Larry Merchant to return for HBO’s boxing farewell

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Larry Merchant to return for HBO’s boxing farewell

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/12/6/1 ... g-farewell

With HBO saying goodbye to the boxing world on Saturday night in Carson, Calif., fans will get a farewell from one of the most familiar faces on boxing TV for the last four decades, as Larry Merchant will return to the airwaves.

Merchant, it’s reported by ESPN, will talk to longtime broadcast partner Jim Lampley between one of the three fights.

“Nothing cosmic, but I’m pleased to be invited to hang with the old gang, and fans, one last time.”

Merchant, now 87, was a key figure on HBO boxing broadcasts from 1978 until his retirement in 2012. He was poetic at times, blunt at others, and never afraid to ask tough questions. Perhaps the most memorable moment of his long run came near the end of it, in 2011, when he was questioning Floyd Mayweather after Mayweather’s controversial knockout of Victor Ortiz on HBO pay-per-view.

With a combative Mayweather giving Merchant guff, Merchant replied, “I wish I was 50 years younger, and I’d kick your ass!”

But that was just one of many colorful Merchant moments over the years. He wasn’t afraid to criticize a fighter to their face, which won him fans and “haters” alike over many years.

Personally, I think it’ll be nice to see him back one last time on HBO. If we’re going out, let’s see the whole gang.

By Scott Christ
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Bertel1

Re: Larry Merchant to return for HBO’s boxing farewell

Post by Bertel1 »

Cool. I will miss HBO Boxing :(
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

It's fitting that Larry comes back for the finale. I know he is a massively polarizing figure among fans, even more so than Howard Cosell, but he was a fixture with HBO boxing for decades.

I loved HBO boxing. No broadcast team and production ever exceeded them, in my view. There are other great teams. For example anything with Al Bernstein is great as he is one of the best boxing minds ever. But nothing had the whole package like HBO.

I do hope that HBO boxing comes back. They probably will, at least for occasional shows. And hey, it seems like theey reboot every old show nowadays! :D
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

I will miss the great voice of Liev Schreiber, especially on the early 24/7 shows. Was great
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Glad he'll be back for the finally. HBO Boxing has been a fixture in my life since I was 12 years old. The first fight I remember watching was Camacho vs Ramirez and then Holmes vs Spinks I. Since 1988 I haven't missed too many telecast. The production was always top notch, the profile of the fighters was second to none. My favorite one remains Chavez vs Taylor, which also ranks as the most dramatic fight I have ever seen and that's saying considering I watched Castillo vs Corrales.

I just switched cable service and I have HBO and Showtime for a 3 month trial. So I'll get to catch the final broadcast.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Get Big George's ass in there too.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:Get Big George's ass in there too.
SRL too.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Danielk015 wrote:I will miss the great voice of Liev Schreiber, especially on the early 24/7 shows. Was great

I did not know that it was Liev Schreiber. I thought it was someone who was trying to sound like the great Will Lyman.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

... and whether or not HBO Boxing returns one day, I hope we see the on-air personalities showing up on other boxing telecasts. I'm certain we will.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Do we have Vegas odds on what round Merchant will be drunk by?
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

J.J.Dillon wrote:Do we have Vegas odds on what round Merchant will be drunk by?
The over under will be if he's still drunk from the night before when he wakes up.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

I'm glad to see they brought him back for this.

mekane
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

Post by mekane »

might watch just for Larry

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”