Andy Ruiz To Team Joshua: I'm The Champ, I Call The Shots Now

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Andy Ruiz To Team Joshua: I'm The Champ, I Call The Shots Now

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.boxingscene.com/andy-ruiz-t ... ow--139729

Andy Ruiz will not allow himself to get treated like the B-side in the ongoing negotiations for the rematch with Anthony Joshua.

On Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Ruiz pulled off a massive upset when he stopped Joshua in the seventh round to capture the WBA, WBO, IBF, IBO world heavyweight titles.

Ruiz dropped Joshua four times in the contest, before the referee waved off the contest.

On Tuesday, Joshua officially activated his immediate rematch clause.

So far there has been a lot of talk from Joshua and his handlers, regarding where and when the contest will take place.

At the moment, Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn is looking to stage the fight in the UK, on a date in November or December.

Ruiz is open to going to the UK, but he would rather have it in America or Mexico.

"I’m willing to go over there or if he’s wants to come over here… we’re still in negotiations. Have it here in America? I agree. Or in Mexico," Ruiz said.

"I have the upper advantage right now. I know that's what (Hearn) says (about UK rematch). As long as I talk to Al Haymon and my team, we're going to figure it out where. It really doesn't matter where, as long as we get back in the ring if we show the fans what they want to see. I'd love to have it in New York or in LA. I have to look at the contract. I'm the champion. I call the shots now. So we're going to see what happens."

Haymon guides the career of Ruiz and also guides the WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder. If Ruiz wins the rematch, he then could collide with Wilder in a full division unification.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Re: Andy Ruiz To Team Joshua: I'm The Champ, I Call The Shots Now

Post by straycat »

People get out of the rematches look at Fury, throw out going cookoo after Wladdy but he also found a way not to fight Wilder immediately
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Ruiz has some leverage here
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Well... Ruiz has 3 belts, he beat the champ, and he's arguably a bigger star in the United States, than Joshua is/ever was. So going by the same logic that posters on this board used when AJ, was using these things to Big-Time Wilder, then Ruiz definitely has a leg to stand on.

Like I said right after the fight was over: The biggest thing lost to Hearn/AJ was their leverage, and bargaining power.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

It depends what the rematch clause said. Ruiz's profile has certainly grown substantially though.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

He's the champ but I doubt he'll get where the fight is held unless the money is too good.

I bet Joshua never fights outside of the UK ever again for some supposed tune up fight.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

They signed a contract that stipulated and immediate rematch and had already determined purse splits. From what i would guess and have read elsewhere it will be where it can generate the most $$ so either vegas or uk

Andy is likable but he doesnt know what the contract said in the first place as he admitted. Same with joshua
mofo2

Post by mofo2 »

Ruiz should definitely call the shots, but if he wants to maximise his earnings he wants to go along with what AJs team are suggesting; he will hit massive revenue with 100,000 bums on seats over here in gate alone!!
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

win 2 or 3 fights and we might get a fight at Dodger Stadium, lol

Well, at least I mean another one.
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

If team Joshua agrees to the 50 million. Team Ruiz better make sure the funds are real.
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Ruiz wrote: I have to look at the contract.
Probably should have done this before the fight. No doubt the split and control is already agreed.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

I get what Ruiz is doing here, but hopefully, he is willing to approach this rationally. From a box office star standpoint, just because one beats the man, does not always become the man.

It was not like Ruiz was treated bad by AJ. Ruiz earned $7mil for this fight, 7 times the highest earning amount. Will Ruiz be able to earn $15mil, $20mil, $25mil against none top names outside of AJ?

All these wannabe box office stars is making boxing look like shit with matches that should be made not being made.

Remember when JMM would not sign the rematch with Manny for millions, then went to Indonesia and fought and lost in a parking lot? JMM learned that certain boxers have box office star material, some don't. So if offers are made in good faith and fighters feel good about the situation, let's get it made.

It seems like these days there are a lot of Lebron James wannabes, when really, they are Melos of the world at best (which is not a terrible situation either but I think you guys get it).
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

$7-10 Million is exactly what Ruiz deserves for this fight

He didn't get screwed over at all. I also think it would be to his benefit to have the fight in Vegas with no State taxes and a friendly crowd that might help sway the judges in a close fight.

It's his chance to prove his worth and it would set him up for some big time future deals.
straycat

Post by straycat »

https://youtu.be/nVWUxRxV1go

Does Eddie claim fighting in America might not be right for AJ?
Some world champion ya got there :roll:
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Ya, champs should get on the road for title fights shouldn't they stray. Tyson did, Lewis did, Wlad and Vitali did, Parker did, the GOAT Chuck Martin did, AJ did, Fury won the title on the road....I wonder who hasn't :D
Last edited by Tocsin on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Didn't think it was too keen for they guy to publicly state that, he already conceded that a AJ/Wilder fight would make more revenue here.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I guess the conquest of America didn't go too well :)

And if I remember correctly, Wilder was on his way to Russia to defend his title, when Povetkin popped hot. We have resorted to tearing down Wilder, by distorting history. But tearing down Wilder, to distract from AJ's failure, has become commonplace around here.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Lol no one was tearing down Wilder, don't be such a sensitive 'woe is Wilder' bomb squader all the time. It was just a little dig at stray's rather ironic comment--a lot of HW champions have had title fights abroad, but his favourite hasn't. Just a bit funny that he'd stress the point of having title fights internationally when pretty much all recent champs have except the one he's the biggest fan of. It's not something I really knock Wilder for though, it made sense for his fights to be in the US...

I apologize to DW if he saw this and it hurt his feelings :(
straycat

Post by straycat »

There was some verbal concessions of Wilder going to UK for the AJ fight wasn't there? Dig at me all ya want pal let me know when you need the spade sharpened 😎
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:09 pm I guess the conquest of America didn't go too well :)

And if I remember correctly, Wilder was on his way to Russia to defend his title, when Povetkin popped hot. We have resorted to tearing down Wilder, by distorting history. But tearing down Wilder, to distract from AJ's failure, has become commonplace around here.

Preach, Hills. I feel sorry for such folk. At the same time, you just wanna pick those little guys up off the ground, tell them to wipe the snot off their collective faces and tell them everything is gonna be ok.

Boxing hurts sometimes. :)

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”