The Movie Thread

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
the13r
TTR

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by the13r »

straycat wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:43 pm Remember the Col didn't show up to save Rambo from the Sheriff Astor it was the other way around. 😎
yeah lol and i get the prespective, i should just watch and enjoy how badass Rambo is in the movie, that's what i'm doing now! Brain off and enjoying the action and aura being created

hey i've wrapped a piece of cloth around my forehead and held machine guns made out of construx when i was young thinking i was the guy lol
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Ya Rambo is a pretty cool flick, Sly really took off after that. Ya ever see the flick Briget Nielson landed with him after Rocky IV called Cobra? Pretty brain dead dialogue as far as script but some typical Sly Bad Ass scenes.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

You talking about other Sly movies and i just recalled my dad showing us the one he is in prison and the warden is on his case all the time... that was good... might rewatch that one
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Shit the first convo between the Curnel and Rambo is a GREAT scene that highlights my initial point about this being a flag movie for post trauma war veterans... kind of ahead of its time in that area

That scene is prob what gives the movie it's golden aura... spectacular performance there by Stallone... his career best imo. WOW great scene

Curnel performance corny... but Sly did very well... i am sure that touched many vets... most people just saw a guy who is invicible in his neanderthal survival skills... but there was a strong message here.

Good conclusion... movie elevated itself a lot at the end (kind of rare for movies imo) with that closing scene... elevated itself from a shut your brain off before watching to a true acting performance. starting the next one... too curious

Glad it didn't end as Rambo was apoligized from going terrorist because he didn't like the acting justice system...
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

possible presidential pardon being thrown at him 2 minutes into Rambo II lol... Here we go!
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

sorry to start a topic and hop off for a bit. But good discussion on Rambo!!! I agree with your takes Astor regarding the PTSD bit. Sometimes, the VN are dealing with PTSD and they don't even realize it. And even if they do, they think they can 'handle' it. I remember watching First Blood as a kid and really enjoyed it. That and Rocky 1 I remember really enjoying as a kid.

The follow up Rambo movies were so so at best.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

the13r wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:29 am possible presidential pardon being thrown at him 2 minutes into Rambo II lol... Here we go!
definitely shut off your brain and your movie taste buds for 2, 3 and 4
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I will and i can... i can enjoy a good old action flick... just got to go back to the pre teen perspective lol... man was i getting sucked into those when i was young. was a big Arnold fan after my dad dropped Terminator II on me when i was probably a little too young... enoyed all his classics after that... from Total recall, predator, running man, commando...
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

The Rambo from 10 years ago was pretty cool, when he was in Myanmar. I am looking forward to the new one.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

same here. first exposure to Arnold as a kid for me was terminator 2. then watched the terminator, total recall, commando, true lies later on. Even watched the conan movies and red sonya!!! lol.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

watched them all (arnold's) even the shitty ones...

Rambo II quote

"What you chose to call hell he calls home"

The knife ain't a worked blade anymore... it's now a shiny stainless steel manifactured piece... lol

I wanted a knife like this so badly when i was young... the one with a compass at the bottom, and you could unscrew to get matches in... lol wow.
straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Bout the only Arnold movie I would watch again is True Lies only cuz Jamie, watched Escape Plan only because I was caught off guard when he showed up but by that time was pretty far into it.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Yeah true lies which is based on a action/comedy france film la totale is a solid one
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

actually enjoying Rambo II brain off.. it has all the stereotypes needed to make a successfull usa perspective action flick... been fed those when i was young and enjoyed them.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

I think Rambo II reinforced my love for Asian chicks
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

Watching Conan the Barbarian right now. Underrated movie. Much better than the subsequent Conan the Destroyer, although that one's entertaining enough in a ridiculous way.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

I'm glad that at least with 4 Rambo that there wasn't a stinker in the franchise like there was with Rocky 5.
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

the13r wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 pm Film should be celebrated as highlighting the mountain that have to be overcomed for people with war caused post traumatic disorders and how they can be mistaken for drifter with mental health... thing is this is a movie and Rambo ends up looking like this romantic warrior who can survive in all conditions... but in real life these former army veterans with post traumatic syndrome don't react that way and have serious problems... some generations have been broken leading to families being broken too and future generations still dealing with the collateral effects of bad politics.

Still the start of the movie highlights how these persons with mental illnesses caused by War trauma can quickly feel like outsiders and lack social skills to interact and adapt.

Acting wasn't bad i agree... but now i need to enjoy the action as he just got to the mountains which is where i need to shut my brain off.
Astor........back after Vietnam around the time of First Blood, they really didn’t have an understanding of PTSD. The Hollywood take was such a bad take. Those guys really needed help, and received none, except for being treated like shit and spit on during their return.

The Deer Hunter was a much better understanding of what Soldiers were dealing with after Vietnam.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

The Deer Hunter was so good. Such a great cast. DeNiro, Walken, STreep, John Savage etc.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

USMILMAN wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:29 pm
the13r wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 pm Film should be celebrated as highlighting the mountain that have to be overcomed for people with war caused post traumatic disorders and how they can be mistaken for drifter with mental health... thing is this is a movie and Rambo ends up looking like this romantic warrior who can survive in all conditions... but in real life these former army veterans with post traumatic syndrome don't react that way and have serious problems... some generations have been broken leading to families being broken too and future generations still dealing with the collateral effects of bad politics.

Still the start of the movie highlights how these persons with mental illnesses caused by War trauma can quickly feel like outsiders and lack social skills to interact and adapt.

Acting wasn't bad i agree... but now i need to enjoy the action as he just got to the mountains which is where i need to shut my brain off.
Astor........back after Vietnam around the time of First Blood, they really didn’t have an understanding of PTSD. The Hollywood take was such a bad take. Those guys really needed help, and received none, except for being treated like shit and spit on during their return.

The Deer Hunter was a much better understanding of what Soldiers were dealing with after Vietnam.
Yeah that is the feeling i got from watching both movies... Deer Hunter is a classic, watched it at least 5 times and bought the CD soundtrack... Some all tiem great sequences and scenes in there... i like how they slowly build the movie old school too... great post

Deer Hunter makes my Top20
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Danielk015 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:44 pm The Deer Hunter was so good. Such a great cast. DeNiro, Walken, STreep, John Savage etc.
yeah insane
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

It's like the USA army caught on what Rambo could do for them, inspiring generations to sign in... and funded the 2nd film which ended up all patriotic and made Rambo a killing machine and an undebeatable one... risk doesn't exist as he is invincible and would still fight for his country although they shoved a few fists in his urgh hum...

the perfect soldier robot...
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

Groundhog Day always gets me to watch. The angst he feels living the same day. When I first saw the movie I was working a job I hated and it felt like it was the same day over and over.

Since Sly is Revitalizing his old movies in Rocky and Rambo. I'm wondering if there'll be some kid or grandkid of one of his Vietnam buddies to do a reboot of Rambo like he did in Creed. Or how about Demolition Man where his son becomes a cop?

Kung Fu Hustle is another movie I could watch whenever it comes on. I think the special effects really made the humor pop.

I have Turner Classic Movies and have only seen maybe 2 movies, can't remember the first one, but I recently saw Dr. Strangelove or How I Stopped Worrying and Started Loving the Bomb, or however the long title is. I can't believe how the comedy held up after all this time. I think the whole fear of B52s in the air 24 hours a day was something everybody was afraid of "Operation Chromedome" and this movie probably made people laugh that needed it.

Glory was a good movie. Denzel crying when he was getting whipped was a staple of humor in my house, always trying to emulate him especially making fun of my brothers when they were going to get a whipping. Think that was Matthew Broderick's last good role.

Highlander I was young when that came out and my older brothers would always duel. The TV shows were interesting.

I picked some from left field since a lot of people already named some of my favorites already.

My recent favorite is The Predator, it's funny as fuck. "Dude said the day he was born from his mother's womb, he started a low crawl to death." I'm paraphrasing
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

CageyVeteran wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:23 am Groundhog Day always gets me to watch. The angst he feels living the same day. When I first saw the movie I was working a job I hated and it felt like it was the same day over and over.

Since Sly is Revitalizing his old movies in Rocky and Rambo. I'm wondering if there'll be some kid or grandkid of one of his Vietnam buddies to do a reboot of Rambo like he did in Creed. Or how about Demolition Man where his son becomes a cop?

Kung Fu Hustle is another movie I could watch whenever it comes on. I think the special effects really made the humor pop.

I have Turner Classic Movies and have only seen maybe 2 movies, can't remember the first one, but I recently saw Dr. Strangelove or How I Stopped Worrying and Started Loving the Bomb, or however the long title is. I can't believe how the comedy held up after all this time. I think the whole fear of B52s in the air 24 hours a day was something everybody was afraid of "Operation Chromedome" and this movie probably made people laugh that needed it.

Glory was a good movie. Denzel crying when he was getting whipped was a staple of humor in my house, always trying to emulate him especially making fun of my brothers when they were going to get a whipping. Think that was Matthew Broderick's last good role.

Highlander I was young when that came out and my older brothers would always duel. The TV shows were interesting.

I picked some from left field since a lot of people already named some of my favorites already.

My recent favorite is The Predator, it's funny as fuck. "Dude said the day he was born from his mother's womb, he started a low crawl to death." I'm paraphrasing
Corny as hell but i enjoyed the Highlander TV serie
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

the13r wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:25 am Corny as hell but i enjoyed the Highlander TV serie
I know right.... Whenever the other immortal pulled out their sword and it'd be a Scottish Claymore and EVERYBODY would be like "where the hell was he hiding that shit?!!??!" My dad would say "He's 482 years old, you'd think he'd learn a trick or two, like a magician"
The movie sequels of Highlander absolutely sucked.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”