Fury obviously won so.....

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Tocsin

Re: Fury obviously won so.....

Post by Tocsin »

yoloswaggy911 wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:
5_burowz wrote:Fury was the only one lying on the canvas. Twice.
Come on now Burowz......give him a little credit and acknowledge the way that boxing is scored! Fury won more rounds and had fun most of the night. Wilder had a couple of moments of vivid success, but then was actually pushed back himself in both of the KD rounds.

Wilder's also got a black eye today....so Fury should get extra kudos for that on the play ground...right?!
Though rumours that Wilder was hiding n had to be pulled out from under his bed prior to the first bell are unconfirmed at this time. :wink:

The only reason it was a draw is because Fury is too fucking retarded to realize he was KO'd. Stop crying. You're a grown man for God's sake. A.J. better keep his ass in the house or he's next. Not sure he gets up though.
AJ's next for what? A draw? :lol:
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Some people are bitter when forced to confront reality. You can only fool people so long with hype. As I said before, the American David Haye minus the legit cruiser reign. Also minus the drawing power.
BadlyBrowned
______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

Fury definitely should have won and I give him props although the only thing I find questionable was that he received a longer than usual count in round 12 when he went down. I thought he was out until 5 or 6 when he pulled an Adonis Creed against Ricky Conlan and got jolted to get up. Its arguable that Wilder should have been awarded a KO victory but after he got up he proved that he was still definitely in the right head space and fought back fiercely.

Joshua may be better than both of them but
1) he needs to prove it and get in the ring with either of them
2) his lack of head movement is worrying against either of them

Fury pulling a Tommy Wiseau at the post fight interview was the highlight for me. Hes definitely a likeable fellow.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

5_burowz wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:
5_burowz wrote:Fury was the only one lying on the canvas. Twice.
Come on now Burowz......give him a little credit and acknowledge the way that boxing is scored! Fury won more rounds and had fun most of the night. Wilder had a couple of moments of vivid success, but then was actually pushed back himself in both of the KD rounds.

Wilder's also got a black eye today....so Fury should get extra kudos for that on the play ground...right?!
Though rumours that Wilder was hiding n had to be pulled out from under his bed prior to the first bell are unconfirmed at this time. :wink:

Let the record show that Lurky scored rounds to Fury for having fun
Nothing wrong with having fun whilst you're boxing the others guys head off. The likes of Ray Leonard did it for years.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

lurkyshaka wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:
Yes you would think.
The draw was fair.
No it wasn't......not to the vast majority.

You're generally a good poster Gil, but I think you're actually the only person on here who thinks it was fair.
the draw was fair. wilders winning card was not.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

fury is the best HW boxer out there still clearly. however in the giants division, power can be the great equalizer. he lacks that and his beard is suspect. barring a KO he should beat everyone over 200.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Fury is better. He won the majority of the rounds

A draw or fury win was fine. Wilder winning is a stretch. I dont want to see it again but if ppv sales were decent we will see if most likely next.

Wilder winning 7 rounds is ludicrous
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

gilgamesh wrote:
The draw was fair.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

TopNotch86 wrote: the draw was fair. wilders winning card was not.
Most people don't think a draw was appropriate.....including Lou Dibella who was caught on camera telling Fury he'd won, though he'd reneged on that view by the following morning. Just funny that he got caught on tape :lol:

A draw is a big stretch....Fury should have gotten the decision, with Wilder scoring the KD's a little bit of damage limitation for him.

But it is what it is....officially a draw but with the vast majority of observers feeling that Fury was the winner who moves forward with his stock risen. And while Wilder's fistic stock might have dipped, his marketability hasn't suffered on the back of being in a decent fight that a decent amount of people tuned in to watch.

Heavyweight division is heating up.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Well he is able to execute a winning gameplan that is for sure. he had showed he had a shaky chin before and gotten up but i was wondering vs someone who can thump what would happen. I thought Wilder would've gotten him out after a KD... not the case... it takes more skills... Because even shaken, he can remain evasive and smart and not fall into bravado cockyness which would get him stopped
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

the13r wrote:Well he is able to execute a winning gameplan that is for sure. he had showed he had a shaky chin before and gotten up but i was wondering vs someone who can thump what would happen. I thought Wilder would've gotten him out after a KD... not the case... it takes more skills... Because even shaken, he can remain evasive and smart and not fall into bravado cockyness which would get him stopped
His powers of recovery are remarkable really.....he goes down but seems to get up with sense and physicality intact.

After the 12th round KD....it looked like it'd be a basic battle of survival to run the clock down, but he got up and rode out a mini storm and then preceded to back Wilder up. Not many fighters at any weight could rise from such a heavy KD and still be strong physically and able to function like that. Like you say he kept his composure and didn't start desperately exchanging. He still picked his shots.

My only criticism of Fury was he should have sought to turn the screw on Wilder and gotten him out of there himself earlier. I don't see much danger in attacking Wilder because he can't counter punch. The danger with Wilder is letting him keep winging shots because sooner or later one of his wild bombs will land. There's actually more safety in the eye of the storm as it were.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Yeah i think the opportunity was there often pre clinch to hit him with power shots on the side of the head but Fury didn't push it... I think he could've at least hurt Wilder to the point he would've been in big trouble. If he can make sure Wilder doesn't hold too much, i think Fury could get the tko
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

Whats up guys. The "draw" stinks of cow manure. Im still trying to remove the stench from my living room. I wasnt sold on Fury prior to that Wilder fight, but now he's earned my respect. That fight wasnt difficult to score whatsoever. One of my Facebook friends said that loco 115/111 judge must have thought Wilder was Fury. (lol) How else can one explain that 115/111 Wilder nonsense? Anyway I gave Fury 9 rounds. Giving Wilder 4 rounds is being extremely generous. Wilder is horrific in terms of fundamentals. Even with the knockdowns, Wilder lost that fight. Haymon saved the day for his "undefeated" Heavywt.

115/111 Fury, or 114/112 Fury. Nothing more or less. Wilder got embarrassed. Blueprint has been laid. Fury finished what Ortiz started. I also noticed Fury rocked Wilder in the 12th. Wilder can turn a fight around with his power, but he depends on that one punch entirely too much
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

I can't stand either one of them, and the fight ended exactly as I predicted -- Draw. Bring on the ReeReeMatch between ReeRee1 and ReeRee2.

All we need now is another Draw, and a Draw in the rubber match and I'll be a prophet.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

Bertel1 wrote:Whats up guys. The "draw" stinks of cow manure. Im still trying to remove the stench from my living room. I wasnt sold on Fury prior to that Wilder fight, but now he's earned my respect. That fight wasnt difficult to score whatsoever. One of my Facebook friends said that loco 115/111 judge must have thought Wilder was Fury. (lol) How else can one explain that 115/111 Wilder nonsense? Anyway I gave Fury 9 rounds. Giving Wilder 4 rounds is being extremely generous. Wilder is horrific in terms of fundamentals. Even with the knockdowns, Wilder lost that fight. Haymon saved the day for his "undefeated" Heavywt.

115/111 Fury, or 114/112 Fury. Nothing more or less. Wilder got embarrassed. Blueprint has been laid. Fury finished what Ortiz started. I also noticed Fury rocked Wilder in the 12th. Wilder can turn a fight around with his power, but he depends on that one punch entirely too much
Good post.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

lurkyshaka wrote:
Bertel1 wrote:Whats up guys. The "draw" stinks of cow manure. Im still trying to remove the stench from my living room. I wasnt sold on Fury prior to that Wilder fight, but now he's earned my respect. That fight wasnt difficult to score whatsoever. One of my Facebook friends said that loco 115/111 judge must have thought Wilder was Fury. (lol) How else can one explain that 115/111 Wilder nonsense? Anyway I gave Fury 9 rounds. Giving Wilder 4 rounds is being extremely generous. Wilder is horrific in terms of fundamentals. Even with the knockdowns, Wilder lost that fight. Haymon saved the day for his "undefeated" Heavywt.

Good post.
____

Im calling it like it is Lurk.
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

lurkyshaka wrote:Now lets hear his haters step up and admit he proved them wrong. Far from the clown etc he's been called by some....he proved the win over Klitschko was no fluke. And then to get up in the 12th round after looking poleaxed, showed an incredible heart, desire and physical capacity. The look on Wilder's face should be made into a meme. He thought he'd pulled it out of the fire again....only to see Fury rise, the look on Wilder's face said it all!

Fury was clearly robbed on the cards and the one judge who even had Wilder retaining without including the KD's should be shot. WTF is going on with Wilder fights and the judges?? Maybe Haymon can be forgiven for the god awful job he's done of actually building Wilder's profile....because he's so busy stuffing envelopes in pockets behind the scenes!

Wilder has basically nothing going for him other than power and a certain awkwardness. Other than that he's absolutely toss. He has no technique, he has stamina issues, he is clueless. I'd give him a 10/10 for his power but if his power was even slightly lower say 8/10 he'd not even be in the top 50. That power is the only thing that saves Wilder from being lower level fringe.

Fury's only mistake was he should have gone after Wilder and put him away. Wilder can't counter punch at all so Fury should have put heavy leather on him and taken it out of the judges hands. Fury would be better in a rematch, he'll be even fitter and now he's had a proper look at Wilder he'll make some slight adjustments...but what can Wilder really do any different? At 30 he's not going to learn how to box. His power always keeps him live against anyone, but he has basically nothing else in his arsenal.

But on the back of this Fury's linear status is validated and what a comeback. I think it'll be very interesting to see now how easily a rematch can be made. We might find that a return isn't so straight forward to make unless its already contractually in place. Splits/etc might be much more of a talking point.

In a weird way maybe this makes AJ/Wilder more likely....perhaps rather than rematching Fury in a fight Wilder's team naturally wouldn't feel too confident about, they'll maybe think it wiser to cash in now against Joshua. Worse case scenario they all get paid out and Wilder gets laid out....and if Wilder did manage to land his hail mary then they'd somehow find themselves at the top of the mountain and with mega fight rematches against both Joshua and Fury to be made.

And as amateurish as Wilder was last night his stock as a boxer dropped, but his marketability has probably risen. The fight caught fan attention and it turned out to be a decent enough watch.

Be interesting to see what direction is taken next regarding Joshua/Fury/Wilder.
I still hate Fury :-) - but I have said all along that Wilder might freeze because of Fury's movement. It wasn't quite that, but I have now seen an article where they tried to blame his lack of accuracy on his right arm injury. To be honest, it looked like the same Wilder I have always seen... looping shots instead of straight, awkward sense of timing, and every once in a while a huge shot lands despite his lack of boxing skills because of his athleticism. That is who the guy is.

I will be honest in that I expected his awkwardness combined with Fury's showmanship to result in a spectacular knockout on a punch that Fury didn't see coming... and that almost happened. Fury did, as Lurk said, show staima and heart in getting up - more stamina than I gave him credit for, even though I thought that he did have heart or else was foolish enough to take chances other fighters wouldn't take.

Fury is a good, if not somewhat awkward fighter. The only real place that I don't agree with Lurk is that Fury should have tried to finish Wilder... risk v reward would say to me that Fury did the right thing and actually should have won the fight. I was surprised when Wilder folks were saying that he took the early rounds because Fury's punches were 'ineffective' - as opposed to Wilder's biggest shots hitting air. Fury did enough to win that fight, despite the knockdowns. I honestly expected the draw - those in the chat from the Living Room can tell you that I said split decision and I would not be surprised to see a draw... and that was correct. It is sad that I can see those things coming now because of the wildly different ways some judges see fights.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

Just a guy wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:Now lets hear his haters step up and admit he proved them wrong. Far from the clown etc he's been called by some....he proved the win over Klitschko was no fluke. And then to get up in the 12th round after looking poleaxed, showed an incredible heart, desire and physical capacity. The look on Wilder's face should be made into a meme. He thought he'd pulled it out of the fire again....only to see Fury rise, the look on Wilder's face said it all!

Fury was clearly robbed on the cards and the one judge who even had Wilder retaining without including the KD's should be shot. WTF is going on with Wilder fights and the judges?? Maybe Haymon can be forgiven for the god awful job he's done of actually building Wilder's profile....because he's so busy stuffing envelopes in pockets behind the scenes!

Wilder has basically nothing going for him other than power and a certain awkwardness. Other than that he's absolutely toss. He has no technique, he has stamina issues, he is clueless. I'd give him a 10/10 for his power but if his power was even slightly lower say 8/10 he'd not even be in the top 50. That power is the only thing that saves Wilder from being lower level fringe.

Fury's only mistake was he should have gone after Wilder and put him away. Wilder can't counter punch at all so Fury should have put heavy leather on him and taken it out of the judges hands. Fury would be better in a rematch, he'll be even fitter and now he's had a proper look at Wilder he'll make some slight adjustments...but what can Wilder really do any different? At 30 he's not going to learn how to box. His power always keeps him live against anyone, but he has basically nothing else in his arsenal.

But on the back of this Fury's linear status is validated and what a comeback. I think it'll be very interesting to see now how easily a rematch can be made. We might find that a return isn't so straight forward to make unless its already contractually in place. Splits/etc might be much more of a talking point.

In a weird way maybe this makes AJ/Wilder more likely....perhaps rather than rematching Fury in a fight Wilder's team naturally wouldn't feel too confident about, they'll maybe think it wiser to cash in now against Joshua. Worse case scenario they all get paid out and Wilder gets laid out....and if Wilder did manage to land his hail mary then they'd somehow find themselves at the top of the mountain and with mega fight rematches against both Joshua and Fury to be made.

And as amateurish as Wilder was last night his stock as a boxer dropped, but his marketability has probably risen. The fight caught fan attention and it turned out to be a decent enough watch.

Be interesting to see what direction is taken next regarding Joshua/Fury/Wilder.
I still hate Fury :-) - but I have said all along that Wilder might freeze because of Fury's movement. It wasn't quite that, but I have now seen an article where they tried to blame his lack of accuracy on his right arm injury. To be honest, it looked like the same Wilder I have always seen... looping shots instead of straight, awkward sense of timing, and every once in a while a huge shot lands despite his lack of boxing skills because of his athleticism. That is who the guy is.

I will be honest in that I expected his awkwardness combined with Fury's showmanship to result in a spectacular knockout on a punch that Fury didn't see coming... and that almost happened. Fury did, as Lurk said, show staima and heart in getting up - more stamina than I gave him credit for, even though I thought that he did have heart or else was foolish enough to take chances other fighters wouldn't take.

Fury is a good, if not somewhat awkward fighter. The only real place that I don't agree with Lurk is that Fury should have tried to finish Wilder... risk v reward would say to me that Fury did the right thing and actually should have won the fight. I was surprised when Wilder folks were saying that he took the early rounds because Fury's punches were 'ineffective' - as opposed to Wilder's biggest shots hitting air. Fury did enough to win that fight, despite the knockdowns. I honestly expected the draw - those in the chat from the Living Room can tell you that I said split decision and I would not be surprised to see a draw... and that was correct. It is sad that I can see those things coming now because of the wildly different ways some judges see fights.
I think he(Fury) should have been more spiteful and pushed for the stoppage himself because I really don't think attacking Wilder is all that risky. The guy just can't counter punch....the danger with Wilder comes in giving him space and letting him wing shots in. Most are way off target but every now and then he will land a decent one because as you say he's athletic.

But if you go at him and throw nice compact punches, all the flaws are exploited and his lack of ability to counter means its actually safe. I think Fury's lack of complete trust in his own conditioning meant he made a very concentrated effort to pace himself, rather than risk more aggression and possibly gassing out.....In a return I think a fitter Fury would open up with more combinations and would seek to put Wilder to the sword more.

As you say its not hard now to predict bad scorecards....Lennox Lewis said immediately after the fight that Fury had won the fight, but he was predicting a draw as he's now expects controversy. Obviously he went through it himself and obviously he was right in regards Fury/Wilder.

To be honest when betting on big fights now.....I think its always wise to put a few quid down on the draw because they are growing in frequency.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

Lurk I think Wilder is dangerous at any point even when he's tired as hell. Those wild punches don't consistently land but when they connect it can be a problem. Fury goes on to win the rest of the round after that brutal knockdown. That it itself was impressive.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

Bertel1 wrote:Lurk I think Wilder is dangerous at any point even when he's tired as hell. Those wild punches don't consistently land but when they connect it can be a problem. Fury goes on to win the rest of the round after that brutal knockdown. That it itself was impressive.
Yeah I agree he's always dangerous, but his lack of counter punching ability means that attacking him isn't as dangerous as it might seem. Its waiting on him at range that's more risky. I think going up against Wilder the key is to be consistently first either with a punch or a feint and keep the punches compact and direct. You'll beat him to the punch that way.

But if you stay at his preferred range, he is likely to find the target at some point with one of his long, looping bombs.

The thing with Wilder is the threat of his power keeps lesser heavyweights contained offensively and more a sitting duck for his power. But those who seek to put it on him have success because he lacks counter punching ability. And we've seen this with fighters of various degrees of ability. Its being consistent and constantly focused that's the key because Wilder if nothing else can really crack and will keep slinging bombs whenever he's able and can find the range.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

Wilder has horrible basics. He needs to learn how to throw straight punches consistently. One big thing I also saw was when in range, Fury would constantly duck and weave, Wilder would throw a looping right hand. All he had to do was throw a few uppercuts in there and he'd have gotten to Fury's chin. Even if he missed with the uppercuts it would have opened up the looping right by making Fury worry about the other punch.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Primetyme199 wrote:Wilder has horrible basics. He needs to learn how to throw straight punches consistently. One big thing I also saw was when in range, Fury would constantly duck and weave, Wilder would throw a looping right hand. All he had to do was throw a few uppercuts in there and he'd have gotten to Fury's chin. Even if he missed with the uppercuts it would have opened up the looping right by making Fury worry about the other punch.
The craziest thing is the only time i remember him throwing a straight right, he landed and and almost killed Fury in the 12th with that KD. Why it took him 12 rounds to figure that out, i don’t know, but he really has to learn to make those minor adjustments quicker.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

i think the only Fury haters are joshua fans who have a weird obsession with trashing all of wilders opponents... im happy for tyson, glad he seems to have his life back together most importantly
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

lurkyshaka wrote:
Bertel1 wrote:Lurk I think Wilder is dangerous at any point even when he's tired as hell. Those wild punches don't consistently land but when they connect it can be a problem. Fury goes on to win the rest of the round after that brutal knockdown. That it itself was impressive.
Yeah I agree he's always dangerous, but his lack of counter punching ability means that attacking him isn't as dangerous as it might seem. Its waiting on him at range that's more risky. I think going up against Wilder the key is to be consistently first either with a punch or a feint and keep the punches compact and direct. You'll beat him to the punch that way.

But if you stay at his preferred range, he is likely to find the target at some point with one of his long, looping bombs.

The thing with Wilder is the threat of his power keeps lesser heavyweights contained offensively and more a sitting duck for his power. But those who seek to put it on him have success because he lacks counter punching ability. And we've seen this with fighters of various degrees of ability. Its being consistent and constantly focused that's the key because Wilder if nothing else can really crack and will keep slinging bombs whenever he's able and can find the range.
________

That's true. Keep the pressure on him. Make Wilder fight at an uncomfortable pace.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

Bertel1 wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:

________

That's true. Keep the pressure on him. Make Wilder fight at an uncomfortable pace.
Yes and stay inside of his power range. Wilder's power is at the end of the punch, the crack of the whip as it were. Get inside that range and you can negate quite a bit of his pop. Plus he really hasn't got an inside game to speak of, and being a smaller heavyweight in terms of weight, it must be draining for him grappling with a guy as big as Fury on the inside.

If I were training Fury for the rematch, Id tell him to be a little more direct, throw in 2-3 rather than single shots and to be very rough on the inside. Do the sort of stuff that Lennox Lewis did, lean on and hang your weight off the opposition. Make it very physical to put extra pressure on Wilder's already suspect stamina.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”