Reports that Wilder-Fury did around 300k buys

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Tocsin

Reports that Wilder-Fury did around 300k buys

Post by Tocsin »

Thoughts? Some Ive seen say around 300k, others specify over 300k , but does seem we will be looking at a number in the 300s.

Seems pretty solid, though shows the HWs still have work to do to become the big stars in the US like they once were. Break even point (after which the fighters had upside on their $4m and $3m guarantees) was apparently 250k, so they should both make over $5m I'd think.
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Re: Reports that Wilder-Fury did around 300k buys

Post by Mayz »

Ummm, that's pretty poor I'd say.

All the money they spent on promotion, the TV series, the tour...

That type of promotion should be doing huge numbers...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Thats an outstanding number if thats the case. Mayz you dont know what you are taliing about here
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

If 300K is true, I think its decent given the circumstances. Wilder doesnt have a following, and Fury was probably relatively unknown in the United States. Matter of fact Wllder's name isnt well known either apparently.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

yeah, this is better than i would have imagined...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

I expected much lower as well. This shouldnt have been PPV in my opinion.
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
Papa1472002

Post by Papa1472002 »

At $75, 300K is a great number in the United States. Not to mention, it was the FIRST PPV for Wilder.
PPV Revenue: $75 x 300k = $22,500,000.00 USD.
Gate: TBA, but apparently it was the second largest gate for boxing at Staples Center behind DLH-SSM.
The Wilder-Fury 2 PPV against Fury will crack 1 million easily now because the demand is there.
Now Wilder can easily get a 50/50 $100M fight against Fury. :lol: :lol:

Look at the comparisons...

GGG-Jacobs 170k
Canlelo-Lara 300k
Canelo-Smith 300k
Cotto-Martinez 315k
Canelo-Angulo 315k
Mayweather-Baldomir 325k
Mayweather-Gatti 340k
Pacquiao-Morales I 345K
Mayweather-Judah 375k
Mayweather-Berto 400k
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

I think 300k is good for this fight, I honestly thought it would be lower.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

Im curious in terms of the official numbers.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Good number. Strangely though Comcast didn’t allow me to purchase it on the night of the fight. I do t know if it crashed or what
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

74.99+tax more like 85.00 dollars so were looking at 26 million in ppv sales so I say it's a success and were not couting the overseas money these guys are at bug paydays....BIG SUCCESS
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

stunna 2.0 wrote:74.99+tax more like 85.00 dollars so were looking at 26 million in ppv sales so I say it's a success and were not couting the overseas money these guys are at bug paydays....BIG SUCCESS
no one counts tax as part of PPV sales.

All in all, great result if that is the true number. I thought this might do 200K sales max. The fight does not give both fighters more 8 figure payday, but it upped the profile for both and their next fight will be for even more massive money
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

If 300k is a good number with that much promotion, then boxing really is dead in the US!

Not really a huge number, you can get 100k into a stadium...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

If 300k is a good number with that much promotion, then boxing really is dead in the US!

First you said it had no promotion, and nobody knew who Wilder was, now you say it was being promoted?

Just stop it man, you sound desperate to trash anything to do with this fight. The fight did a lot better than most people thought, and like it or not, Fury and Wilder have built up some good momentum, and have really put themselves out there for the American public.

And this is the United States, we could care less if you guys in the UK watch boxing in a soccer stadium. We watch most of our boxing in arenas, and play soccer on small little league fields.
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

Danielk015 wrote:
stunna 2.0 wrote:74.99+tax more like 85.00 dollars so were looking at 26 million in ppv sales so I say it's a success and were not couting the overseas money these guys are at bug paydays....BIG SUCCESS
no one counts tax as part of PPV sales.

All in all, great result if that is the true number. I thought this might do 200K sales max. The fight does not give both fighters more 8 figure payday, but it upped the profile for both and their next fight will be for even more massive money
I bet rh guys collecting money count it .
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Mayz wrote:If 300k is a good number with that much promotion, then boxing really is dead in the US!

Again you dont seem to understand the u.s. ppv market. You are just looking for confirmation of your bias even though the facts are stating otherwise
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

stunna 2.0 wrote: I bet rh guys collecting money count it .
What are you talking about? No, the fighters and promoters do not figure tax when they are talking about sales. NO ONES DOES

I am pretty sure you are not a CPA. But let's say you are an owner of a retail business. You do not count tax receipts as part of sales, and book them to be revealed in your finanial Statement as part of the P&L.

No public company reports tax collected as part of their "sales" figure.

No one with half a brain counts Tax as part of "sales" or "revenue earned".

Cmon bro. Live in the real world.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Lol sales taxes count as revenues? You dont work in finance
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

Someone on here told me awhile back they counted taxes in the revanue of a fight I'm pretty much just repeating what someone else said
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

The Wilder Fury fight did okay PPV revenue. 300K + $74.95, nets around $22 mil and that is with both fighters not well known in the US

AJ and Pot did 1.2m buys, at around 20 pounds, which when converted to US dollars is around $30 mil.

So that $22mil compares decently to the $30mil that AJ did in ppv sales.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

stunna 2.0 wrote:Someone on here told me awhile back they counted taxes in the revanue of a fight I'm pretty much just repeating what someone else said
Whoever told you that had only quarter of a brain
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

Danielk015 wrote:The Wilder Fury fight did okay PPV revenue. 300K + $74.95, nets around $22 mil and that is with both fighters not well known in the US

AJ and Pot did 1.2m buys, at around 20 pounds, which when converted to US dollars is around $30 mil.

1.2 million buys at 20 pounds is 24 million us dollar so they did practically the same number
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

stunna 2.0 wrote:
Danielk015 wrote:The Wilder Fury fight did okay PPV revenue. 300K + $74.95, nets around $22 mil and that is with both fighters not well known in the US

1.2 million buys at 20 pounds is 24 million us dollar so they did practically the same number
give or take 8 million lol

24 million pounds is 30 million usd.

So the North American ppv did enough buys to cover one fighters purse if we are to believe the reported purses each fighter expects lol. Espinoza and Al should be waving little Union Jack flags and praying for the BT buys in the UK to bail them out.
Last edited by Canvas on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

stunna 2.0 wrote:

A pound is worth more than a US dollar.

Not sure on what the exchange rate was last month, but at the moment 20 pounds is about $25.45 US, and multiplying that by 1.2 million gets roughly $30,500,000 US. Edit: see above

Though, this fight also had UK PPV to factor in. Not sure how the revenue distribution works with that..
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Tocsin wrote:
A pound is worth more than a US dollar.

Not sure on what the exchange rate was lat month, but at the moment 20 pounds is about $25.45 US, and multiplying that by 1.2 million gets about $30,500,000 US.
Yeah if they get 300k that will net them about 11 million bucks USD...so they will need some pretty big numbers from Britain to pay each fighter over 10 million, cover the undercard and promotional costs, etc. I'm sure the numbers from Ireland and the UK will be good though.

All in all, this promotion will probably equal the revenue that AJ can draw vs Bozo the clown. Let alone AJ vs a guy like Parker who brings a bit of his own revenue.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”