Crawford stopped Horn in 9 Saturday

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Crawford stopped Horn in 9 Saturday

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Bob, the Snake Oil Salesman is up to his old tricks. Even though this is a fight that needs to take place, it's nowhere near being PPV worthy. Bob's ESPN shows have been OK, but at least they were "free". Even Manny-Horn was on regular ESPN. But now, he throws TC-Horn on PPV??? Way to go Bob. Way to shrink your audience, and turn people off.

Thus is boxing...

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/2 ... ndalay-bay
TheSickness316

Re: TC-Horn will be on...yes(sigh)...PPV!!!

Post by TheSickness316 »

Not to mention this article is saying the co-main event will be Manny vs. Alvarado.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Golovkin /Jacobs did about 150K I'm guessing this will do about the same. I don't get it, Crawford needs the exposure not a ppv bomb. Nobody is going to make money and it doesn't do much to set up Crawford for future fights if nobody sees him. weird...
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

It's on PPV in order to pay the purses. Sucks, but that's what it is.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Cagiva9 wrote:Golovkin /Jacobs did about 150K I'm guessing this will do about the same. I don't get it, Crawford needs the exposure not a ppv bomb. Nobody is going to make money and it doesn't do much to set up Crawford for future fights if nobody sees him. weird...
Didn't he already have 1 PPV bomb already?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Def not top PPV material...BUT

It will sell LOTS of PPVs in Australia AND Pacquiao vs a latino warrior might sell more in USA than expected.

Maybe more like 300K or something
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

the13r wrote:Def not top PPV material...BUT

It will sell LOTS of PPVs in Australia AND Pacquiao vs a latino warrior might sell more in USA than expected.

Maybe more like 300K or something
When it comes to the USA numbers (which is what I am thinking you're talking about 300k number), how much do you think that will be because of Manny and not the main event? I mean, if I remember correctly Manny vs. Vargas did 300k and that was a Top Rank PPV. So if Manny vs. Vargas did the number you're predicting for this upcoming card could it be easy to assume that the number is because of Manny and not Horn vs. Crawford?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

the 300K included the Aussie buys, Pac fans in USA and latino fans for Alvarado. I'd include Crawford buys but not sure he is THAT known (people ready to pay to see him).
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Just seems short sighted to have this be ppv in the US. If toprank wants Crawford to shine they need to expose him to as many fans as possible. I'm pretty sure that Crawford could be a star but not if only a couple hundred thousand American fans are watching. Put it on ESPN and they would pull in over a million.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Cagiva9 wrote:Just seems short sighted to have this be ppv in the US. If toprank wants Crawford to shine they need to expose him to as many fans as possible. I'm pretty sure that Crawford could be a star but not if only a couple hundred thousand American fans are watching. Put it on ESPN and they would pull in over a million.
It would be smart especially if Manny is fighting on the same card.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

the13r wrote:the 300K included the Aussie buys, Pac fans in USA and latino fans for Alvarado. I'd include Crawford buys but not sure he is THAT known (people ready to pay to see him).
Oh. Okay. Thinking of it that way, unless we feel Manny has fallen that far in terms of popularity, 300k would seem kind of low.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Aussie buys don't count. PPV numbers are for USA and Canada. It will bomb domestically.

They could put it on ESPN and still have it as a ppv in Australia.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

TheSickness316 wrote:
Yes. Crawford vs Postol was a Top Rank PPV. It was a disaster. Did something like 50k buys.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

Canvas wrote:Aussie buys don't count. PPV numbers are for USA and Canada. It will bomb domestically.

Agree with this. Maybe Arum does not feel he can make enough money to pay TC and Manny?

TC needs a broad audience for a few fights in a row. Manny and Horn averaged over 3 million viewers and peaked almost at 4.5 million. TC needs that broad exposure to help his profile among the general public.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Canvas wrote:
TheSickness316 wrote:
Yes. Crawford vs Postol was a Top Rank PPV. It was a disaster. Did something like 50k buys.
And that to me is showing more why they want Manny's fight on this card also.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Danielk015 wrote:
Canvas wrote:Aussie buys don't count. PPV numbers are for USA and Canada. It will bomb domestically.

Agree with this. Maybe Arum does not feel he can make enough money to pay TC and Manny?

TC needs a broad audience for a few fights in a row. Manny and Horn averaged over 3 million viewers and peaked almost at 4.5 million. TC needs that broad exposure to help his profile among the general public.
If he thinks that then I don't see how they can have this on PPV. Manny got 10 million for fighting Horn that as you said peaked at 4.5 million. So it shows that at least with Manny, people are more than willing to watch him on ESPN. But with PPV, Top Rank has to pay for everything. And if Manny is still getting 10 million and Crawford gets whatever he is supposed to get, I just don't see how they can afford to pay their purses and be able to call the PPV a financial success.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

TheSickness316 wrote:
Canvas wrote:
TheSickness316 wrote:
And that to me is showing more why they want Manny's fight on this card also.
I agree.
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

Put Loma on the undercard against somebody good and I’d pay for it.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Well all I can say to this is, Allah Be Praised for Astor. :lol:
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

It will be on espn ppv and they will promote it heavily. Factor that in with your ppv sale predictions
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:It will be on espn ppv and they will promote it heavily. Factor that in with your ppv sale predictions
How did the far superior PPV they did in 2005 do sales wise? Factor that in.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

gilgamesh wrote:
jeff_lacy_ko wrote:It will be on espn ppv and they will promote it heavily. Factor that in with your ppv sale predictions
Was that the card with Mosley?
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

TheSickness316 wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:
Was that the card with Mosley?
Yep. Margarito vs Kermit Cintron, Mosley vs David somebody I forget who...Calvin Brock vs Jameel McCline...and one other bout, but I forget what it was. Juan Diaz was originally supposed to be the opener, but that got axed at the last minute I think.

I never heard the numbers for that PPV, but I don't expect it did very well because I don't recall ESPN doing another one :lol:

I was one of the few buyers for it back in the day though. The card was good, and the price was right.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

gilgamesh wrote: Yep. Margarito vs Kermit Cintron, Mosley vs David somebody I forget who...Calvin Brock vs Jameel McCline...and one other bout, but I forget what it was. Juan Diaz was originally supposed to be the opener, but that got axed at the last minute I think.

I never heard the numbers for that PPV, but I don't expect it did very well because I don't recall ESPN doing another one :lol:

I was one of the few buyers for it back in the day though. The card was good, and the price was right.
I thought I remember seeing ppv numbers years ago, but don't remember what they were and can't find an article talking about it. But yeah, them not apparently doing a PPV since (I also don't recall them ever doing another PPV) but I think it is safe to say the PPV didn't exactly do that well.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Not an apt comparison. Espn is in the actual thick of the boxing business now whereas before it was fnf with a random ppv. They promote their cards well. I bet it does a decent number. Not ouf of this world but respectable

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”