CANELO KTFO KOVALEV in the 11th Round Saturday

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Tocsin

CANELO KTFO KOVALEV in the 11th Round Saturday

Post by Tocsin »

How easy will it be for Canelo to hurt Kovalev? Canelo would be moving up two divisions and for the most part is an accumulative puncher at 160. And of course Canelo, though rock chinned at 160, would be facing a genuine LHW puncher. Remember when Chavez moved to LHW after walking through everything at 160? He got dropped and stopped for the first time in his career and clearly didn't take the power as well.

If Kov takes his shots okay, then you have a guy in Kov who is much bigger and longer, and who has never been clearly outboxed by anyone. He pretty much split the rounds vs the great Ward, and then was ahead in all his other fights. He has a sharp jab and is very good at a distance.

I see a lot of talk like Canelo just going to destroy him quick and easy, but it could be very interesting. I tend to think they've got Kov at the right time and that Canelo will manage a W though.
ObJuan13

Re: Canelo vs Kovalev

Post by ObJuan13 »

Can’t really give a solid opinion until I hear the weight stipulations
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

"In the initial discussions for the fight in September, Golden Boy president Eric Gomez told ESPN that Alvarez wouldn't seek a catch weight to try to drain Kovalev below the 175-pound division limit."

sounds like alvarez doesnt want a catch weight. this could be a good one. at 175 even if there is some sort of rehydration clause, this is a huge risk. jumping 2 more divisions to fight a big puncher is never advisable. kovalev is DRASTICALLY bigger than canelo. props if this goes down this way
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

TopNotch86 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:57 pm "In the initial discussions for the fight in September, Golden Boy president Eric Gomez told ESPN that Alvarez wouldn't seek a catch weight to try to drain Kovalev below the 175-pound division limit."

sounds like alvarez doesnt want a catch weight. this could be a good one. at 175 even if there is some sort of rehydration clause, this is a huge risk. jumping 2 more divisions to fight a big puncher is never advisable. kovalev is DRASTICALLY bigger than canelo. props if this goes down this way
I dislike the rehydration clause more than a catchweight.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

If Canelo fights Kovalev with no catchweight, or rehydration clause...he deserves nothing but respect.
Hillsinitialrebirth

How easy will it be for Canelo to hurt Kovalev? Canelo would be moving up two divisions and for the most part is an accumulative puncher at 160. And of course Canelo, though rock chinned at 160, would be facing a genuine LHW puncher. Remember when Chavez moved to LHW after walking through everything at 160? He got dropped and stopped for the first time in his career and clearly didn't take the power as well.

If Kov takes his shots okay, then you have a guy in Kov who is much bigger and longer, and who has never been clearly outboxed by anyone. He pretty much split the rounds vs the great Ward, and then was ahead in all his other fights. He has a sharp jab and is very good at a distance.

I see a lot of talk like Canelo just going to destroy him quick and easy, but it could be very interesting. I tend to think they've got Kov at the right time and that Canelo will manage a W though.
Is Kovalev vulnerable? Hell yes!!! He can be hurt, and his fatigue issues can definitely be taken advantage of. But can Canelo do it? That's the real question.

Ward is a great boxer, and is strong and a tough/rough S.O.B., he can win fights in 100 different ways if he has to. Canelo is no Ward in that aspect, not even close. Alvarez, is a big, strong guy at 175, and we saw what he did to Kovalev in their first fight. Canelo doesn't have the power to do something like that. And we see what Kovalev did to Alvarez in the rematch. And Yarde, though raw...had success against Kovalev, but once again, he's a big/strong guy. This is boxing, and sometimes being big, strong, and powerful, can save you, or make you competitive.

I agree they may be getting Kovalev at the right time, but make no mistake about it, Canelo is up against it. I haven't heard too many people saying that Canelo will dispatch of him "quick and easy", I've really heard the opposite. If Canelo beats Kovalev, he will have to fight the fight of his life, and it will be a HUGE upset IMO. Canelo has the name, the popularity, and the fanbase, so it's easy to get caught up riding his wave. But in reality...I favor Kovalev, in pretty convincing fashion(ala Spence-Garcia). And him stopping Canelo wouldn't surprise me at all. Kovalev is too big, too strong, and too skilled. Hell...there are top 175 guys who would be reluctant to fight this version of Kovalev.

Canelo deserves MAJOR credit if he fights him, and he has some HUGE balls. But that's where it ends....
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:47 pm If Canelo fights Kovalev with no catchweight, or rehydration clause...he deserves nothing but respect.
Agreed. I'm also willing to give Canelo respect if Kovalev pulls a Dawson with offering to fight at a specific weight like Dawson did with Ward. Canelo shouldn't be criticized if that happens.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

ObJuan13 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:18 pm Can’t really give a solid opinion until I hear the weight stipulations
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:59 pm

Is Kovalev vulnerable? Hell yes!!! He can be hurt, and his fatigue issues can definitely be taken advantage of. But can Canelo do it? That's the real question.

Ward is a great boxer, and is strong and a tough/rough S.O.B., he can win fights in 100 different ways if he has to. Canelo is no Ward in that aspect, not even close. Alvarez, is a big, strong guy at 175, and we saw what he did to Kovalev in their first fight. Canelo doesn't have the power to do something like that. And we see what Kovalev did to Alvarez in the rematch. And Yarde, though raw...had success against Kovalev, but once again, he's a big/strong guy. This is boxing, and sometimes being big, strong, and powerful, can save you, or make you competitive.

I agree they may be getting Kovalev at the right time, but make no mistake about it, Canelo is up against it. I haven't heard too many people saying that Canelo will dispatch of him "quick and easy", I've really heard the opposite. If Canelo beats Kovalev, he will have to fight the fight of his life, and it will be a HUGE upset IMO. Canelo has the name, the popularity, and the fanbase, so it's easy to get caught up riding his wave. But in reality...I favor Kovalev, in pretty convincing fashion(ala Spence-Garcia). And him stopping Canelo wouldn't surprise me at all. Kovalev is too big, too strong, and too skilled. Hell...there are top 175 guys who would be reluctant to fight this version of Kovalev.

Canelo deserves MAJOR credit if he fights him, and he has some HUGE balls. But that's where it ends....
I've seen Canelo generally favoured on forums, and all the bookies I've seen with odds have him as favourite too, up to being 4.5-1. There were opening prices of 9/2 and 10/3 if you bet on Kov, in other words if you bet $2 on Kov and he wins you win $9. I think a lot of people are anticipating that he's shot, though I think he looked good in the redo vs Alvarez and I had him winning all but 2 rounds vs Yarde.

If there is no egregious weight nonsense, it would be an excellent W for Canelo.
Hillsinitialrebirth

It's crazy to me that Canelo would be favored by that much. But I think this is a glossed-over, hyped up mismatch, if it happens. But I think some people could win some big money on Kovalev with those odds.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

TheSickness316 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:28 pm
TopNotch86 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:57 pm "In the initial discussions for the fight in September, Golden Boy president Eric Gomez told ESPN that Alvarez wouldn't seek a catch weight to try to drain Kovalev below the 175-pound division limit."

Well that just doesn’t make any sense... from the looks of it kovalev isn’t a big rehydration blow up guy anyways seems he’s usually only around 184-185 on fight night.

I find the double standard around here utterly ridiculous on this matter. It’s deemed a fair fight for a 160lb canelo to jump 2 divisions to fight a full fledged 175lber making no weight concessions, but if the guy who is jumping the 2 divisions north simply asks that he’s not in the ring with a damn heavyweight he’s the one deemed a princess lol as if the 15lbs canelo is conceding initially isn’t enough.

I guess guys would rather he fights no hopers at 160 for his entire career than seek out challenges against bigger opponents like someone else refused to do
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I think the key will be a pretty big ring... Canelo can then control the action with quick in and out combo sequences at will... Makes it the distance... Decision is almost in the bag... Just don't get drop and keep active enough
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Canelo is a counterpuncher, that’s his strength. To beat Kovalev he’s going to have to force the action. Kovalev has height, reach a terrific jab and a dangerous straight right. Canelo has never shown an exceptional jab so I’m having a difficult time understanding how Canelo is going to get inside at Kovalev’s body while Kovalev is able to move his feet and throw his 1-2.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Kovalev is slow and his footwork isn't what it used to be, that's what Canelo's team is banking on to win this fight if it happens. The Kovalev jab that won fights vs Hopkins, second Alvarez fight and Yarde will be much more difficult to land against Canelo, a guy that has improved his defense significantly in the last couple of years. They probably believe that Canelo is quick enough that he will make Kovalev miss with most of his punches.

There's a reason Canelo's team wants a Kovalev fight. They see a distinct advantage there somewhere otherwise they wouldn't be looking to make the fight.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

TopNotch86 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Well that just doesn’t make any sense... from the looks of it kovalev isn’t a big rehydration blow up guy anyways seems he’s usually only around 184-185 on fight night.

I find the double standard around here utterly ridiculous on this matter. It’s deemed a fair fight for a 160lb canelo to jump 2 divisions to fight a full fledged 175lber making no weight concessions, but if the guy who is jumping the 2 divisions north simply asks that he’s not in the ring with a damn heavyweight he’s the one deemed a princess lol as if the 15lbs canelo is conceding initially isn’t enough.

I guess guys would rather he fights no hopers at 160 for his entire career than seek out challenges against bigger opponents like someone else refused to do
Double standards?? Canelo has weight restricted 3 of his last 4 foes, the only one of the 4 he couldn’t was Golovkin though he made a valiant effort. Please...
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

well canelo jumped up to golovkins division so he was the one who made a weight concession for those fights...as he has done numerous times in his career... if anything golovkin was the princess for not going down to 154...the larger man is never criticized for not budging on weight yet the smaller guy who is always conceding lbs is criticized for wanting to somewhat limit that weight advantage. mind boggling
NoPropaganda 253

154? Princess literally made up his own weight class and had multiple fights in it. Props for consistency, though, Top. From Floyd to Canelo stays loving those princesses. :)
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

TopNotch86 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Is this a serious comment? No one is forcing Canelo to do anything. He's the one saying he wants to move up in weight. So stop with this nonsense. This is the same Canelo that bitched about fighting Floyd at a catchweight. If the weight of the guy is too much that even him on steroid meat can't help, then his ass should not even bother making this fight.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

TopNotch86 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:59 am well canelo jumped up to golovkins division so he was the one who made a weight concession for those fights...as he has done numerous times in his career... if anything golovkin was the princess for not going down to 154...the larger man is never criticized for not budging on weight yet the smaller guy who is always conceding lbs is criticized for wanting to somewhat limit that weight advantage. mind boggling
You mean besides the fact Canelo had 5 fights in the middleweight division and 1 fight in the super middleweight division before he and his team found their courage to fight GGG?
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 am 154? Princess literally made up his own weight class and had multiple fights in it. Props for consistency, though, Top. From Floyd to Canelo stays loving those princesses. :)
actually him fighting even a lb above 154 is a concession by him. catchweights are a way of making fair fights between fighters in different weight classes. its comical how some think that unless canelo makes concessions to everything that his opponent is most comfortable at, he is the one being a diva. kovalev not budging from 175 to fight a jr mw isnt the one considered a princess or diva, its the guy who is jumping well above his weight class who would be considered one for making a minor weight stipulation request

even if he puts a rehydration clause on kovalave (which hasnt even been brought up to begin with) this move of going north 2 more divisions for a fight is a drastically bigger concession and challenge than any of the fights the fan girl favorite around here golovkin has ever taken in his entire career. yet canelo is criticized and golovkin is praised lol
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 am 154? Princess literally made up his own weight class and had multiple fights in it. Props for consistency, though, Top. From Floyd to Canelo stays loving those princesses. :)
i respect fighters who seek out challenges outside of their comfort zone moreso than guys who are content trying to make the world come to them. old school warriors like canelo and mikey garcia who seek out risky fights are always preferred to guys who say "well this is my division so ill fight the best here forever even if theres no real threat"
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

TheSickness316 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:54 am
TopNotch86 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:59 am well canelo jumped up to golovkins division so he was the one who made a weight concession for those fights...as he has done numerous times in his career... if anything golovkin was the princess for not going down to 154...the larger man is never criticized for not budging on weight yet the smaller guy who is always conceding lbs is criticized for wanting to somewhat limit that weight advantage. mind boggling
You mean besides the fact Canelo had 5 fights in the middleweight division and 1 fight in the super middleweight division before he and his team found their courage to fight GGG?
all either being concessions to his opponents or attempts to grow into princess GGGs division to make the fight because princess wouldnt go south. canelo could very easily be fighting at 154 today
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

TopNotch86 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:32 am
TheSickness316 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:54 am
all either being concessions to his opponents or attempts to grow into princess GGGs division to make the fight because princess wouldnt go south. canelo could very easily be fighting at 154 today
Concessions for others? Lol. Nice try considering you know Canelo was fighting in the middleweight division since 2013, nearly 4 years before he fought GGG.

There's a reason fighting at 155 is labeled Canelo- weight.
NoPropaganda 253

TopNotch86 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:26 am
actually him fighting even a lb above 154 is a concession by him. catchweights are a way of making fair fights between fighters in different weight classes. its comical how some think that unless canelo makes concessions to everything that his opponent is most comfortable at, he is the one being a diva. kovalev not budging from 175 to fight a jr mw isnt the one considered a princess or diva, its the guy who is jumping well above his weight class who would be considered one for making a minor weight stipulation request

even if he puts a rehydration clause on kovalave (which hasnt even been brought up to begin with) this move of going north 2 more divisions for a fight is a drastically bigger concession and challenge than any of the fights the fan girl favorite around here golovkin has ever taken in his entire career. yet canelo is criticized and golovkin is praised lol
You're right. This "debate" is comical. Clown shit, brought to you by Top.

Bro, you grew up playing with a plethora of princess figurines and that's ok. It's 2019. Nothing to be ashamed of these days.
NoPropaganda 253

TopNotch86 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:29 am
i respect fighters who seek out challenges outside of their comfort zone moreso than guys who are content trying to make the world come to them. old school warriors like canelo and mikey garcia who seek out risky fights are always preferred to guys who say "well this is my division so ill fight the best here forever even if theres no real threat"
Na. You respect Princesses. That's your thing, bud. It's ok.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”