Best performance of 2018

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Tocsin

Best performance of 2018

Post by Tocsin »

Not necessarily the fight of the year (fun fights often involve very flawed performances) or fighter of the year. What were the most impressive showings in 2018?
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Re: Best performance of 2018

Post by lurkyshaka »

From all angles it has to be Fury.....the weight loss, the comeback, the performance, then to rise from the dead in the last to continue the performance. What Fury did was pretty special.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Usyk shutting out gassiev

Callum smith beating groves
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Usyk over Gassiev was the first that came to mind......Fury is also a good mention
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Fury is a stretch. He outboxed a shitty boxer and got dropped twice.

And i was one of the few thay predicted fury would outbox wilder and said i would eat crow if he lost so its not like its a hindsight is 20/20 issue
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Alvarez knocking Kovalev's block off....
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Fury is a stretch. He outboxed a shitty boxer and got dropped twice.

And i was one of the few thay predicted fury would outbox wilder and said i would eat crow if he lost so its not like its a hindsight is 20/20 issue
I agree that Wilder is a shitty boxer, Like you it came as no surprise to me to see Fury outbox him when the fight actually happened.

But that said Fury was still the underdog and coming back from what he has is out of the ordinary. Just the weight loss and return to health is impressive on its own. But to return to glory at the top of the heavyweight division when many doubted he'd ever even return in the first place has to be commended. It's not just a boxing story, its a human story and he's given a lot of people inspiration both inside and outside of the sport.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Usyk outboxing Gassiev

Jarrett Hurd deserves props for breaking down Erislandy Lara in such a way that nobody ever had previously
ceelowsback

Post by ceelowsback »

Fury nothing more!!
TEAM PLATANO POWER - CARIBBEAN CONNECTION
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Since when is a draw the best performance of a year? I honestly find it ludicrous that people are even suggesting it.

If he'd won I'd give it to you. He didn't.
kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

Inoue taking out Payano with 2 punches was pretty impressive too.
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Fury.

I gave that fat, druggie little/no chance. Almost all of us did.

I did think he could win if he was 70% because Wilder is that bad, but I just couldn't see him being close to that.

He won the fight and was robbed. Massive performance seeing where he came from.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

gilgamesh wrote:Usyk outboxing Gassiev

Jarrett Hurd deserves props for breaking down Erislandy Lara in such a way that nobody ever had previously
Good choices
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

I thought Canelos rematch win over GGG, I was expecting GGG to beat him and Canelo came out and took it right too him.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Bulldog wrote:I thought Canelos rematch win over GGG, I was expecting GGG to beat him and Canelo came out and took it right too him.
It was a great fight. Canelo didn't deserve the decision though. If the decision would've been just it would've actually raised the profile of Canelo in spite of him losing, but him getting a decision he didn't deserve left a bad taste in my mouth, and sullied the entire fight.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:Alvarez knocking Kovalev's block off....

This.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

J.J.Dillon wrote:
Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:Alvarez knocking Kovalev's block off....

This.
Forgot about that one. Was certainly my favorite
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

gilgamesh wrote:
Bulldog wrote:I thought Canelos rematch win over GGG, I was expecting GGG to beat him and Canelo came out and took it right too him.
It was a great fight. Canelo didn't deserve the decision though. If the decision would've been just it would've actually raised the profile of Canelo in spite of him losing, but him getting a decision he didn't deserve left a bad taste in my mouth, and sullied the entire fight.
I edged it to Canelo by a whisker but can see where youre coming from. Great fight all the same.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

gilgamesh wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:18 pm Usyk outboxing Gassiev

Right here
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

gilgamesh wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:23 pm Since when is a draw the best performance of a year? I honestly find it ludicrous that people are even suggesting it.

Obviously not many actually believe it was a draw though. And along the same sort of lines I'm pretty sure that Sweet Pea won the Ring's fighter of the year award after his 'draw' with Chavez. But Fury's story is clearly about more than just one fight, the fight was just culmination of a great comeback. More than boxing its a human comeback story.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

lurkyshaka wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:05 pm
gilgamesh wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:23 pm Since when is a draw the best performance of a year? I honestly find it ludicrous that people are even suggesting it.

Obviously not many actually believe it was a draw though. And along the same sort of lines I'm pretty sure that Sweet Pea won the Ring's fighter of the year award after his 'draw' with Chavez. But Fury's story is clearly about more than just one fight, the fight was just culmination of a great comeback. More than boxing its a human comeback story.
Whitaker's draw with Chavez was infinitely more ludicrous than the Fury-Wilder draw. Even if you think Fury won he didn't win by more than 2 points. Whitaker on the other hand won 10 rounds to 2 at worst, and never touched the canvas.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

gilgamesh wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:37 pm
lurkyshaka wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Whitaker's draw with Chavez was infinitely more ludicrous than the Fury-Wilder draw. Even if you think Fury won he didn't win by more than 2 points. Whitaker on the other hand won 10 rounds to 2 at worst, and never touched the canvas.
Fury/Wilder wasn't as controversial as Pea/Chavez, but the majority of observers still feel that Fury should be the WBC champion.
Just ask Teddy .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wEChww9D7Q

Fury came back from a 140Ib weight loss, drug/alcohol abuse and mental health issues. And that he rose from the dead in the last only added to his performance. Again what he did transcended boxing. A real life Rocky story. He's inspired a lot of people with what he was able to comeback and do against Wilder both in and out of the sport.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Canelo beating fielding.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Canelo beating golovkin
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”