Gervonta Davis isn't ready for Vasyl Lomachenko!

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
TheUltimateFan

Gervonta Davis isn't ready for Vasyl Lomachenko!

Post by TheUltimateFan »

Gervonta's power isn't the same at 135 lbs as he struggled to finish a ruptered achilles tendoned Gamboa. He fed Gamboa all sorts of fist food for 12 rounds and normally glass chinned Gamboa surprised everyone when kept eating them and gave some classic combos of his own.

If Tank Davis fights Lomachenko in 2020, I see Lomachenko beating the socks off of him while earning a stoppage by TKO or mercy of his corner. Davis needs a couple years to work on some things and if Floyd Mayweather is smart, he will encourage the wait. Let Davis work into his new higher weight and sharpen alot of skills and gain more experience.

I don't even see Gervonta getting past Teofimo Lopez in 2020. However, we know the Teofimo vs Lomachenko fight will be exciting and much anticipated in 2020....if it indeed happens.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Re: Gervonta Davis isn't ready for Vasyl Lomachenko!

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Tank has the talent and skills to beat anybody. But Tank needs to focus, train hard, and take his career seriously....or, like you said, he has NO CHANCE of beating Loma or Lopez.

The Gamboa fight should be a definite wake up call for him. It SHOULD be....
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

It doesn't matter they wont ever fight anyway
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Yeah he wasn't THAT impressive... Loma would make him miss and be too quick for him imo
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

He's as ready as he's ever gonna be. If he's not ready for him, and he needs Father Time to do it for him. It looks like he'll have to wait in line behind the younger Teofimo Lopez who has the balls to attempt to do what everyone has been wanting Gervonta to try for the last couple of years.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

If he ain’t ready now then he’s never gonna be.

No need to prolong it. He needs to get in there after Lopez does and fight to win and he’ll have a slim chance, but that’s just how it goes... if he loses... then well... sometimes guys are just better than you
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

His team is set on a Tank PPV next fight so look for Leo Santa Cruz to be up to bat. Don't know who else they can match the kid with and sell it on PPV.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

A santa cruz fight is interesting
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Is robert Easter still pbc?
NoPropaganda 253

Santa Cruz fight isn't bad. Both those of those guys desperately need a name/interesting opponent. Nothing, but showcase type fights with all the talent and options in and near their respective weight classes.

Easter is still PBC, moved up to 140 and fought Granados in a fight with decent action after what had to be the worst fight I witnessed in 2019 against Rances Barthelemy.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Gervonta has excellent talent but his matchmaking hasn't been great. The Pedraza win was really nice, but since then there have been far too many washed up and/or undersized opponents. I don't understand it because he's been trouncing everyone and it's hardly as though his performances suggest that he needs protecting; this is the most competitive fight he's had and he still won nearly every round, scored 3 knockdowns, and got a stoppage.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did fight LSC next, and of course that would be yet another guy coming up in weight and not someone with an established career in the division.

Javier Fortuna is with PBC at 135 and many thought he beat Easter, what about him? I give Tank a real shot to beat Loma, but I do think he could be better prepared..
NoPropaganda 253

Tank/Santa Cruz would play better at 130, but I'm not crying for Leo if he moves up. His career has frustrated me.

Fortuna should be fighting Luke Cambell under direction of WBC for a vacant belt that would set up a showdown with Devin Haney once he's healed from his surgery on his shoulder, but I think he's still a Big Al fighter so who knows.. I thought he beat Easter as well.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Gary once a year Russell, santa cruz, davis.... all very good fighters who wasted prime years

Does the sport deserve any fans?
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Gary once a year Russell, santa cruz, davis.... all very good fighters who wasted prime years

Does the sport deserve any fans?
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

loma doesnt seem to agree since hes been ducking the kid for quite some time...
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

If Campbell gave Loma problems tank is definitely ready.
NoPropaganda 253

Tank still hasn't fought a Cambell let alone a Loma. Other side of the street and shit, right? Tank needs to sign with TR otherwise he's ducking.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Tank's side has openly said there is no need for it to happen now, and that Tank can wait on it because he's younger than Loma
Hillsinitialrebirth

Loma is not unbeatable, he's been beaten, and troubled by fighters(Linares/Campbell) before. But what I saw from Tank this past Saturday, if that's the best he can do at 135, then he has no chance against Loma. The pure talent between the two is nearly equal, but Loma, obviously takes his craft seriously, and is one of the hardest workers in the sport. Tank, not so much.

Tank seems to have developed that 'Mayweather Syndrome': As in...all of the guys who hang around, associate, and come up through Floyd, think that they are Floyd, or at that level. While failing to realize, that Floyd, was one of the hardest workers in the sport, and earned his lofty status, by actually moving up through the ranks.
NoPropaganda 253

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:45 pm Loma is not unbeatable, he's been beaten, and troubled by fighters(Linares/Campbell) before. But what I saw from Tank this past Saturday, if that's the best he can do at 135, then he has no chance against Loma. The pure talent between the two is nearly equal, but Loma, obviously takes his craft seriously, and is one of the hardest workers in the sport. Tank, not so much.

Tank seems to have developed that 'Mayweather Syndrome: As in...all of the guys who hang around, associate, and come up through Floyd, think that they are Floyd, or at that level. While failing to realize, that Floyd, was one of the hardest workers in the sport, and earned his lofty status, by actually moving up through the ranks.
Speaking of Floyd, I blame Tank's management, my friend. They aren't getting him the opponents or styles needed to progress as he can. He would be considered a 5 star prospect in football, but they sat him and he had 1 fight total in 16 months in '17-'18 because why the fuck? His activity in '19 was a definite turn in the right direction, but he needs the fights. I like Santa Cruz for him next and Farmer would have been nice at 130. Tank's ceiling is still high as hell, but their needs to be a focused effort from his entire team to maximize his talents and coinciding earning potential.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Speaking of Floyd, I blame Tank's management, my friend. They aren't getting him the opponents or styles needed to progress as he can. He would be considered a 5 star prospect in football, but they sat him and he had 1 fight total in 16 months in '17-'18 because why the fuck? His activity in '19 was a definite turn in the right direction, but he needs the fights. I like Santa Cruz for him next and Farmer would have been nice at 130. Tank's ceiling is still high as hell, but their needs to be a focused effort from his entire team to maximize his talents and coinciding earning potential.
I agree with you. There's a lot NOT right with many of Tank's surroundings(training, more ring time, top opponents, dedication to his craft, his handlers, etc, etc, etc...).
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:00 pm
Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:45 pm Loma is not unbeatable, he's been beaten, and troubled by fighters(Linares/Campbell) before. But what I saw from Tank this past Saturday, if that's the best he can do at 135, then he has no chance against Loma. The pure talent between the two is nearly equal, but Loma, obviously takes his craft seriously, and is one of the hardest workers in the sport. Tank, not so much.

Tank seems to have developed that 'Mayweather Syndrome: As in...all of the guys who hang around, associate, and come up through Floyd, think that they are Floyd, or at that level. While failing to realize, that Floyd, was one of the hardest workers in the sport, and earned his lofty status, by actually moving up through the ranks.
Mayweather promotions offered tevin his biggest payday of his career and he turned down the fight and Santa cruz fight is his next fight on ppv Mayweather promotions is moving tank correctly and that's been proven by the sellout arenas when fights.
NoPropaganda 253

stunna 2.0 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:12 pm
NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Mayweather promotions offered tevin his biggest payday of his career and he turned down the fight and Santa cruz fight is his next fight on ppv Mayweather promotions is moving tank correctly and that's been proven by the sellout arenas when fights.
No reason to sit a kid like Tank on the bench for a year and half from age 22-24, Stunnamane. Props for the sellouts, they are marketing him well, I'm talking about management in regards to his progression as a fighter. 2019 was a step in the proper direction and a good look. Keep him busy, show him different styles and challenge the young killer.
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

Where is this year and a half you're talking about tanks longest layoff was 10 months
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

If he isnt ready for the fight now, he Never Will be unless they wait out Lomachenko Like i have a feeling they are doing.....
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”