Wilder vs Fury replay tonight on Showtime

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Wilder vs Fury replay tonight on Showtime

Post by Primetyme199 »

Wilder vs Fury replay tonight on Showtime At 9 pm ET. I’ll tape it and watch it tomorrow for the rounds I missed.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: Wilder vs Fury replay tonight on Showtime

Post by gilgamesh »

I'll give a detailed breakdown of the fight in this thread. As detailed as possible.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

THE LAST WORD ON FURY-WILDER

Round 1

The 2 fighters come out to center ring. About 6 seconds or so in Wilder lands a jab to Fury's body. More jabs attempted from both fighters, but nothing else lands in the first 30 seconds from either fighter. Right hand to the body lands for Wilder at about 34 seconds into the round, he attempts a wild, flailing attack on Fury, all of which falls short, and Fury tangles him up. Fury throws a quick jab to the head about 57 seconds into the round, I can't quite tell if he connected or came up just shy, but it might've grazed Deontay. Nothing else lands from either fighter in the 1st minute. Fury throws his hands behind his back, and taunts Wilder. He throws a jab from the corner with his right hand extended, and on the top rope. It doesn't land. Wilder steps in to engage, but lands nothing Fury lands a right hand to the body in a clinch. Wilder grazes him with a left to the head also in the clinch. Neither punch had a lot on it as you can't get much momentum behind a shot in a clinch obviously. A jab misses from Fury, he throws about 3 more. 1 definitely connects cleanly, 1 of the other 2 might've landed as well not sure, but Wilder backs up. Hands behind Fury's back again. More air jabs from both fighters. A looping right hand attempted from Wilder, but doesn't land. They clinch as they often do when Wilder flails away on the attack. Fury lands a little uppercut as he moves out of the clinch, and a right hand as he has Wilder cornered. He goes on the attack briefly, landing another little left hook to Wilder's body, Wilder sweeps across with a left hook to the head which connects. Another jab from Fury misses, Another left hook attempt from Wilder misses. A couple more jabs get through from Fury as he's moving around. Big sweeping right hand attempt from Wilder misses, Fury counters with a left hook, and right hand which land. He lands a few more jabs as the round comes to an end.

Close round with not a lot going on, but I'd have to edge it to Fury ever so slightly who picked his shots better.

1-0 Fury

Round 2

Nothing in the first 30 seconds here save for some air jabs from Wilder. More jabs from both fighters over the next 30 seconds. The majority of which fall short, but one Fury jab lands. 1-2 combo attempted from Wilder, blocked. 1-2 attempted from Fury blocked. Fury throws his hands in the air, then gets on his bicycle. Lands a few light jabs to Wilder on the move. Right hand to the body from Fury lands slightly. Not full on, but kinda the side of the glove landed. Some more jabs from Fury. A few connect. Another 1-2 attempted from Wilder, doesn't land. More movement from Fury, a few more flailing attacks from Wilder, most of which fall short. He lands a grazing right hand on Fury toward the end of the round.

Not a lot to go on that round. You got a few light connects from Fury, and a grazing right from Wilder. I'd probably have to edge it to Fury who at least had more connects that I saw since nobody's shots were particularly forceful here.

2-0 Fury
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 3

Jab to the body connects for Fury in the first 10 seconds. Mostly posturing from both fighters for the remaining 30 seconds with a few jabs falling short for both. Jab gets through on Wilder throwing him off a step, he connects with a stiff jab to Fury's nose. Sweeping left hook misses for Wilder. A few more light jabs from Fury while he's on the move attempted, maybe 1 gets through. A solid left hook to the body connects for Wilder, his best shot so far. Fury does some taunting, and moving. Nothing connects from either fighter during this 30 second stretch. He throws a right hand coming out of the clinch that comes just short on Wilder. Another 1-2 from Fury, and the right hand seems to connect. Hands behind back for Fury again. He throws a few more light jabs, some of which graze Wilder, most fall short. A few jabs kinda half ass connect for Wilder, one as Fury is coming in close, but dipping downward, and one as he's stepping out, but leaning away so the impact is minimized on both. They both attempt an overhand right at the bell, and miss.

I'd have to give Wilder the edge in that one. The connects were about equal, but the left hook to the body from Wilder was the cleanest shot of the round.

2-1 Fury

Round 4

Light jab to the body lands for Wilder. Air jabs to follow from both fighters for the remainder of the first 30 seconds. Light jab connects to Wilder, Wilder answers back with a jab that connects. 2 big 1-2 attempts from Wilder both of which sail over Fury's head. He follows with a left hook after the 2nd 1-2 attempt, which also falls short. Grazing right hand to the body lands for Wilder, similar to the one Fury had landed in Round 2 where the side of the glove hits, but it's not a full impact blow. Right hand grazes the side of Deontay's head, Wilder attempts another 1-2 and falls short. A few quick jabs connect for Fury. Another flailing 1-2 that falls short for Wilder. He throws a left hook as Fury is stepping out which grazes him. A 2nd big right hand falls short for Wilder, grazes Fury with another left as he's stepping out. Fury lands a right to the body. A few more shots attempted from both fighters, nothing gets through.

Another round with minimal activity. I'd have to give Wilder the slight nod there. Nobody really controlling these early rounds, and you're splitting hairs trying to find something that stands out.

2-2 even
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 5

A few jabs connect for Fury in the first 30 seconds here. Left hook/right hand attempted from Wilder, doesn't land. Quick left hook from Fury lands as he steps around. Grazing left hook connects from Wilder during one of his flailing assaults. Nothing lands from either guy for the next few seconds. Wilder lands with a jab as Fury bobs to his right. Lots of near lands in the next few exchanges with a few punches maybe grazing the opponent from both men, but nothing landing clean from anybody. Fury kinda throws a right and a left that gets slightly behind the guard of Wilder's gloves, and connects with the sides of his head. Jab connects for Fury.

Edge to Fury that round.

3-2 Fury

Round 6

Very little connects through the first minute here. Maybe a jab or two from Fury gets through, but not particularly clean. Jab connects for Wilder, Fury turns southpaw, and jabs a few times with the right, and throws some sweeping lefts which back Wilder up even though they don't land especially clean. Some flailing attempts at offense from Wilder which fall short. Fury lands a shot to the stomach on Wilder as he's coming in at one point. A few jabs from Wilder toward the end of the round.

Not a lot getting through that round, but Wilder landed almost nothing except for the jabs right at the end. Not enough to give him the round.

4-2 Fury
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 7

First 40 seconds little lands, but Fury lands a right hand as he's stepping around Wilder at one point. Another right connects for Fury shortly after. A few jabs to the body from Wilder. Some more jabs attempted from both which don't connect, Fury lands another right hand on Wilder, and an even better one after that. Best shot of the fight thus far for either man. 4 clean right hands have gotten through for Fury about 92 seconds into the round. Wilder responds by going on the attack, but misses with everything. Another right to the head grazes Wilder, not as clean as the others had been for Fury, but it's another connect. Both jab, Wilder's lands, Fury's doesn't. Last exchange of the round both throw a jab and land simultaneously. Wilder attempts a big right hand, and left hook and misses.

Most clear cut round of the fight up to this point, and it's a Fury round.

5-2 Fury

Round 8

Posturing to start Round 8, Fury lands a jab. Jab, jab, right attempted from Wilder which misses. Jab attempted from Fury which lands. Nothing landing from either for most of the next minute, but Fury connects with a right to the body at about the 90 second mark. Fury puts his right hand in the air, shakes it, and twirls it taunting Wilder, but keeps on the move. Wilder does nothing. Another right attempted by Wilder sails over Fury's head, a few more jabs from Fury connect, and back up Wilder. Some jabs, and a right hand which fall just short for Fury, followed by a jab, and another right hand which doesn't fall short. Left hook to the body connects for Wilder, he throws another assault of heavy blows most of which don't connect, though he does graze Fury with one of his rights near the end of the round to which Fury makes a "Bring it on" gesture.

Another Fury round.

6-2 Fury (78-74)
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 9

Some jabs from Fury in the early going here, as he keeps moving. Little else. A few right hands thrown from Wilder which graze Fury. Shortly after the grazing right hands, is when he opens up, and connects a few more times on Fury, and drops him. Wilder opens up, and gets more aggressive when Fury gets up. Fury lands a counter left hook as Wilder is on the attack. Wilder attacking much more aggressively here, landing a few grazing shots, but not landing clean with much. Fury attacks back with jabs, and right hands of his own which make Wilder a little more hesitant, but he's not landing either. A hail mary right hand from Wilder attempted misses, he throws a straighter one which lands on Fury. Fury ties him up. Jab to the body from Fury, he throws his hands in the air, and taunts Wilder to come on. Wags his tongue at Wilder. Fury tries to answer back toward the end of the round, but doesn't land anything of note, neither does Wilder, and the round comes to an end.

10-8 round for Wilder. Obviously his best round of the fight up to this point.

6-3 Fury (86-84)

Round 10

Fury more aggressive in the early going of the 10th trying to make up for the knockdown. Lands some jabs, and a 1-2 on Wilder. Wilder is coming up with short with virtually all of his offense here, Fury is connecting with jabs, and a few grazing power shots. Right hand, followed by a left uppercut from Fury. The right was blocked, the left uppercut wasn't. Wilder loading up with a right hand again which sails over Fury's head, he follows with a left hook which lands. 1-2 from Fury where the right hand lands flush. Wilder attempts a big attack toward the end of the round, misses with everything. Fury taunts him at the bell.

Good comeback round for Fury after the knockdown.

7-3 Fury (96-93)
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 11

Mostly posturing in the first 30 seconds here. A jab gets through to the body for Wilder, and a jab up top for Fury. More jabs from Wilder which miss, a jab from Fury connects. Some more flailing attempts at offense from Wilder which fall short, some jabs connect for Fury upstairs. Left hook to the body lands for Wilder, he tries to follow with a left hook to the head which misses. 1-2 from Fury, the jab lands, and he lands another jab after. Wilder has a few more awkward attempts at offense before the round ends, but Fury's defense is continuing to befuddle him.

8-3 Fury (106-102)

Round 12

Air jabs from both in the first 30 seconds. Right hand lands from Fury, Wilder follows with his right hand, and left hook which dropped Fury hard for the "Undertaker" moment we all remember most vividly from this fight. Wilder goes on the attack when Fury stands up. Another big left hook lands on Fury, but he takes it. Wilder continuing to attack with abandon, he grazes Fury with a few more right hands. Fury throws his hands behind his back to taunt him amazingly given the tension of this moment in the fight. Fury answers back with a big right hand, and left hook of his own after Wilder misses with a few more big shot attempts. Wilder clinches, another little left hook gets through for Fury, and Wilder holds on some more. Jab connects for Fury, right hand connects for Fury. Fury throws a little shoe-shine combo which he brings upstairs, nothing really lands, but he's on the attack. Another right hand connects for Wilder with about 5 seconds left, the bell rings, and Fury throws his hands in the air.

10-8 round for Wilder, and the most memorable moment of the fight there for sure.

114-112 Fury is my final score
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Hope you guys enjoyed this. It's as detailed a review as I could possibly give. I paused the fight every 30 or 40 seconds to take note of the happenings, and even rewound it several times to make sure I didn't miss anything in some of the exchanges where it was harder to decipher what did and didn't land.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

I thought the Final Word on the fight was Jimmy Lennon saying "we have a split draw".
Based

Post by Based »

I had it 114-112 myself for Fury. No doubt Fury outboxed Wilder, no doubt. But FURY was down for 10 secs in the 12th. I know the ref had him at 8 because obviously refs can't count 10 official seconds like a stop watch, but he was technically KOed. IMO they both won that fight some way lol
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

No technically the refs count is followed. A smart fighter wanting to maximize recovery would use all the time he's given by the ref even if he could've gotten up before.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

J.J.Dillon wrote:I thought the Final Word on the fight was Jimmy Lennon saying "we have a split draw".
Officially, yes. But they's always a 2nd opinion with Boxing decisions you know that :mrgreen:
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Never bother too much with rewatching fights to second guess my first impression. I felt 8-4 was about right. Everything played out pretty much as this thing was scripted, except for Fury getting up after a two piece that would of ended it against any other mortal man. That in itself was the only surprise of the evening.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

Props for revising your view upon second viewing Gil, I know you don't like Fury but fair play for watching it again and giving credit where it was due. It wasn't a particularly good fight, but it was interesting and punctuated with dramatic moments and the way Fury got up in the 12th and battled straight back was fairly heroic all things considered.

I think a rematch would be better and I'd expect Fury to be sharper, Wilder would try to revise his gameplan but I don't think he has the ability and I don't think he can learn much now. That said he'll always have a legit punchers chance.

The big question for me is which direction the heavyweight takes......not sure if Wilder will want to go in with Fury again next or whether he'll look to the massive money on offer for the Joshua fight. Either/or makes sense.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

gilgamesh wrote:Hope you guys enjoyed this. It's as detailed a review as I could possibly give. I paused the fight every 30 or 40 seconds to take note of the happenings, and even rewound it several times to make sure I didn't miss anything in some of the exchanges where it was harder to decipher what did and didn't land.
good breakdown... i gave wilder the first... given how ugly that round was without much happening its not hard to see either guy getting the nod for different reasons. your card plus the first for wilder gives you the draw. its not as far fetched as people wanted to make it out to be
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Based wrote:I had it 114-112 myself for Fury. No doubt Fury outboxed Wilder, no doubt. But FURY was down for 10 secs in the 12th. I know the ref had him at 8 because obviously refs can't count 10 official seconds like a stop watch, but he was technically KOed. IMO they both won that fight some way lol
100%
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Presteezh
President Of Zab Nation

Post by Presteezh »

114-112 was my official score as well for Fury but I also gave Wilder the 1st like top and the 3rd I recall... not the 4th. I still say with KDs a draw was not a bad result. Those first 4 rounds are hard to judge and depending on how you felt is what the score ends up being. Score wise i feel its either a Fury win or a draw never a wilder win on points. I don't know if count was slow or not, and I do question not waving off per norm but I do think ref did the right thing, I'm just not use to seeing it done so well.

Excited for a rematch, with a better in shape Fury and heavier Wilder.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Presteezh wrote:114-112 was my official score as well for Fury but I also gave Wilder the 1st like top and the 3rd I recall... not the 4th. I still say with KDs a draw was not a bad result. Those first 4 rounds are hard to judge and depending on how you felt is what the score ends up being. Score wise i feel its either a Fury win or a draw never a wilder win on points. I don't know if count was slow or not, and I do question not waving off per norm but I do think ref did the right thing, I'm just not use to seeing it done so well.

same. i think fury will be favored this time. if he adjusts and just ups his output a little he can coast as long as he stays on his feet. wilder needs to do a better job of setting up his big shots and not just going for the 1 punch KO all night.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

TopNotch86 wrote:
Presteezh wrote:114-112 was my official score as well for Fury but I also gave Wilder the 1st like top and the 3rd I recall... not the 4th. I still say with KDs a draw was not a bad result. Those first 4 rounds are hard to judge and depending on how you felt is what the score ends up being. Score wise i feel its either a Fury win or a draw never a wilder win on points. I don't know if count was slow or not, and I do question not waving off per norm but I do think ref did the right thing, I'm just not use to seeing it done so well.

same. i think fury will be favored this time. if he adjusts and just ups his output a little he can coast as long as he stays on his feet. wilder needs to do a better job of setting up his big shots and not just going for the 1 punch KO all night.

IMO he should be favored in a rematch.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

TopNotch86 wrote:
Based wrote:I had it 114-112 myself for Fury. No doubt Fury outboxed Wilder, no doubt. But FURY was down for 10 secs in the 12th. I know the ref had him at 8 because obviously refs can't count 10 official seconds like a stop watch, but he was technically KOed. IMO they both won that fight some way lol
100%
That is incorrect....Look at Warren's IG account. There is a video of the KD being timed on a stop watch and he was up inside 10 seconds. That is a fact.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

I actually favor Wilder in the rematch.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Props for revising your view upon second viewing Gil, I know you don't like Fury but fair play for watching it again and giving credit where it was due. It wasn't a particularly good fight, but it was interesting and punctuated with dramatic moments and the way Fury got up in the 12th and battled straight back was fairly heroic all things considered.

I think a rematch would be better and I'd expect Fury to be sharper, Wilder would try to revise his gameplan but I don't think he has the ability and I don't think he can learn much now. That said he'll always have a legit punchers chance.

The big question for me is which direction the heavyweight takes......not sure if Wilder will want to go in with Fury again next or whether he'll look to the massive money on offer for the Joshua fight. Either/or makes sense.
By all indications, it's seems like Fury and Wilder will be getting it on again. And in the rematch, both guys will be getting a lot more money than they did the first time. The first fight may not have been great overall, but it had some great drama, and definitely created a huge buzz, and people do want to see a rematch. The fight overall was a win for both Fury and Wilder.

AJ/Hearn would have to offer a HUGE amount of money to pry Wilder away from a Fury rematch. I still don't get why AJ/Hearn played such hardball with Wilder? Just pay the guy more than you paid AJ's other opponents, and the fight would have been made. Now it looks like AJ will be on the outside looking in, once again. But if AJ does find himself looking in again on another big HW fight that doesn't involve him, then he should at least get Ortiz in the ring.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Rematch is a toss up in my opinion

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”