CANELO KTFO KOVALEV in the 11th Round Saturday

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Danielk015

Re: CANELO KTFO KOVALEV in the 11th Round Saturday

Post by Danielk015 »

Floyd vs McGregor was a more legit fight as at least, McGregor tried to lay out Floyd even if he did not have the skills to do so. Kov had a lot of weapons at his disposal against little Canelo, but did not unleash a single one. smh.
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

What would you all say were Kovalev’s best wins coming into this?
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Pascal 1
Pascal 2
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Pangloss wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:15 pm What would you all say were Kovalev’s best wins coming into this?
Unofficially
Ward I - Watched the fight 10 times, I gave the 10th to Kovalev which gave him the decision.
Officially
Pascal I and II
B-Hop
Cleverly
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

I have a similar opinion and in light of that I just have to ask myself if maybe even at his best/prime Kovalev was somewhat overrated, and that when you add age and a loss of desire/heart/psychological issues, you get what we got. Jean Pascal was not a great fighter. He was never the best at the weight classes he fought at even at his very best.

Resilience and resolve are so heavily mental, and Kovalev is broken/compromised on so many angles. Think about Wladimir Klitschko. Guy really was physically incredible, and not just because he was bigger and stronger than most, but even more that along with that he so much quicker and more fluid even than guys he dwarfed, but only as long as he was feeling confident. Put him under fire after getting stopped a couple times, and he was a klutzy octopus who could do nothing but wrap and reset. He was exceptionally well trained in that facet and effective if ugly using it, but still.

Maybe a hypothetically mentally perfect Kovalev, even at this physical age, does fine and wins, and doesn’t quit under the same adversity. I think so. I think that hypothetical person wins easily in fact. But he doesn’t exist now and didn’t exist coming into this fight either.
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

I have a similar opinion and in light of that I just have to ask myself if maybe even at his best/prime Kovalev was somewhat overrated, and that when you add age and a loss of desire/heart/psychological issues, you get what we got. Jean Pascal was not a great fighter. He was never the best at the weight classes he fought at even at his very best.

Resilience and resolve are so heavily mental, and Kovalev is broken/compromised on so many angles. Think about Wladimir Klitschko. Guy really was physically incredible, and not just because he was bigger and stronger than most, but even more that along with that he so much quicker and more fluid even than guys he dwarfed, but only as long as he was feeling confident. Put him under fire after getting stopped a couple times, and he was a klutzy octopus who could do nothing but wrap and reset. He was exceptionally well trained in that facet and effective if ugly using it, but still.

Maybe a hypothetically mentally perfect Kovalev, even at this physical age, does fine and wins, and doesn’t quit under the same adversity. I think so. I think that hypothetical person wins easily in fact. But he doesn’t exist now and didn’t exist coming into this fight either.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

All power punches get overrated while they are destroying 2nd rate competition.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Eh, not sure that Kov has really been that overrated....he was underdog for 3 of the 4 fights he lost (the other one he avenged easily) and many people thought that he wouldn't even push Ward, yet he had a great case for winning the first fight. I remember an ESPN poll of 25 'experts' actually favoured Hopkins to beat him too, and there was a common narrative that he was a crude slugger and just the next Pavlik going into that--certainly that he would have some issues with BHop's 'craftiness'. There's been plenty of doubt about him and this wasn't like GGG where he was viewed as some ATG smashing machine.

Not every rated fighter at the end of the line has been some big ass hypejob. Overall Kov has actually done fairly in line with popular opinion...
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Kovalev wasn’t special in my opinion, but he was very good. He certainly passed my eye test.

What happened with Canelo was absolutely, positively bizarre and I just don’t see any way around that. It’s not that he lost, but the way he fought. Regardless of who you may think is better, Andre Ward is certainly a trickier fighter to figure out and Pascal way more unorthodox, yet he fought Canelo like he was the next counter puncher to ever step in a ring.

I’ve seen Canelo fight way better fights than he did against Kovalev and either lose (GGG 1) or win by a sliver (GGG 2) and Jacobs.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

kov was a great fighter, but never really elite IMO. big puncher who KOd lackluster opposition much of his career. he wasnt paid off, he was cherrypicked by canelos team. cherrypicked because hes a big name who showed signs of decline and an inability to pull the trigger anymore. its a good win in the sense that he KOd a much bigger man who was a legitimate champion of the division not too long ago, but this was FAR from a prime kovalev, or even a top 175er. canelo capitalized on the timing of the fight and took him out before everyone else started too. i think alvarez beating him sparked interest, then the yarde fight confimred that they could take out kovalev and they pounced.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I agree about the Puncher/Intimidator being punched out of Kov... but he was more than good... He defeated Ward in the 1st fight imo which is excellent.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

the13r wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm I agree about the Puncher/Intimidator being punched out of Kov... but he was more than good... He defeated Ward in the 1st fight imo which is excellent.
He was more that good. Among my favorite moments of Kovalev, his KO of Sillah, his jab to the body KO of Agnew, putting Ward on his ass and the best firing a low left jab and putting Campillo on queer street. Rare that guys carry that kind of power. Kovalev won IMO against Ward, more importantly to me he did a lot better against Ward than I thought he would. Although if you search my post I said that Kovalev would drop Ward early but Ward would still win a comfortable decision. I digress.

Props to Canelo though, his face wasn't unmarked from the fight. If Canelo did fight Beterbiev, I think it would be a close fight. Canelo has a helluva chin.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Danielk015 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:01 pm I was watching this fight with a lot of people and everyone was like WTF on Kov. For the folks that did not know Kov, I showed them the Yarde fight while everyone was waiting for the UFC fight to get done. Everyone was like, is this the same fukking fighter? Kov is fighting Canelo in Vegas and there is a good chance he does not win a decision, no matter how much he dominates and then Kov did not sit on any of his punches.

I told the audience to wait for Canelo to eat some power jabs coming in, and all that happened was power puff pitty pat jabs. This fight was so confusing. Kov goes balls out against Yarde and Alvarez, but in his biggest money fight, he only throws little kiddy jabs? Now he is afraid to get knocked out and wants to go decision?

The only reason it smells fishy is Kov not fighting like kov. He may be shot, but he still was all in against Yarde and dug deep. Here, he sparred his way to a late KO. I don't understand what I was seeing.
Super odd to me was that Kov let Canelo control the middle of the ring and Kov backing up in the later rounds. Not crazy to think the fix could be in considering the motherland of both of these fighters.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”