Fury obviously won so.....

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Fury obviously won so.....

Post by lurkyshaka »

Now lets hear his haters step up and admit he proved them wrong. Far from the clown etc he's been called by some....he proved the win over Klitschko was no fluke. And then to get up in the 12th round after looking poleaxed, showed an incredible heart, desire and physical capacity. The look on Wilder's face should be made into a meme. He thought he'd pulled it out of the fire again....only to see Fury rise, the look on Wilder's face said it all!

Fury was clearly robbed on the cards and the one judge who even had Wilder retaining without including the KD's should be shot. WTF is going on with Wilder fights and the judges?? Maybe Haymon can be forgiven for the god awful job he's done of actually building Wilder's profile....because he's so busy stuffing envelopes in pockets behind the scenes!

Wilder has basically nothing going for him other than power and a certain awkwardness. Other than that he's absolutely toss. He has no technique, he has stamina issues, he is clueless. I'd give him a 10/10 for his power but if his power was even slightly lower say 8/10 he'd not even be in the top 50. That power is the only thing that saves Wilder from being lower level fringe.

Fury's only mistake was he should have gone after Wilder and put him away. Wilder can't counter punch at all so Fury should have put heavy leather on him and taken it out of the judges hands. Fury would be better in a rematch, he'll be even fitter and now he's had a proper look at Wilder he'll make some slight adjustments...but what can Wilder really do any different? At 30 he's not going to learn how to box. His power always keeps him live against anyone, but he has basically nothing else in his arsenal.

But on the back of this Fury's linear status is validated and what a comeback. I think it'll be very interesting to see now how easily a rematch can be made. We might find that a return isn't so straight forward to make unless its already contractually in place. Splits/etc might be much more of a talking point.

In a weird way maybe this makes AJ/Wilder more likely....perhaps rather than rematching Fury in a fight Wilder's team naturally wouldn't feel too confident about, they'll maybe think it wiser to cash in now against Joshua. Worse case scenario they all get paid out and Wilder gets laid out....and if Wilder did manage to land his hail mary then they'd somehow find themselves at the top of the mountain and with mega fight rematches against both Joshua and Fury to be made.

And as amateurish as Wilder was last night his stock as a boxer dropped, but his marketability has probably risen. The fight caught fan attention and it turned out to be a decent enough watch.

Be interesting to see what direction is taken next regarding Joshua/Fury/Wilder.
Last edited by lurkyshaka on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy

Re: Fury obviously won so.....

Post by Tommy »

I have always said Fury is better than Wilder and Joshua.
Kev_OS

Post by Kev_OS »

Yeah Wilder felt some of those right hands and short hooks up close from Fury. I think Tyson nailed him with a good one in the 12th after getting up from the knockdown and stunned him a bit. If he piled on the pressure he could have scored a knockdown himself. I don't blame him though because Wilder showed you have to respect his power for the full 12.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

Kev_OS wrote:Yeah Wilder felt some of those right hands and short hooks up close from Fury. I think Tyson nailed him with a good one in the 12th after getting up from the knockdown and stunned him a bit. If he piled on the pressure he could have scored a knockdown himself. I don't blame him though because Wilder showed you have to respect his power for the full 12.
Yes you always have to be wary of Wilder's power, but because he can't counter punch you can go on the offensive without to much trepidation. Whenever Fury threw 2-3 punches he'd consistently land something heavy. But I think Fury was very aware of pacing himself because he himself wasn't certain how full his tank would be after the lay off and dramatic weight loss.

But Wilder is most dangerous when you sit and give him time to keep winging right hands, most are way off target but if you give him time and space to keep throwing he'll land at some point. But by going at him and you take his offense away because he's never been taught to counter punch.

I think Fury would stop him in a rematch, but I'm sceptical we'll see that fight happen next.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

Tommy wrote:I have always said Fury is better than Wilder and Joshua.
His style is a problem for anyone. He's so big and can do things men that kind of size aren't supposed to be able to do. Normally the downside of being huge is a lack of speed, but Fury is far faster than the heavyweight average. And he's got a much more developed skill set than the vast majority of heavyweights.

As it stands I see it as...

1)Joshua
2)Fury
3)Wilder

(And there are others snapping at the heels of the top 3......Wilder's power and Haymon's seemingly rock solid relationship with judges make it hard for those below to be confidently favoured to beat him. But would it really be a shock if Whyte, Miller, Parker beat Deontay on the back of what we saw last night??)

But Fury's claim to be classed as the Champion is really stronger than Joshua's. He's the man who beat the man and has never lost, and now he's comeback successfully its hard to ignore his linear status. That said Joshua's profile is so big, Matchroom have done such an outstanding job with his promotion.

Wilder does still officially hold a WBC strap, but it lost more lustre with last nights verdict. Its weird cus Wilder's marketability probably rose because the fight was entertaining, but his standing as a fighter and beltholder dropped because he looked shit for much of the fight and should have lost the strap.

Its hard to predict which direction they will all look to take.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

114 Wilder was bit dirty, Id say Wilder got 2 of the first 6 rounds though and obviously the judge who had a draw had it even at 6. Wilder needed a dramatic last round but Tyson rising up stole that thunder. Such is the world of boxing.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

straycat wrote:114 Wilder was bit dirty, Id say Wilder got 2 of the first 6 rounds though and obviously the judge who had a draw had it even at 6. Wilder needed a dramatic last round but Tyson rising up stole that thunder. Such is the world of boxing.
So you agree that Fury won the fight and acknowledge that Fury proved you wrong last night Stray?
straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

lurkyshaka wrote:
straycat wrote:114 Wilder was bit dirty, Id say Wilder got 2 of the first 6 rounds though and obviously the judge who had a draw had it even at 6. Wilder needed a dramatic last round but Tyson rising up stole that thunder. Such is the world of boxing.
So you agree that Fury won the fight and acknowledge that Fury proved you wrong last night Stray?
I can only account to what I've stated. Fury looks though not as awkward in the ring but he manages to look effective in spots. His decision not to stand infront of Wilder and bang it out round for round was smart. Wilder himself said Fury needs to be perfect the whole fight he only needs to be perfect for a brief second.
I will be a good sport and take your sig for 2 weeks as a small consolation.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

straycat wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:
I can only account to what I've stated. Fury looks though not as awkward in the ring but he manages to look effective in spots. His decision not to stand infront of Wilder and bang it out round for round was smart. Wilder himself said Fury needs to be perfect the whole fight he only needs to be perfect for a brief second.
I will be a good sport and take your sig for 2 weeks as a small consolation.
No its okay....like Fury I'll be magnanimous post fight because the point was proven. Fury's status as the linear Champ is cemented. Anybody who wrote his win against Klitschko off as a fluke now has to think again. He validated himself last night for anybody who still needed convincing.

The future for the division is very interesting. Currently 3 main players and several others on their heels. I don't care whether we see a Fury/Wilder rematch or either against Joshua next, it'll all unfold over the next year. The heavyweight division is hot again.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

Fury obviously won that fight....clearly
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

I still think his win against Klitschko was a fluke, and his inability to find the courage to even show up for the rematch press conference confirmed that. I don't want to disparage Fury after he showed such heart last night, but let's not get carried away with hyperbole. Outboxing Wilder is not exactly a monumental achievement. Molina and Splika were out boxing Wilder ffs until they got caught.

Wilder is terrible and I am not sold on Fury yet either, although both have won me over with their gutsy displays ... Fury last night and Wilder after being badly hurt and dominated by Ortiz.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

If he had obviously won he'd have had his hand raised wouldn't he?
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

gilgamesh wrote:If he had obviously won he'd have had his hand raised wouldn't he?
Yes you would think.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

lurkyshaka wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:If he had obviously won he'd have had his hand raised wouldn't he?
Yes you would think.
The draw was fair.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

gilgamesh wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:
Yes you would think.
The draw was fair.
No it wasn't......not to the vast majority.

You're generally a good poster Gil, but I think you're actually the only person on here who thinks it was fair.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

lurkyshaka wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:
Yes you would think.
The draw was fair.
No it wasn't......not to the vast majority.

You're generally a good poster Gil, but I think you're actually the only person on here who thinks it was fair.
That's alright. I don't mind being the odd man out. Clowning around don't win rounds for me. Punching does.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

the draw is dubious. I am going to stop short of calling it a robbery, but it was the wrong decision imo.

This is similar to Canelo/golovkin 1, in that one of judges' scorecards was inexplicable and reeked of corruption. That fight I initially thought the draw was a robbery until I went back and carefully watched the fight without commentary and tried to understand what the judges could have been seeing. The big problem was one judge's score was completely indefensible. Same thing last night.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

gilgamesh wrote:
That's alright. I don't mind being the odd man out. Clowning around don't win rounds for me. Punching does.
But he was punching too....granted he wasn't putting up a Henry Armstrong type workrate, but he kept popping Wilder with punches and Wilder was landing virtually nothing and literally missing by yards.

Fury controlled the flow, tempo and for the majority of the fight Wilder looked totally clueless as to how to land on Fury. Even when he scored the KD's he wasn't able to follow up with any success and was actually put on the back foot himself by the end of the rounds.

Fury did to Wilder basically what he did to Klitschko....he shut their offense down for the most part and so he didn't have to be particularly busy to stay in charge and keep banking the rounds.

Even Lou Dibella walked straight up to Fury at the fights end and told him he'd won....though this morning Lou has changed his tune having obviously not realised the BT camera's caught what he said to Fury last night!!

Fury's style obviously grates on you and I can see why to a degree. He doesn't fit the bill of what you like your heavyweight champions to fight like. But he's very effective and has plenty of attributes that most modern heavyweights can only dream of possessing.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

more like they both kinda suck, innit?

Prime Mike Tyson dips both of them in butter and eats them for breakfast.

And Joshua isn't much better than either of them.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Fury won, no question. I admit that the optics of the only 2 knockdowns being those of the winner being the one knocked down are a bit troublesome, but we score all rounds? Otherwise, why would we score each and every round and add them up? Fury won.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Fury was the only one lying on the canvas. Twice.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

5_burowz wrote:Fury was the only one lying on the canvas. Twice.
Come on now Burowz......give him a little credit and acknowledge the way that boxing is scored! Fury won more rounds and had fun most of the night. Wilder had a couple of moments of vivid success, but then was actually pushed back himself in both of the KD rounds.

Wilder's also got a black eye today....so Fury should get extra kudos for that on the play ground...right?!
Though rumours that Wilder was hiding n had to be pulled out from under his bed prior to the first bell are unconfirmed at this time. :wink:
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

lurkyshaka wrote:
Come on now Burowz......give him a little credit and acknowledge the way that boxing is scored! Fury won more rounds and had fun most of the night. Wilder had a couple of moments of vivid success, but then was actually pushed back himself in both of the KD rounds.

Wilder's also got a black eye today....so Fury should get extra kudos for that on the play ground...right?!
Though rumours that Wilder was hiding n had to be pulled out from under his bed prior to the first bell are unconfirmed at this time. :wink:

The only reason it was a draw is because Fury is too fucking retarded to realize he was KO'd. Stop crying. You're a grown man for God's sake. A.J. better keep his ass in the house or he's next. Not sure he gets up though.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

yoloswaggy911 wrote:
lurkyshaka wrote:

The only reason it was a draw is because Fury is too fucking retarded to realize he was KO'd. Stop crying. You're a grown man for God's sake. A.J. better keep his ass in the house or he's next. Not sure he gets up though.
You're very cheery today....future is bright eh! lol
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

lurkyshaka wrote:

Let the record show that Lurky scored rounds to Fury for having fun

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”