Did Fury Get like 15 Seconds to Recover?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
DSuperman25

Did Fury Get like 15 Seconds to Recover?

Post by DSuperman25 »

Has this count been addressed on here at all since the fight? Even in real time it felt like the Ref was determined to give Fury all the time he needed to shake off the KD. I couldn't see the ringside person begin the count as you usually can spot him helping the ref out so it looked slow. Perhaps the shock caught both the ref and the ringside official off guard and delayed the count?

Then when he stood up it felt like a conversation was happening rather than can you continue?

Finally, usually you'll see the ref back up and tell the fighter to take a few steps toward me to gauge his balance etc. Reiss instructs Fury to walk all the way to the corner and back basically. It just seemed extremely odd in the moment.
Tocsin

Re: Did Fury Get like 15 Seconds to Recover?

Post by Tocsin »

They've started doing that 'walk over there and back' thing a lot lately. I've seen it many other times before this and am assuming it's a new rule or something for refs.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

He got a lot of time to recover. It is irrefutable.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

He got up at 9. Ref assessed him and the fight went on. Normal procedure
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

No complaints how Reiss called the fight and the knockdown. He's one of the better refs in the game and he was excellent last Sat imo.
BadlyBrowned
______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

It really felt like he got a slow count which is weird because for the first four seconds I thought he was out... and then came the Undertaker revival and the ref assessed that he was able to continue and Fury proved it.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

This has been discussed on other Boxing sites I frequent. I've seen somebody say that the time elapsed in real time from when the knockdown occurs to when the action resumes is 22 seconds.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Well look at the video and the official clock. Hes up at 9
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

I was watching on the British feed, not the Showtime, and you can clearly see the person outside the ring start the count and the ref pick it up right away. There was no delay time wise.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
DSuperman25

Post by DSuperman25 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Well look at the video and the official clock. Hes up at 9
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq_V5z9gB-o/

Looks like getting up at 9.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

Fury got up at 9 and the referee did a couple of now standard checks to make sure he was fit to continue....end of topic.
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Nah, defo got up in time.

The checks after happen all the time. People just clutching at straws.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

The checks have changed over time to include more things. The reason this has been done is for fighter safety. For years all boxers had to do was move forward, it was autopilot for boxers. Its what they trained for and was second nature and instinctual for them when buzzed. Now they are given directions to comply and for the ref to see their movement and see if the fighter comprehends what they are being told to do. In NJ we also make them move diagonally to check them.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
ceelowsback

Post by ceelowsback »

He won the remainder of the round after getting KD. The referee should be commended for not waiving it off. Everyone thought he was KTFO and the rest is history. Just feel for him man...the Ultimate comeback was derailed by bad scoring. I only gave Wilder the rounds he got the KD's.
TEAM PLATANO POWER - CARIBBEAN CONNECTION
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Fury got no extra time. Up on his feet at 9, and the ref just took a few seconds to observe and assess, nothing out of the ordinary. Remember that if the ref were to see Fury stumble or look shake during that assessment he might well have stopped it
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Fury got up in time, but like others have said, he got lucky he didn't get waived off. He looked dead when he hit the canvas....
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

He looked dead from a distance, but when I saw his eyes he looked alert. I think he was intentionally waiting it out.
stunna 2.0

Post by stunna 2.0 »

In any other fight no count its waived off wilder hit him a right and when he was falling a left hook fury admitted himself he was out cold until about 5 in refs count but I'm he was able to du sh the fight on his feet
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

ceelowsback wrote:He won the remainder of the round after getting KD. The referee should be commended for not waiving it off. Everyone thought he was KTFO and the rest is history. Just feel for him man...the Ultimate comeback was derailed by bad scoring. I only gave Wilder the rounds he got the KD's.
Exactly.....all credit to Reiss for not being a drama queen and flapping his arms about as soon as Fury hit the deck and briefly appeared out. He gave Fury a chance, picked up the count and we saw Fury get up and pretty much carry on where he left off.

Reiss is emerging as one of the leading referees in the game. He's a no nonsense official who doesn't play to the cameras and he's calm and measured in his responses. A fucking idiot like Nady would have been flapping like a demented chicken if he'd been in the job last Saturday.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:He got up at 9. Ref assessed him and the fight went on. Normal procedure
he got up at 9 by the refs slow count... there are numerous videos that show he was down for well over 10 real seconds
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/12/5/1 ... last-round

In an interview with SiriusXM Boxing, referee Jack Reiss provides his explanation for not immediately waving off the fight when Deontay Wilder leveled Tyson Fury in the 12th round with a couple of monstrous shots.

“Let me tell you, if [there] was earlier, heavy damage and [Fury] had been hurt — you know, there was a history in the fight that he was really getting knocked around and he fell like that and hit his head — I would’ve waved it off.

“But the fight was so close, the magnitude of the fight — you know, a heavyweight championship fight — I’ve always been taught to count a champion out and I wanted to give him every opportunity. So I took my time — not that I stalled the count like these knuckleheads are saying — just patient and I went down to make sure what I was doing was correct, ‘cause I wanna do what’s best for boxing. I always wanna do what’s best for boxing.

“And listen, look at all the talk. Look at the controversy over who they thought won, the rematch. This thing here, there was such a buzz over this. I think it’s best for boxing. Let’s see it again.”

TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Primetyme199 wrote:https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/12/5/1 ... last-round

In an interview with SiriusXM Boxing, referee Jack Reiss provides his explanation for not immediately waving off the fight when Deontay Wilder leveled Tyson Fury in the 12th round with a couple of monstrous shots.

“Let me tell you, if [there] was earlier, heavy damage and [Fury] had been hurt — you know, there was a history in the fight that he was really getting knocked around and he fell like that and hit his head — I would’ve waved it off.

“But the fight was so close, the magnitude of the fight — you know, a heavyweight championship fight — I’ve always been taught to count a champion out and I wanted to give him every opportunity. So I took my time — not that I stalled the count like these knuckleheads are saying — just patient and I went down to make sure what I was doing was correct, ‘cause I wanna do what’s best for boxing. I always wanna do what’s best for boxing.

“And listen, look at all the talk. Look at the controversy over who they thought won, the rematch. This thing here, there was such a buzz over this. I think it’s best for boxing. Let’s see it again.”
that explanation does not look good for boxing... at all
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

There is a video on Warren's IG of a stopwatch being used to time the count as it happened. Fury was up inside 10 seconds and that's a fact. The referee then did a couple of checks to ensure he was fit to continue and the fight continued.

The referee should be applauded for his officiating.....unbelievable that some want to criticise the guy for doing his job correctly.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

ceelowsback wrote:He won the remainder of the round after getting KD. The referee should be commended for not waiving it off. Everyone thought he was KTFO and the rest is history. Just feel for him man...the Ultimate comeback was derailed by bad scoring. I only gave Wilder the rounds he got the KD's.

I guess its a means to attempt to dismiss the fact that Fury won 9 rounds. The "long count" stuff. I agree that the man got hosed. (Fury)
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Bertel1 wrote:

I guess its a means to attempt to dismiss the fact that Fury won 9 rounds. The "long count" stuff. I agree that the man got hosed. (Fury)
no ones saying fury didnt win more rounds... just stating the simple fact that if you watch the replay with a timer on it it clearly shows that it is longer than 10 seconds from the time he hits the deck to the time hes on 2 feet. its around 12 seconds... then throw in the extra 10-15 seconds of nonsense by the ref letting him walk it off and get his legs back and you do have a legitimate gripe. there should be no grey area... he has 10 seconds to get up and fight... no "well its a championship fight so i took my time" bs.

do NBA refs let a post buzzer shot count cuz its by the warriors and theyre the champs? tbh both men should feel robbed. wilder was robbed by the ref and fury was robbed by the judge who gave wilder 115 points

all they can do is fight again and hope that competent people are judging and in the ring with them for a change

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”