Heavyweights who LOOKED like champs but just didn't have it.

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Re: Heavyweights who LOOKED like champs but just didn't have

Post by straycat »

J.J.Dillon wrote:
straycat wrote:Who was that freak ass big tall white guy knocking out no hoppers turned out to be a clown. Damn I hate when my 80's disease acts up.
Which one?
He kept waxing guys in one round and he would call out Tyson. Dude was 6'6 or 6'5 cant remember but he finally got exposed and fell off the boxing map but was a side show more so though he might of actually appeared on ESPN.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

First one that popped into my head was Gerrie Coetzee but that can't be him.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:
I cant remember seeing Brock again after that KO loss.
I think Brock ended up going blind in one eye, or some crazy shit like that. That's why he stopped fighting. I'll have to look it up....

I didn't know that. Very unfortunate. He is a nice guy.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

During the Chambers fight, Brock suffered some kind of retinal damage in his right eye. He had surgery on it it but somehow the surgery or the surgeon screwed it up more. He became legally blind.

BoxingTalk: What's the latest and greatest with Calvin Brock?

Calvin Brock: I've been searching for another career path. I had that surgery back in November on my eye, and now I can't box because I don't have vision in my right eye. But I'm standing on faith in God to fix that, then I'll get back to being champion of the world.

BoxingTalk: What prognosis have doctors given you about your eye injury?

Calvin Brock: I was going into the surgery just fine with my eye. There was a slight detachment in my retina, then the first week after the surgery there was a stoppage of blood flow in my retina. Normally there would be major side effects something like that, like headaches, nausea, and fever, but I didn't notice anything. The cells didn't get any oxygen and it was similar to a stroke, but in my eye. This is why the vision hasn't come back yet. This is a very rare probability. I've heard that the odds of this happening to someone my age is one in three to five thousand.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

Primetyme199 wrote:During the Chambers fight, Brock suffered some kind of retinal damage in his right eye. He had surgery on it it but somehow the surgery or the surgeon screwed it up more. He became legally blind.

_______

Damn. That is terrible.
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

just added his reply to a question about it in my other post.

Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

Primetyme199 wrote:During the Chambers fight, Brock suffered some kind of retinal damage in his right eye. He had surgery on it it but somehow the surgery or the surgeon screwed it up more. He became legally blind.

BoxingTalk: What's the latest and greatest with Calvin Brock?

Calvin Brock: I've been searching for another career path. I had that surgery back in November on my eye, and now I can't box because I don't have vision in my right eye. But I'm standing on faith in God to fix that, then I'll get back to being champion of the world.

BoxingTalk: What prognosis have doctors given you about your eye injury?

Calvin Brock: I was going into the surgery just fine with my eye. There was a slight detachment in my retina, then the first week after the surgery there was a stoppage of blood flow in my retina. Normally there would be major side effects something like that, like headaches, nausea, and fever, but I didn't notice anything. The cells didn't get any oxygen and it was similar to a stroke, but in my eye. This is why the vision hasn't come back yet. This is a very rare probability. I've heard that the odds of this happening to someone my age is one in three to five thousand.
_______

Sorry to hear this. These are the things which don't get much discussion. Dark side of the sport. I hope Brock is doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Strqy i keep thinking tye fields but hed be too young to call out tyson....
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Strqy i keep thinking tye fields but hed be too young to call out tyson....
Fields fits the criteria with the size and KO’s but he didn’t start until 99.

straycat

Post by straycat »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Strqy i keep thinking tye fields but hed be too young to call out tyson....
That was him. Big o deflect dude, he would scream "I Want Tyson"
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Primetyme199 wrote:
Fields fits the criteria with the size and KO’s but he didn’t start until 99.
I told you my 80's disease was acting up dammit
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Audley Harrison, for sure.

I should include Frank Bruno, but I'm not sure that is entirely fair to Bruno.

No Andrew Golota love on this thread?
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

That was him. Big o deflect dude, he would scream "I Want Tyson"
LOL... I was trying to think of his name too, but couldn't come up with it. I kept thinking his name was Travis or something like that. But I do remember him calling out an old/shot/faded Tyson. He used to remind of that big/tall chick that Anne Wold KO'd.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

That is at the time Tyson was flirting with a comeback and fought t-rex in an exhibition ppv.

I was thinking the same name though when stray said that but no way it was 80s
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Didn't Tyson end up fighting Clifford "the Black Rhino" Etienne instead?

There's another guy that TV told us was going to be something...and yeah, No.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Bruno poached a wbc title
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I love monte barret for drilling fields and exposing tua. Had he knocked out david haye or valuev he would be my favorite human
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Fields was supposedly an indian, as in native american.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:I love monte barret for drilling fields and exposing tua. Had he knocked out david haye or valuev he would be my favorite human
Vs Haye, one of the worse entrance by Barrett... Tried to jump over the ropes but got tangled

Fun fight though if i recall correctly
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

J.J.Dillon wrote:Didn't Tyson end up fighting Clifford "the Black Rhino" Etienne instead?

______

Evidently Etieene was really good in the Louisiana prison system's Boxing circuit . That was his background story. He couldnt stay out of trouble. Dude was always in and out of prison for making foolish decisions. Hes incarcerated currently for a life sentence, no parole.

"Born and raised in Louisiana, Etienne was a self-proclaimed "nerd" growing up. He attended St. Martinville High School where he was a standout linebacker, recruited by top colleges such as LSU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma.[1] This potential college football career was derailed by a 40-year prison sentence for armed robbery, which was committed at a shopping mall during his senior year. While incarcerated, Etienne, who then weighed 290 pounds, took up boxing and won the state prison boxing championship. While in prison he was a member of the "Gunslingers" prison boxing team in Louisiana and reportedly had a 30–0 prison record. He was released on good behavior after serving 10 years. While incarcerated, Etienne enrolled in classes at Southern University, and received high marks for his degree. " (Wikipedia )
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Bertel1 wrote:
J.J.Dillon wrote:Didn't Tyson end up fighting Clifford "the Black Rhino" Etienne instead?

______

Evidently Etieene was really good in the Louisiana prison system's Boxing circuit . That was his background story. He couldnt stay out of trouble. Dude was always in and out of prison for making foolish decisions. Hes incarcerated currently for a life sentence, no parole.

"Born and raised in Louisiana, Etienne was a self-proclaimed "nerd" growing up. He attended St. Martinville High School where he was a standout linebacker, recruited by top colleges such as LSU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma.[1] This potential college football career was derailed by a 40-year prison sentence for armed robbery, which was committed at a shopping mall during his senior year. While incarcerated, Etienne, who then weighed 290 pounds, took up boxing and won the state prison boxing championship. While in prison he was a member of the "Gunslingers" prison boxing team in Louisiana and reportedly had a 30–0 prison record. He was released on good behavior after serving 10 years. While incarcerated, Etienne enrolled in classes at Southern University, and received high marks for his degree. " (Wikipedia )

For those wondering why he ended up with a 102 year sentence

"Well known heavyweight Clifford Etienne was arrested Wednesday in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, on charges of armed robbery, kidnapping and the attempted murder of a police officer. Etienne allegedly robbed a local business, car-jacked a vehicle containing a woman and her children, then pulled a gun on police officers. He is being held in East Baton Rouge Parish Prison with a $70,000 bond.
On June 22, 2006, following his trial in Baton Rouge, Etienne was found guilty and sentenced to 160 years in prison without parole for an allegedly cocaine-fueled crime spree that included robbing a check cashing business, carjacking and attempting to shoot a police officer.[3] In April 2013 his sentence was reduced from 160 years to 105 years due to a technicality.[4] Etienne is now a painter, painting artwork from prison" (Wikipedia )
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

yoloswaggy911 wrote: For those wondering why he ended up with a 102 year sentence

"Well known heavyweight Clifford Etienne was arrested Wednesday in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, on charges of armed robbery, kidnapping and the attempted murder of a police officer. Etienne allegedly robbed a local business, car-jacked a vehicle containing a woman and her children, then pulled a gun on police officers. He is being held in East Baton Rouge Parish Prison with a $70,000 bond.
On June 22, 2006, following his trial in Baton Rouge, Etienne was found guilty and sentenced to 160 years in prison without parole for an allegedly cocaine-fueled crime spree that included robbing a check cashing business, carjacking and attempting to shoot a police officer.[3] In April 2013 his sentence was reduced from 160 years to 105 years due to a technicality.[4] Etienne is now a painter, painting artwork from prison" (Wikipedia )

He seems nice.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”