Olympians Browne & Spence won by Stoppage Saturday

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Presteezh
President Of Zab Nation

Olympians Browne & Spence won by Stoppage Saturday

Post by Presteezh »

https://www.ringtv.com/519503-errol-spe ... -showtime/
Errol Spence broke through in 2017, but unfortunately, he only had one fight.

He should be more active in 2018, though, since his first fight is coming in the year’s first month.

Spence will make the first defense of his IBF welterweight title against Lamont Peterson in January at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., a source who was not authorized to speak publicly told RingTV.com. The bout will be televised by Showtime and will officially be announced on Saturday junior middleweight telecast. BoxingScene.com reported the date is January 13.

Spence (22-0, 19 knockouts) jumped on the road in his first title shot and stopped Kell Brook in the 11th round after breaking the Brit’s orbital bone. Brook represented the toughest opponent of Spence’s career, and now the Texan will meet another formidable foe.

Peterson (35-3-1, 17 KOs) is a former junior welterweight champion and remains one of the best fighters at 147 pounds, but he’s been woefully inactive since 2015. The 33-year-old topped David Avanesyan in February, the D.C. native’s last outing.

Before that, he was party to two controversial decisions in ’15, one that went his way, and one that didn’t (loss to Danny Garcia, victory over Felix Diaz).

The fight will be Spence’s first primetime main event on Showtime, and at 27, the Olympian has a chance to really make 2018 his coming out party.

Mike Coppinger is the Senior Writer for RingTV.com. Follow him on Twitter: @MikeCoppinger
Presteezh
President Of Zab Nation

Re: Spence vs Peterson Jan. 2018

Post by Presteezh »

Nice Risk and hoping Thurman follows.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Presteezh wrote:Nice Risk and hoping Thurman follows.
Thurman will be fighting Porter next, since 2Hands is doing his usual thing with Rios. Late '18 at the earliest imo. Fatter reported Spence will receive 3.5 for Peterson which is amazing if true.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
Thurman will be fighting Porter next, since 2Hands is doing his usual thing with Rios. Late '18 at the earliest imo. Fatter reported Spence will receive 3.5 for Peterson which is amazing if true.
That right there is what's wrong with Boxing.

3.5 Million for a fight that will attract very little interest outside of the dyed in the wool hardcore boxing fans.

No wonder these guys have no motivation to fight the big fights these days.

Spence will kick Peterson's ass, and it won't be particularly competitive.
NoPropaganda 253

gilgamesh wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
That right there is what's wrong with Boxing.

3.5 Million for a fight that will attract very little interest outside of the dyed in the wool hardcore boxing fans.

No wonder these guys have no motivation to fight the big fights these days.

Spence will kick Peterson's ass, and it won't be particularly competitive.
Spence is cut from that old school cloth. He's no 2Hands or Santa Cruz or Stevenson. See, that your problem. You wanna put an entire group of fighters in one box when it's not that. Fighter by fighter, man.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

I wasn't insulting Spence. I was insulting the fact that he's getting overpaid for a fight that frankly isn't that interesting. I think Spence is an awesome young talent myself, and I'd favor him to beat anybody at Welterweight right now. Including Keith, Danny, Porter and everyone else.

Crawford moving up will be the biggest challenge to him.
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Post by theVAMP »

Looking forward to this one. Peterson always comes to fight.

And Spence has alot to prove.

Wont be much stepping back... this about to be a bodyshot festival.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

I don’t like the fight, but coming off of fighting Brook I’ll give it a pass.

Spence Thurman should happen by mid 2018 or they’re fuckin around
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

gilgamesh wrote:I wasn't insulting Spence. I was insulting the fact that he's getting overpaid for a fight that frankly isn't that interesting. I think Spence is an awesome young talent myself, and I'd favor him to beat anybody at Welterweight right now. Including Keith, Danny, Porter and everyone else.

________

interesting you mentioned Crawford. I think he is serious problem to the majority.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Oh yeah definitely. He'll be a force at Welterweight when he moves up, which I expect will be next year. He's already talking like he's done with 140, and considering there's really nothing left for him to accomplish at 140 I figure he'll definitely be at Welterweight next year. Albeit against overmatched opponents for his first fight or two I figure. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, and be wrong on that.
NoPropaganda 253

gilgamesh wrote:I wasn't insulting Spence. I was insulting the fact that he's getting overpaid for a fight that frankly isn't that interesting. I think Spence is an awesome young talent myself, and I'd favor him to beat anybody at Welterweight right now. Including Keith, Danny, Porter and everyone else.

You insinuated Spence would lose motivation after receiving 3.5 mill for fighting Peterson a little bit. If I took it the wrong way, my bad. The revenue for our sport is so fickle fighters have to earn when they can. For some, like the fighters I listed, the large purses do prevent some fights from playing out. All across the globe.

This weekends card is not an example of bs matchmaking, save Lara/Gausha fight. Lara should be fighting his mandatory with Andrade who jumped to HBO and a new division it seems.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

No disrespect intended to Peterson, but since when has he ever been one of the best at 147? This seems like a mismatch
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:

You insinuated Spence would lose motivation after receiving 3.5 mill for fighting Peterson a little bit. If I took it the wrong way, my bad. The revenue for our sport is so fickle fighters have to earn when they can. For some, like the fighters I listed, the large purses do prevent some fights from playing out. All across the globe.

This weekends card is not an example of bs matchmaking, save Lara/Gausha fight. Lara should be fighting his mandatory with Andrade who jumped to HBO and a new division it seems.
Yeah I wasn't insinuating Spence would lose motivation. I don't think he's that kinda fighter, but you can see how a lot of guys would. Or you can see why a lot of guys wouldn't care to fight risky opponents for 6 Million when they can fight a no-hoper for 3.

The step up in pay between a lesser opponent to a major fight should be huge. So huge that fighters would be stupid NOT to want the big fights.
theVAMP

Post by theVAMP »

Peterson was just a title holder at 147 he just vacated his share of the WBA championship to make this fight... this is practically a unification match... and i know i know... super champ, reg champ, kinda champ, maybe champ.. champ a little bit... That's exactly what Thurman was when Mayweather was around... so Peterson should get the same respect.

Now it's not good enough?... Had Peterson kept his title, someone was going to have to fight him... and that someone would have had to have been worthy... so now Peterson isn't worthy to challenge Spence in his first title defense?...

I know everyone is high on Spence, but he's just begun. He has some building of a resume to do as well... so let him build it and prove he's what people think he is, not judging him by what you think he is... and not what he actually is... a champion who has yet to defend.
theVAMP

Post by theVAMP »

Many felt Peterson did enough vs Garcia...

and he got the nod vs Khan...

He's not Berto or some shit... and Berto before the Porter fight, many would have accepted it.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

theVAMP wrote:Many felt Peterson did enough vs Garcia...

He's not Berto or some shit... and Berto before the Porter fight, many would have accepted it.
Exactly, Peterson is a good fighter (at worst he should have drawn with Garcia) and this isn't a bad fight. The chances of him upsetting Spence are slim but I feel that way about everyone in the division right now.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

He's a good fighter certainly, just hasn't really been active of late so he's not really on the radar screen for big fights to me.

I thought Garcia edged him ever so slightly, but I can see how people disagree with that one. I forget how I scored the Khan fight, but it felt like one of those fights where a 1 point margin of victory either way seemed fair enough.
theVAMP

Post by theVAMP »

gilgamesh wrote:

He's a good fighter certainly, just hasn't really been active of late so he's not really on the radar screen for big fights to me.

I thought Garcia edged him ever so slightly, but I can see how people disagree with that one. I forget how I scored the Khan fight, but it felt like one of those fights where a 1 point margin of victory either way seemed fair enough.
I'm just saying, If we know the status of Garcia... Porter... Thurman... this is probably one of the best fights Spence could have made at 147 outside of those 3.

Not counting Crawford or Horn or whatever the hell Bob has going on over there. Mainly out of the Haymon stable.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Oh yeah I forgot Bob has Crawford AND Horn. Which virtually guarantees that Crawford will be getting a shot at Horn for Horn's belt at some point next year.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

theVAMP wrote:Peterson was just a title holder at 147 he just vacated his share of the WBA championship to make this fight... this is practically a unification match... and i know i know... super champ, reg champ, kinda champ, maybe champ.. champ a little bit... That's exactly what Thurman was when Mayweather was around... so Peterson should get the same respect.

Now it's not good enough?... Had Peterson kept his title, someone was going to have to fight him... and that someone would have had to have been worthy... so now Peterson isn't worthy to challenge Spence in his first title defense?...

I know everyone is high on Spence, but he's just begun. He has some building of a resume to do as well... so let him build it and prove he's what people think he is, not judging him by what you think he is... and not what he actually is... a champion who has yet to defend.
Is this fight getting seriously knocked? From what Ive seen consensus is thats it's fine as a first defense.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

I think Peterson is a good fighter, and I felt like he beat Garcia. With that said with the step up in weight, Peterson may be in over his head with Spence. Granted Spence still needs to be tested moreso, but Spence would have the size advantage. Off the top of my head, I would assume Spence would be the favorite.
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

Fine fight, if a bit uninteresting, as I don't think it will be remotely competitive. Welterweight looking even thinner at the top right now than it already had, which was pretty thin as it was. Some young undefeated guys coming up the ranks right now could add an injection in a year or two though, not to mention whenever Crawford moves up.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Peterson is going to get lit up. Let's not pretend that he won't.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I think he'll get competitively lit up ...if that makes any sense.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:
I think he'll get competitively lit up ...if that makes any sense.
It does, and I agree.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”