Did Golovkin make the right decision passing on $20m?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

You may select 1 option

View results

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Now that apparently the Canelo train has left the station and Oscar is negotiating with Hearn for a Jacobs fight, did Golovkin make the right decision for his career passing on $20m?
Cagiva9

Re: Did Golovkin make the right decision passing on $20m?

Post by Cagiva9 »

Don't know. Supposedly Golovkin is close to making a deal with Saunders as is Canelo with Jacobs. Could turn out to be a disaster for both or maybe it works out for both. Obviously winning is everything, if both win then I'm going to say YES, Golovkin made the right call.

As a fan, I'm good if both these fights happen instead, whoever wins.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Only blind GGG fans will say it was the right decision. If this was any other fighter, they'd be all over him for not taking the large payday.

How can being guaranteed to make 15-20 million+, then trying to get more, then ending up with nothing...be the right decision? In what world, universe, or dimension...is that the right decision?
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:Only blind GGG fans will say it was the right decision. If this was any other fighter, they'd be all over him for not taking the large payday.

How can being guaranteed to make 15-20 million+, then trying to get more, then ending up with nothing...be the right decision? In what world, universe, or dimension...is that the right decision?
Really? If Golovkin beats Saunders he has had a good payday and is in an even stronger bargaining position should Canelo beat Jacobs. Tell me please how having all the MW titles would not be good for GGG.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Really? If Golovkin beats Saunders he has had a good payday and is in an even stronger bargaining position should Canelo beat Jacobs. Tell me please how having all the MW titles would not be good for GGG.
Where is the source information that GGG is in negotiations with BJS? If he does get a fight with BJS, that's good. And don't forget, I was the one who said GGG should have negotiated a fight for mid-Summer, with BJS in the first place.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

If he clears out his 2 mandatories against dervey and charlo he will have fought two very tough opponents for peanuts compared to a canelo fight for generational wealth.

He wont fight charlo. My guess is he fights bjs and dervey to unify then moves up or retires should he win both
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:
Where is the source information that GGG is in negotiations with BJS? If he does get a fight with BJS, that's good. And don't forget, I was the one who said GGG should have negotiated a fight for mid-Summer, with BJS in the first place.
Yeah, you did say he should have negotiated with Saunders in the 1st place. But how can you say it was stupid GGG passed on this payday then. You're essentially saying GGG would have been stupid to take your advice.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Yeah, you did say he should have negotiated with Saunders in the 1st place. But how can you say it was stupid GGG passed on this payday then. You're essentially saying GGG would have been stupid to take your advice.
With the first Canelo rematch falling through, and I said their was no guarantee that GGG would get a Canelo fight, my first suggestion was to scrap that putrid Vanes fight, and fight a better opponent. If not his mandatory or Andrade on May 5th, or negotiate with BJS for mid summer. GGG did neither of those.

Now that he DID begin to negotiate with Canelo for a fight in September, he should have taken the money. Now he currently has no fight with Canelo, or a fight with Saunders. Still a stupid decision to pass up 15-20 million dollars.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

With the first Canelo rematch falling through, and I said their was no guarantee that GGG would get a Canelo fight, my first suggestion was to scrap that putrid Vanes fight, and fight a better opponent. If not his mandatory or Andrade on May 5th, or negotiate with BJS for mid summer. GGG did neither of those.

Now that he DID begin to negotiate with Canelo for a fight in September, he should have taken the money. Now he currently has no fight with Canelo, or a fight with Saunders. Still a stupid decision to pass up 15-20 million dollars.
But him doing what you wanted him to do is still passing up on that same 15-20 million. So how is it not a stupid decision to just agree to another fight and take himself out of running for a fight with Canelo (since you said he should fight Saunders in mid july or August) without even negotiating, but it is stupid now? He's still not getting that 15-20 million if he agrees to a fight with Saunders now instead of right after his fight with Vanes.
Hillsinitialrebirth

But him doing what you wanted him to do is still passing up on that same 15-20 million. So how is it not a stupid decision to just agree to another fight and take himself out of running for a fight with Canelo (since you said he should fight Saunders in mid july or August) without even negotiating, but it is stupid now? He's still not getting that 15-20 million if he agrees to a fight with Saunders now instead of right after his fight with Vanes.
Him passing up on 15-20 million(making a stand as you say), for a fight(BJS) that would have been more lucrative than a Vanes/Derevenchenko/Andrade, would have been good, if only for the fact of missing out on such a big payday. But as we currently sit, he has NOTHING. None of that happened.

Now lets talk about what DID happen:

GGG started to negotiate with Canelo again, and priced himself out of a fight, a fight where he would've earned FAR more that any other fight, even while getting "low balled." So answering the original question in this thread, he DID NOT make the right decision walking away from 20 million.

It was a stupid decision, and that's money he probably never gets back. For once, just call a spade a spade. It was dumb...
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Him passing up on 15-20 million(making a stand as you say), for a fight(BJS) that would have been more lucrative than a Vanes/Derevenchenko/Andrade, would have been good, if only for the fact of missing out on such a big payday. But as we currently sit, he has NOTHING. None of that happened.

Now lets talk about what DID happen:

GGG started to negotiate with Canelo again, and priced himself out of a fight, a fight where he would've earned FAR more that any other fight, even while getting "low balled." So answering the original question in this thread, he DID NOT make the right decision walking away from 20 million.

It was a stupid decision, and that's money he probably never gets back. For once, just call a spade a spade. It was dumb...
But he passes up on the same money whether he agreed to a fight when you wanted him to agree to it, or after this round of negotiations with Canelo. The outcome is still the same. The outcome is he doesn't get the money he would have gotten if he agreed to the deal with Canelo. You can't say one is stupid over the other when both outcomes are the same. And you say he has none of this stuff now, but Saunders isn't fighting anyone. He backed out of the fight with Murray so it's not like Saunders is unavailable. So we could still get this fight next. The end result though is still the same. GGG misses out on a fight with Canelo and thus misses out on a 15-20 million payday. Only difference is how you wanted him to miss out was by completely forgetting about the fight and not even bothering negotiating. So if he's stupid for not accepting the offer then he is just as if not more stupid for bypassing the same 15-20 million by not even bother negotiating with Canelo. So the one who should be calling a spade a spade is you.
Last edited by TheSickness316 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Until either of these two sign to fight someone else, this question need not be answered. To be continued...
Hillsinitialrebirth

But he passes up on the same money whether he agreed to a fight when you wanted him to agree to it, or after this round of negotiations with Canelo. The outcome is still the same. The outcome is he doesn't get the money he would have gotten if he agreed to the deal with Canelo. You can't say one is stupid over the other when both outcomes are the same. And you say he has none of this stuff now, but Saunders isn't fighting anyone. He backed out of the fight with Murray so it's not like Saunders is unavailable. So we could still get this fight next. The end result though is still the same. GGG misses out on a fight with Canelo and thus misses out on a 15-20 million payday. Only difference is how you wanted him to miss out was by completely forgetting about the fight and not even bothering negotiating. So if he's stupid for not accepting the offer then he is just as if not more stupid for bypassing the same 15-20 million by not even bother negotiating with Canelo. So the one who should be calling a spade a spade is you.
The ball was in GGG's court in these latest negotiations, he demanded more money, thus forcing the fight not happen in September. It was not like in May, when Canelo cheated, and he had no control over that fight being cancelled.

Simple question:

Do you think he made the right choice in walking away from 20 million?
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

He maintains his value more, and his bargaining position by continuing to win. Since Canelo is the reason their scheduled May contest got cancelled GGG deserved to be compensated in some way for the effort he'd put into training, and preparing for the fight that didn't take place.

He also deserved compensation for the fact that the deck is gonna be stacked against him from the judges and referee, and HE'S the Champion. Not Canelo.

Ultimately they're gonna wind up fighting other people, and that suits me fine.

I'd assume GGG gets 3 to 5 Million at this point regardless of who he fights huh? I don't know where you guys come from, but where I come from that ain't "peanuts"

If he continues to win, the Canelo rematch will still be there at a later date.

Sometimes it's worth a pay cut to just not take shit from anybody. At least to people with pride.
Last edited by gilgamesh on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted_Scenes

Post by Deleted_Scenes »

Why is the discussion all about the money?

We're fans. We don't get paid.

If we get GGG vs Saunders instead, for me that's a lot better, and we get an undisputed champion, so it's better for Golovkin's legacy too.

Golovkin already has more money than I could ever spend. I really couldn't give a hoot how much he earns or doesn't, from this point on.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

The ball was in GGG's court in these latest negotiations, he demanded more money, thus forcing the fight not happen in September. It was not like in May, when Canelo cheated, and he had no control over that fight being cancelled.

Simple question:

Do you think he made the right choice in walking away from 20 million?
Yes. As I've stated before, the 65-35 split is awful and lowballing GGG. If he was offered a split of 60-40 or 55-45 (obviously in Canelo's favor) and this still happened, I'd call out and say GGG is being stupid since I think either one of those splits I mentioned is more than suitable. But since the split offered to him comes across to me as Oscar and GBP truly not wanting this fight, I think he made the right move. Yes, it's a lot of money, but there needs to be some financial upping for GGG because this isn't like the fight was cancelled because of an injury or a situation like what happened with Berto when he was supposed to fight Mosley happened. This all fell apart because of a failed drug test by Canelo and Oscar and GBP didn't want to pay more because of Canelo's choices. And I feel GGG should get paid more, and this whole split Oscar offered to me just comes across as you take what he choose to give you and we're not here to make things right. So I think he is right with walking away.
Drinquor

Post by Drinquor »

Definitely the wrong decision!
According to Fat Dan, GBP revised the split to 60-40 and Golovkin still declined.
Now the IBF has stripped him of his belt. Good job Golovkin.
NoPropaganda 253

Drinquor wrote:Definitely the wrong decision!
According to Fat Dan, GBP revised the split to 60-40 and Golovkin still declined.
Only good thing about this is Jacobs and Charlo sit at #2 and #3, respectively, with the #1 spot vacant per Fight News. Perfect world Jacobs gets Canelo, Charlo lands the vacant title bout against Dervewhateverko and Golovkin unifies with Saunders. Don't hold your breath for that sequence.

Edit: According to Fight Hype these are the current IBF rankings although Tureano Johnson was nowhere to be found on the IBF's April/May ranks.
The current IBF rankings are:

1 Tureano Johnson

2 Sergiy Derevyanchenko

3 Jermall Charlo

4 David Lemieux

5 Daniel Jacobs

6 Chris Eubank Jr

7 Arif Magomedov

8 Robert Brant

9 Maciej Sulecki

10 Matvey Korobov
http://www.fighthype.com/news/article33755.html

Need Professor Stat to straighten this mess out.
Last edited by NoPropaganda 253 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
Only good thing about this is Jacobs and Charlo sit at #2 and #3, respectively, with the #1 spot vacant per Fight News. Perfect world Jacobs gets Canelo, Charlo lands the vacant title bout against Dervewhateverko and Golovkin unifies with Saunders. Don't hold your breath for that sequence.
If Gil ends up being right with his theory in the IBF strips GGG thread, you could possibly get 2 of your 3 scenarios.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Yeah NoProp,

And if you sprinkle some glitter on your kid's toy horse, it will turn into a real unicorn in the morning :)
Hillsinitialrebirth

Sick,

If this information from Fat Ass is correct, and the split was revised to 60-40...is GGG still right for declining?
NoPropaganda 253

TheSickness316 wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
If Gil ends up being right with his theory in the IBF strips GGG thread, you could possibly get 2 of your 3 scenarios.
Canelo isn't even ranked by the IBF, but that shit won't stop 'em if they can get him in vs. Derv
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:Sick,

If this information from Fat Ass is correct, and the split was revised to 60-40...is GGG still right for declining?
No. As I stated, if that offer was actually given (which I think Oscar is lying about) he is wrong for declining. I have always felt 60-40 was a good split (it's what Manny got vs. Floyd) and it is good here.

But I personally don't think Oscar ever offered that. I read that he said he was willing to give that, but doing so contradicts another quote of Oscar in that article when he said they're sticking to their demands. And the demands he said even before this that they're sticking to was the 65-35 split. So Oscar goes against his own words.

So to answer your question again, if GGG was in fact offered said split, he was wrong in declining and he was stupid to decline it.
NoPropaganda 253

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:Sick,

I did read Oscar say he was willing to budge and if Golovkin was advised to pass on 60-40 at this stage of his career, knowing Team Princess's shifty finagling ways, financially, this would be the most ignorant of Loeffler's wacky checkers maneuvers. Readin Loeffler's most recent statements on not wanting to budge leads credence to Fatter's news.
#CaneloIsAUnicorn #DeathToUnicorns
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

The IBF move causes me to rethink. Where before the only road for Canelo to any significant MW title would have been through Golovkin, that is not now the case.

I can't help but believe that is by design.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”