Joshua just isn’t very good

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
the13r
TTR

Re: Joshua just isn’t very good

Post by the13r »

Not true AJ isn't very good.. but he has to be more aware of the limits of his chin which once checked, can take out his stamina and legs... He and Wilder need to stick to distance fighting... jab... straights... they will be hard to beat if they do that.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

You guys have a low bar if you think AJ is very good. I’m not hating on the guy one bit but he’s barely good let alone very good?

If he’s very good what is Fury? Great?

Or Lennox? Super Great?

And Ali is what a Superhero or something? There are levels to this and he isn’t operating on a high one

The guy is stiff, with a shaky chin, big time stamina issues, over commits on most punches outside of his jab and leaves holes big enough for a truck to drive through. He got outclassed by Andy Ruiz, how is he very good?? Am I supposed to act like I didn’t see what I just saw?
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

ObJuan13 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:14 pm
soonermark890 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:55 pm
Wilders power is very special
Yes it is but that and great length is all he has... very few great fighters had only 1 or two great attributes... We’ll see where he takes it and I hope it’s far but Wilder isn’t a “special” fighter at all yet
it may be all he needs in todays HW division
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

AJ thought the ref was going to put the mouth guard back in, but he didn't. He was trying to buy a few more seconds. Fair play to the ref who wasn't having it and stopped the fight, it was the right decision.
The ref did a great job IMO. If you listen closely, when AJ gets up and leans up against the ropes, you hear the ref telling him "come on, this is NOT a break". He kept telling AJ to come forward, come to him, and AJ just looked away and kept leaning up against the ropes. He didn't want to continue, the ref saw it, and stopped the fight.
Hillsinitialrebirth

AJ is a good fighter, but he does have limitations. Limitations that some on this board have pointed out before(which got some people up in arms), and they finally reared their ugly head, to the point where he got blasted out of there.

Like I said before: Chinny, with a bad gas tank, is not a good combination. AJ kind of reminds me of a HW version of Jermaine Taylor....
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Jt had a limited gas tank but i wouldnt call him chinny. He got drilled by some major punchers... andy ruiz is not a major puncher

Also jt wasnt much of a puncher himself
Hillsinitialrebirth

JT was a good puncher, not devastating, but a good puncher. But in fights, once he got tired, everything fell apart for him. AJ has these qualities....
soonermark890

Post by soonermark890 »

TopNotch86 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:11 am
ObJuan13 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:14 pm
soonermark890 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:55 pm
Wilders power is very special
Yes it is but that and great length is all he has... very few great fighters had only 1 or two great attributes... We’ll see where he takes it and I hope it’s far but Wilder isn’t a “special” fighter at all yet
it may be all he needs in todays HW division
Or any hw division. Power is the great equalizer
FUCK LAWRENCE COLE
FUCK VIC DRAKULICH
FUCK KENNY BAYLESS
FUCK DANA WHITE
FUCK BOTH CHARLO'S
FUCK TEXAS!!!!!!!!
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

straycat wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:00 pm A fighter has a responsibility to address the ref the minute he gets up to where he assures the ref he can continue. It's not reading body language it's knowledge of the game.
This is where I disagree with you. It helps the fighters chances of continuing if he does that but his only responsibility is obeying the refs commands. Fighters try all the time to get extra seconds from spitting mouthpieces out, to sitting in the corner longer then they should, to delaying anything they can, etc. If the ref doesn't tell him to do something right away you can't blame the recovering fighter for that. In this case when the ref told him to do something and he further evaluated that Joshua couldn't continue it was stopped.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:39 am
AJ thought the ref was going to put the mouth guard back in, but he didn't. He was trying to buy a few more seconds. Fair play to the ref who wasn't having it and stopped the fight, it was the right decision.
The ref did a great job IMO. If you listen closely, when AJ gets up and leans up against the ropes, you hear the ref telling him "come on, this is NOT a break". He kept telling AJ to come forward, come to him, and AJ just looked away and kept leaning up against the ropes. He didn't want to continue, the ref saw it, and stopped the fight.
Yeah. He was just trying to buy more time to recover, the ref saw that and stopped the fight. He had his 10 seconds, spat out his mouthpiece to try and get more, but then tried to waste even more time by looking around. I do think he was a little confused why the ref didn't put the mouthpiece back in, but he saw what was happening and well done for stopping it.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 am AJ is a good fighter, but he does have limitations. Limitations that some on this board have pointed out before(which got some people up in arms), and they finally reared their ugly head, to the point where he got blasted out of there.

Like I said before: Chinny, with a bad gas tank, is not a good combination. AJ kind of reminds me of a HW version of Jermaine Taylor....
Nobody said he was perfect, just that he was of the best of the three, particularly Wilder who is awful. No one ever said he would beat Lennox for example, at least I don't think anyone said that.

Some of us just wanted an Undisputed champion and felt Wilder stopped that from happening because he knew he wouldn't win.

Win or lose v Ruiz, hopefully Wilder does now fight the winner.

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Primetyme199 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:07 am
straycat wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:00 pm A fighter has a responsibility to address the ref the minute he gets up to where he assures the ref he can continue. It's not reading body language it's knowledge of the game.
This is where I disagree with you. It helps the fighters chances of continuing if he does that but his only responsibility is obeying the refs commands. Fighters try all the time to get extra seconds from spitting mouthpieces out, to sitting in the corner longer then they should, to delaying anything they can, etc. If the ref doesn't tell him to do something right away you can't blame the recovering fighter for that. In this case when the ref told him to do something and he further evaluated that Joshua couldn't continue it was stopped.
Good post. AJ tried to buy time, didn't work. His own fault, but can't blame him for trying.

Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:49 am Jt had a limited gas tank but i wouldnt call him chinny. He got drilled by some major punchers... andy ruiz is not a major puncher

Lets not forget that AJ got up 4 times, people talking about him like his chin is terrible.

Whether he was concussed, confused, or out of energy, he did get up every time and was never badly knocked down.

Even against Wladimir who hits like a truck he got up well.

Seemed to me that the temple shot in the 3rd just rattled him completely, for whatever reason he just didn't recover properly. Seemed much more like concussion than a poor chin to me.

marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Mayz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:18 am
jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:49 am Jt had a limited gas tank but i wouldnt call him chinny. He got drilled by some major punchers... andy ruiz is not a major puncher

Lets not forget that AJ got up 4 times, people talking about him like his chin is terrible.

Whether he was concussed, confused, or out of energy, he did get up every time and was never badly knocked down.

Seemed to me that the temple shot in the 3rd just rattled him completely, for whatever reason he just didn't recover properly. Seemed much more like concussion than a poor chin to me.
Wlad got the same treatment and Never lived it down until the Joshua fight.....He Got up all the time as well, but the Bad Chin and Stamina critiques hovered over his whole title reign.....Joshua will Be Fine so long as he Learns from this.....ala Wlad-Brewster 1
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

marciano1952 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:21 am

Wlad got the same treatment and Never lived it down until the Joshua fight.....He Got up all the time as well, but the Bad Chin and Stamina critiques hovered over his whole title reign.....Joshua will Be Fine so long as he Learns from this.....ala Wlad-Brewster 1
But Wlad was poisoned in that fight, remember? LOL.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

marciano1952 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:21 am

True. Wlads other issue is he never had the opponents to prove it was wrong until Haye.

In theory, AJ has a few people he can silence the critics with immediately... If he can get past Ruiz that is.

jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I agree seemed to have a concussion based on his odd in ring behavior and questions in his corner between rounds.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

That left hook gets aj a lot doesnt it? Wlad, Ruiz, povetkin, whyte....
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

When AJ opens up he open to it.

The other option is just fighting safely, but he didn't become a star doing that and nobody wants to see it.

straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

You could see a quick shot was open as Ruiz was pressing the action and forcing AJ to fight his fight. The howdy doody hook a great shot but Andy showed great adversity and heart. That planted seeds of doubt from that point on for the (former) champ.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
FightFanAL
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion

Post by FightFanAL »

Joshua has some issues in the ring that Ruiz exposed and technical improvements he needs to continue to work on. Saying that, I was impressed with how he handled his loss like a man and gave credit to Ruiz.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

That was insane how well he took the loss and how much of a gentleman he was about it i agree..reminded me of Andrade post Kessler... Again i think that loss lifted a shit load of pressure off his shoulder.

That smile he had didn't seem fake, he was just glad for him and imo the spotlight not being on him anymore.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

Hey everybody, long time no type.

I actually thought Joshua would've beaten Wilder. Now, not so much.

I know Vlad was old and he got outboxed by Fury, but what Joshua did to Vlad had me buy into the hype. I know that has to do with my not being a Vlad fan. And the other fights I saw of Joshua before he went on DAZN (I'm never going to subscribe to that) he looked capable.

I remember seeing the Wilder v Brazele fight and heard someone say Joshua didn't want Wilder to knock Brazele out faster than he did. And Wilder goes and obliterates Brazeale. When I first read Ruiz won, I thought maybe Joshua just shot his load too early for the ko and got caught. I saw some highlights and my cousin told me what he saw. And now the consensus is Joshua was never really that good. We'll see in the rematch how Joshua comes back. I thought of other excuses like he didn't travel well, first time in the US and all, but they gave him a sacrificial lamb... make that buffalo, basically a televised sparring match.

My 2cents on why the heavyweight division "is back" is because Klitschko brothers retired and it's wide open now. I think the time after Bowe/Holyfield/Lewis most heavyweights don't try to box or setup punches. I can't pin down where I got this theory, probably from so many other people in various media, but heavyweights after Lewis/Holyfield/Bowe, the entire gameplan is to land one devastating punch and call it a night. I know knockouts sell, but 12 rounds of 3 punches total between the two land and then when you go to the fridge for a beer a punch lands ending the night is anticlimatic. Maybe the Klitchkos were onto something.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

CageyVeteran wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:57 am Hey everybody, long time no type.

I actually thought Joshua would've beaten Wilder. Now, not so much.

I know Vlad was old and he got outboxed by Fury, but what Joshua did to Vlad had me buy into the hype. I know that has to do with my not being a Vlad fan. And the other fights I saw of Joshua before he went on DAZN (I'm never going to subscribe to that) he looked capable.

I remember seeing the Wilder v Brazele fight and heard someone say Joshua didn't want Wilder to knock Brazele out faster than he did. And Wilder goes and obliterates Brazeale. When I first read Ruiz won, I thought maybe Joshua just shot his load too early for the ko and got caught. I saw some highlights and my cousin told me what he saw. And now the consensus is Joshua was never really that good. We'll see in the rematch how Joshua comes back. I thought of other excuses like he didn't travel well, first time in the US and all, but they gave him a sacrificial lamb... make that buffalo, basically a televised sparring match.

My 2cents on why the heavyweight division "is back" is because Klitschko brothers retired and it's wide open now. I think the time after Bowe/Holyfield/Lewis most heavyweights don't try to box or setup punches. I can't pin down where I got this theory, probably from so many other people in various media, but heavyweights after Lewis/Holyfield/Bowe, the entire gameplan is to land one devastating punch and call it a night. I know knockouts sell, but 12 rounds of 3 punches total between the two land and then when you go to the fridge for a beer a punch lands ending the night is anticlimatic. Maybe the Klitchkos were onto something.
Don't worry bro, Wilder isn't that good either. An 8th grade substitute teacher nearly did the same thing to Wiler.

Imagine what a nightmare like Tyson would do to any of these guys?

Fury is a dopehead psycho but probably the best of them. This is literally the HW division without Wlad
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

yoloswaggy911 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:05 am

Don't worry bro, Wilder isn't that good either. An 8th grade substitute teacher nearly did the same thing to Wiler.

Imagine what a nightmare like Tyson would do to any of these guys?

Fury is a dopehead psycho but probably the best of them. This is literally the HW division without Wlad
I still haven't seen the Fury v Wilder fight. I always thought Wilder looked "wild" when he fought. Still haven't seen the fight and heard from my cousin Wilder looked like garbage. That's why I thought Joshua would beat Wilder.

I saw What's My Name: Muhammad Ali Story, and hear Ali say right after he retired that all the heavyweights he's seen weren't that good all power,oone had a jab. Outside of Bowe/Holyfield/Lewis/Klitchkos, what heavyweight has a jab? Not Joshua. Tyson Fury? I'm slightly depressed at that.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”