimateFan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:01 pm I wonder of the Russian mafia wasn't paid their full cut from his last fight or lost big money and got the corrupt Russian judiciary to file this no witness charge?
BFF back in the mix! What are you rambling on about right here, bud?
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Danielk015 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:50 pm I am sure most of this will come out if it indeed goes to trial. I wonder how the pictures the cops took at the hospital look as the picture the victim put up on her instagram page after the incident does not look 'that bad' compared to the way she describes it. If Kov did hit her without a glove to break her nose in 2 places and have other facial injuries to the point her spine needs surgery, somehow I would think her pictures of the after would look much different.

"As most of you know, I was assaulted almost a year ago by a professional boxer named Sergey Kovalev. June 9th will be the one year mark since this nightmare began. I have chosen until now, not to post photos of my face due to trying to preserve the brand Ive worked my whole life for. I truly thought at this stage Id have been able to fix what he did to my nose as well as have the numerous other surgeries Im facing because of the injuries I suffered that night. Sadly, I have not been able to fix my nose yet, despite multiple consultations with plastic surgeons. So the journey continues in trying to find the right surgeon who can correct it and a way to pay for it. At this stage, it just seems to make more sense to allow y’all to follow with me as I try to navigate the rest of this journey. In addition to him breaking my nose in two places, giving me facial contusions & a severe concussion, I also suffered two spinal injuries. I have had several rounds of injections trying to get the swelling & fluid out of my neck & spine and to try to alleviate the pain & nerve damage. I had to undergo ACDF surgery last month. I now have a titanium plate & 4 screws in my neck where it was then fused to my spine. I have a large scar across the front of my neck. My nose is beyond crooked, collapsing on top now that swelling has subsided, breathing is difficult & it runs or bleeds pretty much chronically. At this point the amount of permanent damage that he caused not only physically but also emotionally & mentally is undeniably going to affect the rest of my life and career. So, there is no longer a reason for me to not post my face and every other aspect of this journey with all of you. The legal system as Im sure most of you are aware is a long, arduous, drawn out process. Both the criminal and civil legal proceedings are still going. In the meantime, I am going to therapy & trying to heal inside and out. Scroll for before/afters. "
Her lawyer really should have advised her against posting any of this. She mentions a "brand". Not sure what brand that is, nobody has heard of her before this claim of hers. I still don't know her name.

Then she mentions finding a way to "pay for it". This leaves the impression she's looking for money. Mentioning a civil lawsuit backs that up.

Using the word "y'all" doesn't really endear you to anyone outside of the trailer park/ghetto crowd while mentioning that you want people to "follow you through this journey". Again, she's looking like she's trying to capitalize on this by gaining "followers" on social media which can be construed as an attempt to make money off of her own misfortune.

She also drops the "it's going to affect me the rest of my life and career" line. She's giving the impression that she's angling hard for a payout...and she's not even trying to hide it.

Then throws in that she's in "therapy to heal inside and out".

She really shouldn't have posted any of this. If she has a lawyer I'm surprised he/she didn't advise her against any of this. She's coming across as a gold digging attention and sympathy seeker.

I'm not saying it didn't happen or that Kovalev didn't do anything to her. I just think she should be telling this to a judge and/or jury on the stand and not via social media. They may decide she has possibly contaminated a jury pool by posting to social media if it's a trial by jury.
When it comes to a civil trial, the defense may be able to argue that the "victim" isn't "traumatized" at all due to the fact that she's posting this all over social media and talking about a "brand".
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

it was nice to see canelo emasculate and KTFO this piece of garbage.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
TheUltimateFan

Post by TheUltimateFan »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:36 pm
TheUltimateFan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:01 pm I wonder of the Russian mafia wasn't paid their full cut from his last fight or lost big money and got the corrupt Russian judiciary to file this no witness charge?
BFF back in the mix! What are you rambling on about right here, bud?
NoProp, just saw your message. I've been running with the family and busy, but stopping in more often now. Boxing is slower now with all these "Primadonna's" only wanting to fight once a year and that against subpar competition. Long for the good ol days when champs fought champs and took a risk.

I'll be checking in often and posting when I have something to say. Good talking with you.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Money talks I guess.
I mentioned Floyd, I wished I woud've have mentioned Corales.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”