White on Zuffa Boxing: We won’t work with any sanctioning bo

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

White on Zuffa Boxing: We won’t work with any sanctioning bo

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/6/11/1 ... ue-mma-ufc

White on Zuffa Boxing: We won’t work with any sanctioning bodies, we’ll have our own league

While plans have yet to materialize, Dana White has been talking about his plans to start promoting boxing fights for a while now.

In his latest update on their targeted venture to another combat sport, the UFC President revealed that he doesn’t plan on working with any of the sanctioning bodies currently in place. As per an interview with White on the Australian Financial Review, Zuffa instead plans to create “a new league that it will own and control.”

“We will not work with the WBA, WBC, IBF, IBO, and WBO organizations,” White said.

White didn’t elaborate if they will be having their own champions and own rankings instead, or how exactly they plan on doing all that, especially with the Ali Act in place.

It is also worth noting that these sanctioning bodies seem to be part of the growing list of people and organizations in boxing that the UFC president vows he isn’t going to work with. White has already said he wouldn’t be working with Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, Bob Arum’s Top Rank, and Showtime Boxing.

That list has a sizable chunk of boxers and personalities involved, so does this mean that athletes under Zuffa would have issues securing fights against anyone under those banners? Well despite that peculiar situation they could possibly fall under, White claims there is interest from numerous boxers already.

”The interest is definitely there – all the fighters have reached out, other promoters have contacted us and everybody’s keen,” White said. “The question is how I make it work with bandwidth maxed out right now running the UFC’s business.”
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
CageyVeteran

Re: White on Zuffa Boxing: We won’t work with any sanctionin

Post by CageyVeteran »

At first I thought this would be a good idea, no more Diamond Elite, Super Champion, Regular Champion. Then I remembered UFC has Interim Champs too.

Plus if a boxer goes into UFC boxing, it's already bad enough certain promoters won't let their fighters fight other promotions. Doubt UFC fighters will fight outside of UFC.

So, basically this will be another sanctioning body like the alphabet gang, but it Is more intriguing because we will get fights that we want, that's UFC's business model. Until fighters are marketable that is ask Kamaru Usman, but UFC does make named fighters and champs fight high ranked fighters instead of these boxing organization mandatories who look good on paper but get waxed in a fight. Or fighters always bitching about A side, and purse split. Or champs taking on the 12th ranked guy only because he's a mandatory and highly ranked in one organization belt and a champ has more than one belt.

As I'm writing this, I'm flip flopping back and forth if this going to be or good or bad. I think it'll be good. Not every young boxer gets a huge contractor, they have to grind their way. UFC will be a more steady pay check if they follow MMA model, they also provide cutmen younger boxers who aren't well known will provide UFC with the talent. And when the contract is over they can go freelance and throw themselves at the alphabet gangs for huge paydays, providing the alphabet gangs will let them... Of course they would, if they're willing to pay sanctioning fees they'd let them. The question is then, how long will the alphabet gangs and UFC boxing coexist?
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Post by theVAMP »

I'm not sure how this will work unless they will be throwing a bunch of WBSS style tournaments.

They won't have the names to make the big fights.

So i guess they'll keep it in house until they build a guy big enough that the money will be worth playing with the others.

UFC and Top Rank both have a deal with ESPN so maybe they'll work together finally.

But Boxing is too far gone i think for someone to just change it overnight. It would take all the top names together to drop the belts.

Will Ring recognize the UFC Boxing champ in their ratings? They'd the Ring magazine champion and UFC champion? But wont fight any other the boxing champions?

Yeah, i'll like to see how this plays out.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

If he won't work with any of the top promoters they won't be making any meaningful fights. So why would anybody give a shit?
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

theVAMP wrote:I'm not sure how this will work unless they will be throwing a bunch of WBSS style tournaments.

They won't have the names to make the big fights.

So i guess they'll keep it in house until they build a guy big enough that the money will be worth playing with the others.

UFC and Top Rank both have a deal with ESPN so maybe they'll work together finally.

But Boxing is too far gone i think for someone to just change it overnight. It would take all the top names together to drop the belts.

Will Ring recognize the UFC Boxing champ in their ratings? They'd the Ring magazine champion and UFC champion? But wont fight any other the boxing champions?

Yeah, i'll like to see how this plays out.

Oscar just perked his ears up
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I think this is a serious venture... How they have oligopole type of control. shit load of money and the WWE marketing style... could end up being THE reference for mainstream fans
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

gilgamesh wrote:If he won't work with any of the top promoters they won't be making any meaningful fights.
This.

So why would anybody give a shit?
Not so much this, but OK.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

gilgamesh wrote: So why would anybody give a shit?
This. Boxing isn't MMA. He should stick to whatever he's been doing with the UFC these past couple years and stop the downward spiral. When it comes to the sweet science he'll always just be a bag carrier.

"Now, Dana, I wanna make sure we get to two coats of wax this time, not just one." Floyd to Dana, '98

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”