Conor McGregor destroyed Donald Cerrone in 40 sec. Saturday

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
TheSickness316

Re: Conor McGregor destroyed Donald Cerrone in 40 sec. Saturday

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:53 pm I knew it would be a quick KO. There’s a reason they picked Cowboy for this fight. He got stopped in his last 2 fights before this one.
But the fight with Tony, he got stopped because of the doctor. Wasn't like he was destroyed in that fight. So while that was a stoppage, it's tough for me to use that loss as this negative that people are.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

The Dr stopped it but he was getting beat up, it was going to end soon.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

TheSickness316 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:09 am
Primetyme199 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:53 pm I knew it would be a quick KO. There’s a reason they picked Cowboy for this fight. He got stopped in his last 2 fights before this one.
But the fight with Tony, he got stopped because of the doctor. Wasn't like he was destroyed in that fight. So while that was a stoppage, it's tough for me to use that loss as this negative that people are.
I saw Cerrone quit against Ferguson. Dude has fought professionally for fucking years, countless wars, had his nose broken repeatedly and sat in that corner blowing his fucking nose until his shit popped on accident? Imo, that was his way out. Until then, at least he put up a fight, unlike this past Sat.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:28 am The Dr stopped it but he was getting beat up, it was going to end soon.
But they were going into the 3rd with each one having won a round. So it was competitive.

And maybe I'm taking this the wrong way, but the feeling I got bringing up the 2 losses by stoppage, was saying as though he was destroyed.
Last edited by TheSickness316 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:04 am
TheSickness316 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:09 am
I saw Cerrone quit against Ferguson. Dude has fought professionally for fucking years, countless wars, had his nose broken repeatedly and sat in that corner blowing his fucking nose until his shit popped on accident? Imo, that was his way out. Until then, at least he put up a fight, unlike this past Sat.
And that's fine if you think that and I won't question that. I personally feel he didn't quit, but if that's what you think, that's fine. My point is when you look at the fight with Tony, though he lost and it was stopped, it was a competitive fight. Though he was stopped in that fight it's not like he was completely destroyed.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

He's not the same fighter he was, you can clearly see that with his fights. He's been in a lot of wars and his chin is nowhere what it was years ago. He's tailor made for McGregor, usually a slow starter that likes to stand and bang. There was a reason the UFC allowed Cerrone to fight McGregor, they weren't going to risk McGregor losing again before a title fight. If he lost again against anyone but the champ his career is essentially finished with the persona he puts out.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:17 am He's not the same fighter he was, you can clearly see that with his fights. He's been in a lot of wars and his chin is nowhere what it was years ago. He's tailor made for McGregor, usually a slow starter that likes to stand and bang. There was a reason the UFC allowed Cerrone to fight McGregor, they weren't going to risk McGregor losing again before a title fight. If he lost again against anyone but the champ his career is essentially finished with the persona he puts out.
But even the problem with looking at it like that is the fact they were originally supposed to fight each other in July until the UFC tried playing hardball and not make the fight the main event. It's why Cerrone ended up facing Tony, because the fight fell through. So Cerrone would have been on a 3 fight win streak if they fought when they were originally supposed to.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

He was still tailor made for McGregor and on the downside of his career. They have been very cautious about who they match McGregor with his entire career once he started getting a name. The one thing the UFC does well is know when a fighter has lost it. Look at the free agents they let go, everyone thinks they are crazy for doing it but they usually never perform the same again.

There was no way they were going to allow Conor any chance of losing in this comeback fight. They matched him perfectly. They made the fight at 170 so he didn't have a big cut for his first fight back and put Cowboy up in weight.

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 am He was still tailor made for McGregor and on the downside of his career. They have been very cautious about who they match McGregor with his entire career once he started getting a name. The one thing the UFC does well is know when a fighter has lost it. Look at the free agents they let go, everyone thinks they are crazy for doing it but they usually never perform the same again.
I get it, but when people want to pretend that Conor only fought Cowboy because of the 2 fight skid is wrong considering when they were supposed to fight originally.

Question though.... you brought up a title shot. Do you really think they will have Conor wait until the end of the year to fight Khabib or Tony and have him not do his "season"?
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

His coach said he's going to fight again this summer but who knows. I can see them keeping him from fighting again until the title fight. I personally think it's complete BS if he gets a title fight at 155 because he won this last fight at 170.

Rumor has it that he's also a possibility if either Tony or Khabib can't fight. After only 40 seconds he'd be ready to go.

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:46 am His coach said he's going to fight again this summer but who knows. I can see them keeping him from fighting again until the title fight. I personally think it's complete BS if he gets a title fight at 155 because he won this last fight at 170.

Rumor has it that he's also a possibility if either Tony or Khabib can't fight. After only 40 seconds he'd be ready to go.
I know what his coach said. I watched his interview. Hell, Conor said after the fight he wants to be back no later than May or June. In fact his coach said if he had the choice he'd want Conor to fight Gaethje at 170.

Considering how many times Khabib vs. Tony fell through, it is quite possible.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Kavanaugh wants McGregor vs Gaethje next but not at 155, he wants it at 170. A weight Gaethje has never fought at.

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:03 pm Kavanaugh wants McGregor vs Gaethje next but not at 155, he wants it at 170. A weight Gaethje has never fought at.
I know, because Kavanaugh doesn't see the point in doing a weight cut unless it's for a title. Now if Gaethje is offered the fight at 170 (since I think it will be him or Masvidal next for Conor) will he accept?
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

If I'm Gaethje I say no, moving up to 170 doesn't do a thing for him at 155.

I completely disagree with Kavanaugh's thinking, yes he doesn't want to cut weight which I can understand but you can't expect to fight at 170 and then say you deserve a title shot at a weight you don't fight at.

If he wants Conor to stay at 170 then he should start fighting the guys that are in that weight class. Not bringing up fighters to a higher weight because it suits him better.

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:58 pm If I'm Gaethje I say no, moving up to 170 doesn't do a thing for him at 155.

I completely disagree with Kavanaugh's thinking, yes he doesn't want to cut weight which I can understand but you can't expect to fight at 170 and then say you deserve a title shot at a weight you don't fight at.

If he wants Conor to stay at 170 then he should start fighting the guys that are in that weight class. Not bringing up fighters to a higher weight because it suits him better.
Maybe Conor will go back to 155 for a non title fight. He left that option open.

Question becomes is Gaethje really willing to sit out an entire year just to get a title shot.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”